The Design & Technical teams are involved in all aspects of housing design and innovation. This team is also responsible for researching the best materials, at the best cost.
In terms of design, there’s the sheer variety of our sites, many of them brownfield and all of them with unique problems to solve. Our drive for sustainability, value and ever changing building and environmental legislation means that innovative and unique solutions are required. Most of the people in this team have an architectural or engineering background, and for all, we offer the opportunity to gain expertise in design and project management in a challenging thought-provoking setting.
To support site development and the attainment of targets through the management of all technical services, including all technical, engineering and architectural aspects of the business from land acquisition through to site completions and final adoptions.
Responsible to: Managing Director
- Ensure the Technical team are fully resourced and well-directed, with clear guidelines to their own job responsibilities, and are provided with full support in achieving these, in terms of communication, training and development, and the organisation of the department’s workload.
- Engage with the management of the business, in accordance with corporate responsibility for the business, work effectively as part of the senior management team and take a “whole company” perspective to managing issues.
- Provide a practical and cost effective technical service to the company and to ensure that best practice is followed, costs are controlled, the department maximises revenue generation and contribution to the company’s operating profit.
- Directly responsible for managing the professional fee budget for each development.
- Responsible for producing technical design solutions encompassing site evaluation, architectural and engineering design, the investigation of technical problems encountered and provision of economical viable resolutions.
- Ensure that technical department procedures are adhered to, and layouts, technical reports for land appraisal and required working drawings are provided within the agreed date schedule.
- Appropriate reporting to the MD and Divisional Board in line with the standard format and schedule.
- Promote and act in accordance with Group values, systems, policies and procedures.
- Undertake the role of Principal Designer under the CDM Regulations
Personal characteristics / qualifications and skills:
- Demonstrable effective experience of working for a major company in a similar role or at the level of Design/Technical Manager.
- Ideally qualified to degree or HNC in Construction, Engineering, Town Planning or Urban Design, RICS or RIBA qualified or NVQ Level 5 in a relevant subject. Excellent communicator, with high detail orientation and the ability
- to prioritise tasks to meet changing business needs.
- Extensive experience of working within established development methodologies.
- Knowledge and understanding of the major functions within the remit of Technical Services and how they impact on site acquisition and development.
- Able to identify issues which impact on land value/development costs and to make the correct ‘allowances’.
- A motivational team-leader focused on managing, coaching and developing the Technical team to achieve their full potential.
What about the benefits package:
- Competitive salary
- Pension Scheme
- Company car or car allowance
- Private Medical Insurance
- Flexible Benefits
- 25 days holiday