The Design & Technical teams are involved in all aspects of housing design and innovation. This team is also responsible for researching the best materials, at the best cost.
In terms of design, there’s the sheer variety of our sites, many of them brownfield and all of them with unique problems to solve. Our drive for sustainability, value and ever changing building and environmental legislation means that innovative and unique solutions are required. Most of the people in this team have an architectural or engineering background, and for all, we offer the opportunity to gain expertise in design and project management in a challenging thought-provoking setting.
- Obtaining technical drawings and approvals to enable efficient site starts.
- Minimising risk through provision of timely and high quality information.
- Brief, manage and drive the external consultants in the preparation and issue of production information to an agreed programme, fee and scope.
- Prepare the Design Programme and present it at Progression Meetings.
- Ensure all statutory enquiries, sewer connections and other section agreements are submitted and pursued for their timely return.
- Oversee the NHBC/Building Regulations applications to approval.
- Ensure that working drawings are in accordance with the approved planning scheme, and ensure discharge of planning conditions. To monitor and control all production information in close liaison with the Development Estimator to ensure tight cost controls are kept and information produced in line with budget estimates.
- Monitor and control the professional fees budget and update fee reports on monthly basis.
- Oversee preparation of brochure plans, conveyance plans and sales area drawings.
- Attend site progress meetings and carry out site inspection.
- Attend meetings at various stages of projects (Land/Technical hand-over, Project Meeting, Optimisation, Progression, Technical/Sales, Budget Meetings, etc.)
- General liaison and coordination between other parties, both internal and external.
- Attend subcontractor interviews.
- Respond to site queries and resolve Technical/Construction problems.
- Issuing drawings and information for construction purposes.
- Must be able to manage external consultants and control external fees and expenditure.
- Co-ordination and checking of all technical information and distribution.
- The commissioning, co-ordination and checking of various specialist suppliers' designs and integrate their requirements into the working drawing packages.
- Liaise with NHBC, resolving technical & design issues.
- To register, resolve and monitor where appropriate site queries from production management to enable progressive product development.
- Liaise with Regional teams in the production of layouts.
- Liaise with Design team to ensure co-ordination of tender and construction drawings
- Liaise with Sales & Marketing regarding site brochure production.
- Design economically and understand the commercial aspects of design decisions.
- Produce designs in agreed timescales to ensure regional forecasts are achieved.
- Must be able to communicate well at all levels internally within the group and externally with public bodies.
- Embrace innovative solutions to resolve technical and design issues.
- Should have a broad understanding of corporate vision and policies.
- Work with the project team to ensure the most desired and economical decisions are made and implemented into the design.
CDM and CPD
- Embrace Health and Safety.
- Discharge the designer’s responsibilities under CDM regulations.
- Must undertake continuous professional development.
Primary network - who you will work with
Internal: Divisional Department Heads, site based staff
External: Government Departments, Regulatory Bodies
- Design and engineering construction knowledge
- Technical and Building Construction knowledge
- Building Regulations
- NHBC legislation
- Health & Safety / CDM Regulations
- Experience of co-ordinating, managing and providing technical guidance and support to residential developments.
- Competitive salary
- Company bonus scheme
- 25 days holiday
- Car/car allowance
- Money Purchase pension scheme
- Death in Service benefit
- Choice of flexible benefits