Within the Construction environment, think about buying materials, managing big projects, ensuring health and safety and customer service.
At any given time, you’ll find us working on some circa 400 developments in both towns and rural areas across the UK, and every one poses unique challenges. Some are from scratch on brownfield sites; others see us adapting existing buildings, like old factories or disused hospitals. We need people who can bring us fresh ideas and imagination on one hand, and the commercial ability to manage people, budgets and costs on the other.
It is testament to the professionalism of our construction teams that for an unprecedented eleventh year, Site Managers have won more NHBC Pride in the Job Quality Awards than any other housebuilder.
- Pre-start site inspections and preparation of construction specific CDM pack and develop through construction plan.
- Prepare suitable tender list for subcontractors and suppliers, monitor their performance and feedback to Commercial department
- Ensure adequate and suitable resources are available for effective site start
- Monitor performance against construction programme to ensure targets are met and completions are on time. Progress chasing as required. Provide dates through Sales/Build meetings to ensure legal completions are as forecast
- Monitor Health and Safety performance to ensure compliance with legal obligations and Company requirements
- Control additional costs for non-productive and prelim expenditure to ensure Group guidelines and take part in cost control meetings
- Liaise with all departments to support the Site Manager’s role and ensure information, materials and contractors are available
- Monitor each stage of construction as work proceeds to ensure a quality product
- Liaise with purchasers to ensure we provide a suitable level of service after completion Support the Site Manager in ensuring that on-site Construction teams are fully resourced and well-directed, with clear guidelines to their own job responsibilities, and are provided with full support in achieving these, in terms of communication, training and development, and the organisation of the site’s workload
- Provide a professional interface with purchasers, external contacts, contractors, etc
- Assist the Construction Director in all matters relating to the efficient performance of the Construction department
- Set and achieve build programme targets
- Lead and develop the site management teams
- Be point of contact for recruitment of the site management team
Personal characteristics / qualifications and skills:
- A strong team motivator with the drive and tenacity to achieve the goals of the business
- Proven experience of working in a senior role in the construction industry, including managerial experience
- Self-confident, decisive, resilient and able to thrive under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- A member of the Chartered Institute of Builders and/or qualified to NVQ level 5 in Construction Management with considerable experience of the full range of construction trades. (desirable not essential)
- In depth knowledge of all aspects of the construction trade and the relevant legislative requirements e.g. Health and Safety, NHBC requirements and Building Regulations
- Good knowledge, understanding and experience of dealing with all issues relating to Customer Care