The Commercial team deals with everything to do with cost-effective building, including quantity surveying, estimating, procurement and material buying.
With a watching brief on choice of material, cost, customer satisfaction and sales, and other critical issues, our Commercial team – which comprises Estimators, Quantity Surveyors and Material Buyers - has one objective: to deliver best quality homes, at the best possible cost. Their work is fundamental to our continued viability as a business and presents a fast-moving challenge that will exercise your creativity and commercial flair to the full.
To manage, both through the buying team and individually, an efficient materials purchasing system and provide and ensure the provision of support to the Construction Department in achieving build programmes with the maximum efficiency
- To schedule and place material and plant orders with Group National Suppliers where appropriate or general suppliers, optimising cost and quality. This to include material orders for the Customer Care Department.
- Ensure that materials used are to group specification
- Process orders from site requisitions
- Liaise with Site Managers/Assistant Site Managers/Suppliers
- Resolve queries regarding specifications/quantities of materials with above
- Obtain, analyse and negotiate quotations for materials outwith standard Barratt low rise spec.
- Monitor and claim monies due from Group rebates
- Negotiate and monitor local rebates from suppliers out with Group deals.
- Prepare spec sheets for low rise and non-standard sites
- Attend meetings as required.
- Negotiate sub contract prices for non-standard products i.e. windows/kitchens/fitted wardrobes.
- Carry out material on site checks and produce reports for own developments.
- Ensure correct specifications are being used on site.
- Attend site monthly to ensure there are no problems with supplies / materials.
- Assist buyers with any problems that may arise.
- Supervise and train Buyers in best buying practices.
- Site visits to ensure compliance with Barratt material standard.
- Attend site pre start meetings
- Attend regional buying meetings
- Complete stock on site checks
- Ensure sites are building to correct spec, sap calcs and robust detail
- Carry out supplier scoring on a quarterly basis
Personal characteristics / qualifications and skills
- Proven track record in similar role.
- Highly numerate with excellent attention to detail, able to gather, interpret and present data.
- Strong IT skills, working knowledge of computer systems within the commercial buying environment
- Experience of managing budgets/cost control.
- Articulate, clear and credible, and able to thrive under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Able to contribute towards the resolution of disputes, problems and queries.
- Good interpersonal and team management skills, able to motivate and coach the Buying team to their full potential.
- Competitive base salary
- Company bonus scheme
- Company car or allowance
- 25 days holiday
- Money purchase pension scheme
- Death in Service Benefit
- Choice of flexible benefits