The Design & Technical teams are involved in all aspects of housing design and innovation. This team is also responsible for researching the best materials, at the best cost.
In terms of design, there’s the sheer variety of our sites, many of them brownfield and all of them with unique problems to solve. Our drive for sustainability, value and ever changing building and environmental legislation means that innovative and unique solutions are required. Most of the people in this team have an architectural or engineering background, and for all, we offer the opportunity to gain expertise in design and project management in a challenging thought-provoking setting.
SUMMARY OF THE ROLE
Support the Technical Director in ensuring that the Technical team are fully resourced and well directed, with clear guidelines to their own job responsibilities and are provided with full support in achieving these, in terms of communication, training and development and the organisation of the departments workload.
WHAT WILL I BE RESPONSIBLE FOR?
- Assessment of potential developments and production of detailed technical reports, including site visits with the appropriate members of the management team to ensure the best cost engineered solution is produced for the land (or vice versa).
- Effective daily management of the Team (Internal and External) to ensure the provision of required level of services in a pro-active and professional manner to enable other departments to fulfil their role.
- Lead, motivate, communicate with, develop, appraise and performance manage staff to ensure staff are fully motivated to achieve best performance to meet the company’s needs.
- Co-ordinate production information to a written programme to ensure company targets are met for a controlled and cost effective finish to the sites.
- Ensure provision of drawings to site on a weekly basis & as appropriate.
- Establish and enforce quality and standards in schemes, and maintain the good image of the company.
- Ensure that schemes are designed to BDW standards to suit building, marketing and economic considerations, as well as be competitive in design terms: the schemes are produced within a time limit to suit programme deadlines (Building and Marketing) and must take into account many external factors e.g. Local Authority Planning and Highways, Drainage undertakers, Drainage Boards, Service companies, Local Committees, Action Groups and Resident issues as required.
- Production of engineering site feasibilities as instructed by the land department, with liaison with heads of department & outside authorities and agencies to ensure complies with the required standards and business needs.
- Establish good working relationships with Site staff and Department Heads to ensure schemes are constructed as intended and to encourage feedback for inclusion in future schemes to avoid wastage and improve the engineered solutions.
- Comply with responsibilities as defined in the Group’s Health, Safety & Environment Policy and ensure compliance with the same throughout the team.
- Implement new ideas and methods and continue to seek ways of both improving contribution to the organisation’s goals and enhancing the reputation of the company.
- Develop good working relationships with Local Authorities and ensure knowledge of the peculiarities of the Local Authorities, and knowledge of the many techniques applicable to the Housing Industry to ensure easy approvals and fast, marketable, economic house building.
- High potential with ability to succeed Technical Director.
- An excellent team motivator with the drive and tenacity to achieve the goals of the business.
- Excellent communicator, with high detail orientation.
- Extensive experience of working within established development methodologies.
- Ability to prioritise tasks to meet changing business needs.
- Demonstrable effective experience of working for a major company in a similar role or at the level of Design/Technical/Commercial Manager.
- Knowledge and understanding of the major functions within the remit of Technical services and how they impact on site acquisition and development.
- Knowledge and aptitude to identify those issues which impact on land value or development costs and to make the correct 'allowances'.
WHAT ABOUT THE BENEFITS PACKAGE?
- Competitive base salary
- Bonus scheme
- 25 days holiday with accrual of additional days after 3 years’ service
- Choice of Flexible Benefits
- Money Purchase Pension schemE
- Company Car or Car Allowance