Location: CARE Bath
Contract Type: Full Time
Closing Date: 12 March 2020
Specific Hours: Full Time - 37.5 hours per week
Consultant in Reproductive Medicine/Fertility Specialist - Full Time (37.5 hours per week)
CARE Fertility is one of the UK’s largest independent providers of fertility treatment, genetic diagnosis and screening techniques and associated fertility preservation procedures. CARE Bath is state of the art clinic has been helping people have babies for over 25 years.
We have an opportunity for an experienced Consultant in Reproductive Medicine / Fertility Specialist to join our clinical team at CARE Bath on a full time basis.
The successful candidate will:
• Have experience of performing standard IVF procedures and a record of delivering excellent results. We will provide training on more complex treatment pathways as necessary.
• Be self-motivated, with a desire to continually develop themselves and contribute to the advancement of the clinical programmes and the success of the business. This is a clinical post, however, a research interest and active participation in audit is encouraged.
• Have full registration with the GMC and be post MRCOG (or equivalent).
A competitive package is on offer. Applicants are encouraged to discuss the post informally and in the strictest confidence with Mark Wilcox, Group Medical Director on 01892 614110.
This post is subject to an Enhanced Disclosure with the DBS.
General Consultant Duties:
The post holder will provide clinical services in the field of reproductive medicine as part of a multidisciplinary team. They will be responsible for ensuring that the highest standards of clinical care are delivered in line with CARE objectives as well as national standards. They will work closely with the Medical Director, the medical community of the organisation and the wider multidisciplinary team to provide standardised practice across the organisation in addition to continually striving to improve and develop services further. They will be expected to actively participate in clinical governance and quality management of the local service.
The post-holder will work with the Medical Director and colleagues in the management of the rota to ensure activity is achieved and consistent safe cover is available.
1. To consult and assess patients
2. To plan patient treatment
3. To undertake patient treatments e.g. IUI
4. To undertake the assessment of emergency admissions, arranging appropriate onward referral where appropriate
5. To correspond/liaise with satellite doctors/general practitioners/referrers/other specialists
6. To correspond and communicate with patients (e.g. by phone, email, letter)
7. To ensure the consenting of all patients prior to treatment is undertaken
8. To ensure there is effective communication with other team members
9. To attend clinical and team meetings as appropriate
10. To work in theatre, undertaking egg collections, provide sedation, embryo transfers, and other fertility related procedures
11. To be involved in Patient Information Events and other educational events for patients.
12. To undertake the supervision and training of other staff from all disciplines
13. To complete clinical notes and documentation (including financial documentation) in accordance with CARE protocols & policies.
14. To participate in audit, clinical risk management and clinical governance in accordance with CARE protocols & policies.
15. To participate and contribute in the regular review and updating of clinical procedures, protocols and patient documentation
16. To attend and contribute to Quality Management meetings and Ethics Committee meetings.
17. To promote CARE services through media interviews and educational meetings.
18. To undertake Continuing Professional Development appropriate for the maintenance of professional certification/revalidation with the GMC
19. To provide overnight and weekend clinical cover on a rota basis in line with the contractual agreement
20. To comply with the GMC Good Medical Practice recommendations and CARE clinical protocols and guidelines
21. To provide clinical cover at other CARE clinics as and when needed
22. To provide clinical support to nursing staff providing emergency telephone advice, when on call.
1. To comply with the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority’s Code of Practice, the Health and Social Care Act 2008 (Regulated Activities) Regulations 2014, the Care Quality Commission (Registration) Regulations 2009 and the Data Protection Act, with special reference to patient confidentiality.
2. To comply with the Health and Safety policies with particular reference to procedures to be followed in the event of a fire and to report all accidents and untoward incidents to the Health and Safety officer.
3. To undertake mandatory training as required, including health and safety, fire, manual handling.
4. Actively participate in CARE’s performance management processes and competency assessment processes, including annual appraisal in line with GMC requirements.
5. To comply with Infection Control policies and procedures.
• MBBS, or equivalent medical qualification
• Full registration and licence to practice with the GMC
• MRCOG, or equivalent
• ATSMs in Subfertility and Assisted Conception, or equivalent
• Completion of Ultrasound training module
• MD or PhD
• On Specialist register with the GMC
• Subspecialty training in Reproductive Medicine and Surgery
• Previous experience in reproductive medicine at a Consultant level within the UK
• Previous experience of gamete donation and surrogacy
• Previous experience providing PGS, PGD and reproductive immunology treatments
• Experience with referral management
• Experience in teaching, training and/or research
• Able to work without direct supervision in the field of fertility/assisted conception
• Able to work at a fast pace and able to cope the demands of a busy and complex clinical service
• Logical thinking and problem solving
• Good IT skills
• Good presentation skills
• Works well with the wider multi-disciplinary team
• Clear and intelligible in verbal and written communication
• Able to develop rapport with patients and colleagues
• Flexible and responds positively to challenging situations
• Lateral thinker; able to provide innovative solutions to develop and improve cost effective patient management
• Enthusiasm for teaching, training and research
• Able to manage a team
• Able to chair meetings