The Commercial team deals with everything to do with cost-effective building, including quantity surveying, estimating, procurement and material buying.
With a watching brief on choice of material, cost, customer satisfaction and sales, and other critical issues, our Commercial team – which comprises Estimators, Quantity Surveyors and Material Buyers - has one objective: to deliver best quality homes, at the best possible cost. Their work is fundamental to our continued viability as a business and presents a fast-moving challenge that will exercise your creativity and commercial flair to the full.
Reporting to the Commercial Director, you will support site development and the attainment of targets by ensuring and managing: preparation of commercial cost appraisals and viability/feasibility analysis; the procurement of sub-contractors, materials and goods; the preparation and monitoring of site costs and budgets; and site start health and safety.
- Manage the work of the Surveying Team and take responsibility for achieving targets in relation to: accurate build cost assessments of acquired land acquisitions; budget control throughout development; cost overruns within tolerance levels; and ensuring sites accord with Group procedures.
- Accurate costing and preparation of budgets for each aspect of site development.
- Contribute to the conceptual designs/options for the determination of site values.
- Identify and procure sub-contractors, using Group Tender procedures where appropriate, and the procurement of goods and materials.
- Implement a payments system for the payment of sub-contractors and the supply of goods and materials in line with Group policy and procedures.
- Support the Commercial Director in ensuring that the Commercial Team are fully resourced and well-directed, with clear guidelines to their own job responsibilities, and are provided with full support in achieving these, in terms of communication, training and development, and the organisation of the department’s workload.
- Appropriate reporting to the Commercial Director in a standardised format and schedule.
- Ensure compliance with Group IT systems.
- Promote and act in accordance with Group values, systems, policies and procedures
Key Skills Required:
- Proven track record in similar role or at the level of Chief/Senior Quantity Surveyor.
- Highly numerate with excellent attention to detail, able to gather, interpret and present data to facilitate preparation of budgets and subsequent valuations.
- Strong IT skills, working knowledge of computer systems within the commercial environment, i.e. project management/payment and valuation software.
- Experience of managing budgets/cost control.
- Articulate, clear and credible, and able to thrive under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Able to contribute towards the resolution of disputes, problems and cost issues.
- Good interpersonal and team management skills, able to motivate and coach the Surveying Team to their full potential.
- Competitive salary
- Annual Bonus
- Private Medical Insurance
- Company Car or Cash Allowance
- Company Pension Scheme
- Death in Service Benefit
- Annual Medical Screening
- Choice of lifestyle and flexible benefits