The Commercial team deals with everything to do with cost-effective building, including quantity surveying, estimating, procurement and material buying.
With a watching brief on choice of material, cost, customer satisfaction and sales, and other critical issues, our Commercial team – which comprises Estimators, Quantity Surveyors and Material Buyers - has one objective: to deliver best quality homes, at the best possible cost. Their work is fundamental to our continued viability as a business and presents a fast-moving challenge that will exercise your creativity and commercial flair to the full.
Responsible to: Buying Manager
WHAT WILL I BE RESPONSIBLE FOR?
- Preparation of all procurement duties and exercises.
- Be aware of new materials to the market which would assist the business.
- Schedule and place material and plant orders with Group National Suppliers where appropriate or general Suppliers, optimising cost and quality.
- Attend internal pre-start meetings and team meetings as required.
- Check Architects/Engineers drawings for discrepancies and compliance with the required material specification. Thereafter resolving any queries with the relevant consultants/Technical department.
- Ensure correct specifications are being used.
- Produce material cost schedules and budgets with cost codes for new sites as required and review material cost codes to ensure budgets are not exceeded.
- Produce schedules for material enquiries, sending to suppliers and costing and assessing quotations and supplier’s schedules to ensure they are correct, prior to placing the respective orders.
- Project and report material cost increases as they arise.
- Assist Commercial team in providing material costs as and when required for incorporation into valuation meetings.
- Maintain and issue Monthly Plant Allocation Report to Division.
- Creation, maintenance and distribution of Project Pipeline Lists, including Site Contact Lists to Supply Chain.
- Regular updating and maintenance of requisition register.
- Resolve invoice queries with the Finance department.
- Carry out material on site checks and produce reports as required.
- Attend site as required to ensure there are no problems with supplies/materials, and maintain strong relationships with Construction teams.
- Raising Office, Sales & Marketing and Customer Care orders.
- Regular engagement meetings with Supply Chain to build and maintain strong relationships.
- Regular feedback of Supply Chain to assist in performance reporting.
- Maintenance of Site specific Procurement Schedules.
- Supporting and promoting Group Supply Chain Agreements where applicable
- Additional Procurement duties as deemed necessary/instructed by the Buying Manager/Senior Buyer.
- Qualified to NVQ Level 4 or higher is desired but not essential.
- Carrying a current, valid CSCS card would be advantageous, but not essential.
- Numerate with attention to detail, able to gather, interpret and present data to facilitate preparation of budgets.
- Methodical, conscientious and organised.
- Works to deliver high standards.
- Strong IT skills, including working knowledge of computer systems within the commercial environment. Experience of working with Coins would be advantageous.
- Able to work on own initiative.
- Good communication skills and the ability to build effective working relationships both internally and externally.
- Professional and pleasant manner in dealing with internal and external customers.
- Excellent telephone skills.
WHAT ABOUT THE BENEFITS PACKAGE?
- Competitive base salary
- Company Bonus Scheme
- 25 days holiday + 9 public
- Company Car or Car Allowance
- Money Purchase Pension Scheme
- Choice of Flexible Benefits
- Sharesave Scheme