The Commercial team deals with everything to do with cost-effective building, including quantity surveying, estimating, procurement and material buying.
With a watching brief on choice of material, cost, customer satisfaction and sales, and other critical issues, our Commercial team – which comprises Estimators, Quantity Surveyors and Material Buyers - has one objective: to deliver best quality homes, at the best possible cost. Their work is fundamental to our continued viability as a business and presents a fast-moving challenge that will exercise your creativity and commercial flair to the full.
Reporting to the Chief Quantity Surveyor, you will effectively manage site development and the attainment of targets by: conducting commercial cost appraisals and viability/feasibility analysis; managing sub-contractors, materials and goods; preparing and monitoring site costs and budgets; and ensuring site set-up health and safety.
- Carry out accurate build cost assessments of acquired land; maintain budget control throughout development; and manage cost overruns within tolerance levels.
- Accurate costing and preparation of budgets for each aspect of site development.
- Analyse and report on costs and cash flow -v- budget using the technical support systems.
- Contribute to the conceptual designs/options for the determination of site values
- Undertake accurate viability/feasibility studies to support decision-making in site acquisition and development.
- Prepare tenders and procure sub-contractors, goods and materials, using Group Tender procedures where appropriate.
- Evaluate and agree variations and instructions.
- Liaise with site personnel and subcontractors in order to maximise productivity.
- Use a payments system for the payment of sub-contractors and the supply of goods and materials in line with Group policy and procedures.
- Promote and act in accordance with Group values, systems, policies and procedures.
Key Skills Required:
- Qualified to HND level or higher.
- Highly numerate with excellent attention to detail, able to gather, interpret and present data to facilitate preparation of budgets and subsequent valuations.
- Methodical, conscientious and organised, works to deliver high standards.
- Strong IT skills, working knowledge of computer systems within the commercial environment, i.e. project management/payment and valuation software.
- Articulate, clear and credible, and able to thrive under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Able to contribute towards the resolution of disputes, problems and cost issues.
- Able to work on own initiative, with the drive to take ownership of projects.
- Strong communication skills, the ability to build effective working relationships both internally and externally.
- Competitive salary
- Annual Bonus
- Company Car or Cash Allowance
- 25 Days Annual Leave + Statutory Days
- Death in Service Benefit
- Company Pension Scheme
- Choice of Lifestyle and Flexible Benefits