The Commercial team deals with everything to do with cost-effective building, including quantity surveying, estimating, procurement and material buying.
With a watching brief on choice of material, cost, customer satisfaction and sales, and other critical issues, our Commercial team – which comprises Estimators, Quantity Surveyors and Material Buyers - has one objective: to deliver best quality homes, at the best possible cost. Their work is fundamental to our continued viability as a business and presents a fast-moving challenge that will exercise your creativity and commercial flair to the full.
SUMMARY OF THE ROLE
To support site development and the attainment of targets by ensuring / managing: commercial cost appraisals and viability/feasibility analysis, the procurement of sub-contractors, materials and goods, the preparation and monitoring of site costs and budgets and site set-up health and safety and including all technical, engineering and architectural aspects of the business from land acquisition through to site completions and final adoptions.
WHAT WILL I BE RESPONSIBLE FOR?
- Lead and take responsibility for achieving targets in relation to accurate build cost assessments of potential acquisitions and acquired land, budget control throughout development and cost overruns within tolerance levels.
- Accurate costing and preparation of budgets for each aspect of site development.
- Manage the technical support systems to analyse and report on costs and cash flow vs budget.
- Undertake accurate viability/feasibility studies to support decision-making in site acquisition and development.
- Manage an effective system for the identification and procedure of sub-contractors, using Group Tender procedures where appropriate, and the procurement of goods and materials and designs.
- Manage a payments system for the payment of sub-contractors, consultants and the supply of goods and material in line with Group policy and procedures.
- Ensure that Commercial are fully resourced and well-directed, with clear guidelines to their own job responsibilities, and are provided with full support in achieving these, in terms of communication, training and development and the organisation of the department’s workload.
- Appropriate reporting to the MD and Divisional Board in line with the standard format and schedule.
- Promote and act in accordance with Group values, systems, policies and procedures.
- Proven track record in similar role or at the level of Senior Quantity Surveyor or Commercial Manager.
- Highly numerate, able to gather, interpret and present data to facilitate modelling for development.
- Strong IT skills, working knowledge of computer systems within the commercial environment i.e. project management / payment and valuation software.
- Experience of managing budgets / cost control and planning, prioritising and organising work to meet targets.
- Knowledge and understanding of the major functions associated with a Commercial Department and how they can impact on the on-site profitability and development.
- Self-confident, decisive, resilient and able to thrive under pressure in a fast paced environment.
- A lateral and innovative thinker, an original problem-solver.
- A motivational team leader focused on managing, coaching and developing the commercial teams to achieve their full potential
WHAT ABOUT THE BENEFITS PACKAGE?
- Competitive Salary
- Company Bonus Scheme
- Company Car or Allowance
- Private Medical Insurance
- 25 Days Holiday
- Money Purchase Pension Scheme
- Death in Service
- Flexible Benefits