Location: CARE Bath
Contract Type: Full Time
Closing Date: 19 April 2020
Specific Hours: Full Time - 37.5 Hours Per Week
Deputy Medical Director - Full Time (37.5 hours per week)
CARE Fertility the UK’s largest independent providers of fertility treatment, genetic diagnosis and screening techniques and associated fertility preservation procedures. CARE Fertility Bath is state of the art clinic has been helping people have babies for over 25 years.
Our team prides itself on delivering exceptional treatment and care to our patients, we are proud to say that we have the highest success rate in the region. The clinic currently delivers over 500 treatment cycles a year and we have a strategy for growth. This includes developing our satellite clinic at Aztec West in Bristol.
CARE Fertility employs around 550 people across more than a dozen sites, we are a truly integrated Group and we expect all of our clinics to actively contribute to improving our practices.
We have an opportunity for Deputy Medical Director to join our clinical team at CARE Bath on a full-time basis.
The successful candidate will:
A competitive package is on offer. Applicants are encouraged to discuss the post informally and in confidence with Mark Wilcox, Group Medical Director by email Mark.Wilcox@carefertility.com.
This post is subject to an Enhanced Disclosure with the DBS.
Job Purpose: Together with the Medical director, the post holder will have responsibility for the medical management of patients undertaking treatment within CARE. The incumbent will actively contribute to the research, service development and scientific ethos of the CARE group.
To deputise for the Medical Director, provide leadership and supervise and train the clinical teams.
To provide clinical services in the field of reproductive medicine as part of a multidisciplinary team.
Deputy Medical Director Duties:
1. To carry out the supervision and training of other staff from all disciplines, particularly nurse training and training of medical staff as appropriate.
2. To work to ensure effective communication with other team members and undertake the role of 2nd lead clinician in CARE Bath.
3. Implement within the Clinic all CARE policies, protocols and pathways as agreed at Corporate governance and speciality meetings to ensure CARE best practice is adhered to.
4. To promote CARE services through media interviews and educational meetings when the Medical Director in not available or when the Medical Director delegates this to the Deputy Medical Director.
5. Together with the Medical Director, and specifically in their absence, to supervise and maintain clinical services.
6. Attend and contribute to the regular speciality group meetings to deputise for the Medical director in other organisational meetings with other Medical Directors, Laboratory Managers, governance groups as necessary.
7. To drive new initiatives within Ultrasound and Donation with the support of the Medical Director and the CARE Fertility Group Medical Director
1. To consult and assess patients
2. To plan patient treatment
3. To undertake patient treatments
4. To undertake the assessment of emergency admissions, arranging appropriate onward referral where appropriate
5. To correspond/liaise with satellite doctors/general practitioners/referrers/other specialists
6. To correspond and communicate with patients (e.g. by phone, email, letter)
7. To ensure the consenting of all patients prior to treatment is undertaken
8. To ensure there is effective communication with other team members
9. To attend clinical and team meetings as appropriate
10. To work in theatre, undertaking egg collections, provide sedation, embryo transfers, and other fertility related procedures
11. To be involved in Patient Information Events and other educational events for patients.
12. To undertake the supervision and training of other staff from all disciplines
13. To complete clinical notes and documentation (including financial documentation) in accordance with CARE protocols & policies.
14. To participate in audit, clinical risk management and clinical governance in accordance with CARE protocols & policies.
15. To participate and contribute in the regular review and updating of clinical procedures, protocols and patient documentation
16. To attend and contribute to Quality Management meetings and Ethics Committee meetings.
17. To promote CARE services through media interviews and educational meetings.
18. To undertake Continuing Professional Development appropriate for the maintenance of professional certification/revalidation with the GMC
19. To provide overnight and weekend clinical cover on a rota basis in line with the contractual agreement
20. To comply with the GMC Good Medical Practice recommendations and CARE clinical protocols and guidelines
21. To provide clinical cover at other CARE clinics as and when needed
22. To provide clinical support to nursing staff providing emergency telephone advice, when on call.
• MBBS, or equivalent medical qualification
• Full registration and licence to practice with the GMC
• MRCOG, or equivalent
• ATSMs in Subfertility and Assisted Conception, or equivalent
• Completion of Ultrasound training module
• MD or PhD
• On Specialist register with the GMC
• Subspecialty training in Reproductive Medicine and Surgery
• Proven experience in general infertility and assisted conception
• Experience in teaching, training and/or research
• Previous experience in reproductive medicine at a Consultant level within the UK
• Previous experience of gamete donation and surrogacy
• Previous experience providing PGS, PGD and reproductive immunology treatments
• Experience with referral management
• Able to work without direct supervision in the field of fertility/assisted conception
• Able to work at a fast pace and able to cope the demands of a busy and complex clinical service
• Logical thinking and problem solving
• Good IT skills
• Good presentation skills
• Able to carry out early pregnancy scans until 11 weeks gestation
• Able to perform 3D ultrasound
• Able to perform HyCosy
• Works well with the wider multi-disciplinary team
• Clear and intelligible in verbal and written communication
• Able to develop rapport with patients and colleagues
• Flexible and responds positively to challenging situations
• Lateral thinker; able to provide innovative solutions to develop and improve cost effective patient management
• Enthusiasm for teaching, training and research
• Able to manage a team
• Able to chair meetings
• Working knowledge of the HFEA
• RCOG and BFS guidelines and current literature.