The Commercial team deals with everything to do with cost-effective building, including quantity surveying, estimating, procurement and material buying.
With a watching brief on choice of material, cost, customer satisfaction and sales, and other critical issues, our Commercial team – which comprises Estimators, Quantity Surveyors and Material Buyers - has one objective: to deliver best quality homes, at the best possible cost. Their work is fundamental to our continued viability as a business and presents a fast-moving challenge that will exercise your creativity and commercial flair to the full.
Summary of the Role:
To manage an efficient materials purchasing process on up to two Sites.
What will I be responsible for:
- Preparation of all procurement duties and exercises.
- Be aware of new materials to the market which would assist the business.
- Schedule and place material and plant orders with Group National Suppliers where appropriate or general suppliers, optimising cost and quality.
- Attend internal pre-start meetings and Team Meetings as required.
- Check Architects/Engineers drawings for discrepancies and compliance with the required material specification. Thereafter resolving any queries with the relevant consultants/ Technical Department.
- Ensure correct specifications are being used.
- Produce material cost schedules and budgets with cost codes for new sites and as required, and to review material cost codes to ensure budgets are not exceeded.
- Produce schedules for material enquiries, sending to suppliers for costing and assessing quotations and supplier’s schedules to ensure they are correct, prior to placing the respective orders.
- Project and report material cost increases as they arise.
- Provide site material accruals on a monthly basis.
- Compile quarterly material valuations for presentation to the Surveyor to be incorporated in the respective valuation meetings.
- Resolve invoice queries with the Accounts Department.
- Carry out material on site checks and produce reports as required.
- Attend site weekly to ensure there are no problems with supplies/materials.
- Raising Office and Sales and Marketing Orders.
Personal characteristics/qualifications and skills:
- Qualified to NVQ Level 4 or higher.
- Must carry a valid CSCS card.
- Numerate with attention to detail, able to gather, interpret and present data to facilitate preparation of budgets.
- Methodical, conscientious and organised.
- Works to deliver high standards.
- Strong IT skills, including working knowledge of computer systems within the commercial environment.
- Able to work on own initiative.
- Good communication skills, and the ability to build effective working relationships both internally and externally.
- Professional and pleasant manner in dealing with internal and external customers.
- Excellent telephone skills.
What about the benefits package:
- Competitive salary
- Company car or car allowance
- Pension Scheme
- Flexible Benefits
- 25 days holiday