The Commercial team deals with everything to do with cost-effective building, including quantity surveying, estimating, procurement and material buying.
With a watching brief on choice of material, cost, customer satisfaction and sales, and other critical issues, our Commercial team – which comprises Estimators, Quantity Surveyors and Material Buyers - has one objective: to deliver best quality homes, at the best possible cost. Their work is fundamental to our continued viability as a business and presents a fast-moving challenge that will exercise your creativity and commercial flair to the full.
SUMMARY OF THE ROLE
We’re looking for an imaginative and commercially focused Quantity Surveyor with the drive and initiative to make a wider contribution to our business. Taking responsibility for budget control and achieving targets in relation to site development, you’ll operate in a complex, cost critical and technically challenging environment. It calls for experience in house-building or construction, together with the relationship building skills needed to work effectively with internal and external contacts. Find out how we can build a future together.
WHAT WILL I BE RESPONSIBLE FOR?
- Work closely with the Senior Quantity Surveyor and assist in the commercial function and reporting for projects within the region including sub-contract procurement, payments, valuations, benchmarking and WIP control.
- The Quantity Surveyor will be responsible for monitoring build costs, reporting any savings and excesses as well as assist in the programming, monitoring and evaluation of Contractors.
- Calculate the prime costs and compile budgets for developments, reporting any movements in the costs since the preparation of the land purchase exercise. Prime costs to include but not restricted to House Build, Site Development, Plot Development, Infrastructure, Fees & Sales & Marketing.
- Production of quarterly valuations and identify gains and losses including detailed assessment of CTC’s.
- Analyse and report on costs and cash flow vs budget using the technical support systems.
- Ensure all specifications and programmes are complied with and that quality is not compromised.
- Prepare tenders and procure sub-contractors inclusive of placing orders, goods and materials, using Group Tender procedures where appropriate.
- Review Sub Contract packages and agreement of each trade package scope of works to achieve bets value.
- The Quantity Surveyor will also be responsible for monitoring build costs, reporting any savings and excesses as well as assist in the programming, monitoring and evaluation of Contractors.
- Evaluate and agree variations, instructions, prepare and agree final accounts with Sub Contractors.
- Liaise with site personnel and subcontractors in order to maximize productivity including value engineering during the progression of the development.
- Use a payments system (COINS) for the payment of sub-contractors and the supply of goods and materials in line with Group policy and procedures.
- Monitor, reconcile and recharge any costs, which relate to shared cost items with either other businesses within the Group or external Companies.
- Promote and act in accordance with Group values, systems, policies and procedures.
- Produce Monthly valuations using the ICOMS / COINS system.
- Any other duties as required by the Commercial manager / Commercial Director.
WHAT ABOUT THE BENEFITS PACKAGE?
- Competitive base salary
- Bonus scheme
- 25 days holiday
- Choice of flexible benefits
- Money purchase pension scheme