Summer Intern (Investment Management and Analytics)
- CDC is the UK’s development finance institution. Founded 70 years ago, we invest in the most challenging markets of Africa and South Asia with the aim of supporting economic development. CDC has net assets of £5.1bn, with over 1300 growing businesses in the portfolio.
- Last year we committed over £1billion of capital across 50 transactions.
- CDC is wholly owned by the UK government, who has committed a further £3.5bn of capital for CDC to deploy over the next two to three years.
- We are expanding our presence in Africa and South Asia with further new offices openings in 2019.
- At CDC, we take an entrepreneurial approach to investment. We think innovatively about ways to deploy our capital, attract and mobilise other investors, and drive transformational impact.
- Primarily, CDC invests to achieve impact and a financial return which is reinvested into more businesses. We aim to create jobs and accelerate economic prosperity and focus on sectors that will do this; manufacturing, food and agriculture, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education.
- CDC works with like-minded ambitious people who are primarily motivated by our mission to deliver impact. We are a growing team of over 300 and place immense value on diversity within our organisation.
- Read more about us on our website cdcgroup.com
The Investment Management and Analytics Team is responsible for macroeconomic research, analysing the performance and risk of CDC’s portfolio and pipeline, and for delivering an efficient and effective Investment Committee process.
The summer intern’s primary role will be to help deliver insightful analytics on CDC’s target market, portfolio and pipeline.
This will include:
- Producing analytics to support understanding of the investment process and pipeline
- Developing CDC-relevant analysis of macroeconomic trends
- Preparing reports as required
- Analysing materials submitted to the investment committees
- Assist in the aggregation, validation, and analysis of investment-related data
- Leverage the database to generate analytics to support and aid the decision making process
- Identify key themes and trends from the historic pipeline that could inform the current investment process
- Assist in producing reports for CDC’s management team, Board, and Stakeholder
- Assist with ad hoc requests relating to portfolio analytics or investment risk
- MBA or equivalent student with strong interest in Private Equity and the investment process
- Professional background gathering information and delivering analytics
- Experience working independently and unaided, with evidence of ability to deliver quality products on time and to required quality
- Demonstrable interest in development finance and emerging markets. Professional experience in relevant markets would be desirable
- Communication: Strong written/verbal communication skills to effectively carry out role
- Team Working: Collaboration with own team and the larger employee community
- Results Focus: Drive to achieve objectives/results
- Personal Effectiveness: Organising self/teams to meet agreed deadlines
- Influencing/Persuading: Ability to obtain agreement and cooperation in a ‘win-win’ fashion
- Excellent analytical skills and a proven ability to research and collate data
- Ability to draw conclusions and present ideas
- Good knowledge of Excel and financial modelling
- Good knowledge of relevant markets and sectors
- Understanding of Private Equity and the challenges inherent in this type of investment
- Knowledge of the investment process is preferred but not essential
- Please provide a cover letter
- Please apply for a maximum of two Summer Internships, clearly stating your preference in your cover letter
- Position opened: 7 December 2018
- Position closes: 30 January 2019
- Salary: £56,888 (pro-rated over 10 weeks). Please note CDC will not be able to provide relocation costs