The Commercial team deals with everything to do with cost-effective building, including quantity surveying, estimating, procurement and material buying.
With a watching brief on choice of material, cost, customer satisfaction and sales, and other critical issues, our Commercial team – which comprises Estimators, Quantity Surveyors and Material Buyers - has one objective: to deliver best quality homes, at the best possible cost. Their work is fundamental to our continued viability as a business and presents a fast-moving challenge that will exercise your creativity and commercial flair to the full.
Assist with commercial and surveying responsibilities for a Site. Assist in compiling all necessary reports and schedules as required, and undertake all general commercial administrative duties, including filing, emails, chasing down emails and phone calls, and ensuring a general tidiness to Commercial presentation. A keen learner, willing to assist with all sub-contractor procedures and processes, materials and goods, whilst always checking compliance with Group Policies and Procedures.
- Assist with maintaining cost control throughout development.
- Assist with accurate costing for each aspect of site development.
- Assist with compiling reports on costs and cash flows using the support systems available, as well as reports for the Division as required.
- Assist with preparation of tenders and procurement of sub-contractors using Group Tender procedures.
- Process Subcontract orders, payments and variations, using Excel and Group payment system (COINS).
- Understand and assist with evaluation and agreement of variations and instructions.
- Assist with controlling all commercial aspects and responsibilities with regards to respective RSL's.
- Attend all team meetings as required.
- General departmental administration.
- Provide other appropriate ad hoc duties, and administrative support as and when required.
- Maintain relevant filing systems and databases.
- Promote and act in accordance with Group values, systems, policies and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with Group IT systems.
- Working within the guidelines set out within the Group policies and procedures
- Assist with the compilation of all weekly, monthly and quarterly reports as required
- Be aware of new materials and methods of construction which the company may employ
Personal characteristics / qualifications and skills:
- Studying or recently qualified in surveying.
- Must carry a valid CSCS card
- Highly numerate with excellent attention to detail, able to gather, interpret and present data to facilitate preparation of budgets and subsequent valuations
- Methodical, conscientious and organised, works to deliver high standards
- Intermediate to advanced level of proficiency with MS Office and Excel programs and a good standard of written English. Ability to generate professional correspondence unaided
- Articulate, clear and credible, and able to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Able to work on own initiative
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to build effective working relationships both internally and externally
- Self–disciplined, with demonstrably good time management skills and the ability to manage a number of priorities
- Ability to multi-task, and work efficiently and accurately.
- Team player, and supportive of colleagues
- Professional and pleasant manner in dealing with internal and external customers.
What about the benefits package?
- Competitive base salary
- Bonus Scheme
- 25 days holidays
- Choice of Flexible Benefits
- Money Purchase Pension Scheme
- Company Car or Cash Allowance