Procurement Business Partner – Investment (MCIPS)
- CDC is the UK’s development finance institution. Established in 1948 we invest in the most challenging markets of Africa and Asia with the aim of supporting economic development.
- CDC has net assets of £6.8bn and a portfolio of £5.2 billion. In 2020 we committed over £1.22 billion of capital to business in Africa and Asia and are now invested in 1,200 businesses which directly employ over 875,000 workers and support many more.
- CDC is a Public Limited Company and is wholly owned on behalf of the UK government by the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO).
- In the last few years, we have expanded our presence in Africa and Asia by opening new offices in Bangladesh, Egypt, Kenya, Myanmar, Nepal, Nigeria and Pakistan with additional locations opening soon.
- At CDC, we take an entrepreneurial approach to investment. We think innovatively about ways to deploy our capital, attract and mobilise other investors, and drive transformational impact.
- Primarily, CDC invests through direct equity, direct debt and funds products to achieve impact and a financial return which is reinvested into more businesses. We aim to create jobs and accelerate economic prosperity and focus on sectors that will do this; manufacturing, food and agriculture, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education.
- CDC works with like-minded ambitious people who are primarily motivated by our mission to deliver impact. We are a growing team of over 485 and place immense value on diversity within our organisation.
- Read more about us on our website cdcgroup.com
Team and role overview
The Finance team is responsible for the accounting, financial reporting, financial planning and analysis, investment accounting, purchasing and procurement, accounts payable and accounts receivable functions. The team consists of 25 people, including the CFO. A procurement function was added in 2020, this role will sit in the Procurement Function
- To work with the business to ensure adherence to procurement policy and best practices across the organisation, driving and developing the functional aspects of procurement.
- To drive value for money and quality in CDC’s procurement and commercial engagements and offer commercial support
- This is a new role, reflective of significant company growth over recent years and an increased demand for improved structure and controls relating to both the procurement and purchasing functions. There is an opportunity for the candidate to shape the role, based on their experience.
- Partnering with our Investment Teams to drive quality and value in their third party spend
- Delivery of strategic or high value procurement activity
- Supporting the business in its contract management activity
- Work with specific teams in London and Overseas to develop procurement best practice
- To act as an interface between the business and finance (AP and Treasury).
- Ensure consistency in practice with the business areas you work with
- Work with Finance, and the Investment teams to ensure visibility around the monitoring, review and approval process for all operational and deal cost agreements.
Background, skills, aptitude
- Must be MCIPS qualified (or working towards MCIPS) with suitable procurement experience from an investment organisation (Private Equity / DFI / Investment Banking / Buy-side investment firm).
- A background which intersects investment and finance with experience of driving commercial value in consultancy and market data and research.
- Experience running large RFP and procurement contract processes, preferably with some international exposure.
- Effective communication skills with the ability to build relationships at senior levels within the organisation, an excellent level of written English and the ability to distil data into succinct presentations.
- Ability to solve complex problems creatively.
- Ability to work independently and unsupervised
- Candidates should be strongly motivated by CDC’s development mission and ideally demonstrate some commitment to development or social goals through previous executive or non-executive activity.
Our cultural values
We look for team members who aspire, as we do, to work at our best and to be:
- Impact-led, commercially rigorous
- Tenacious in the face of challenges
- Collaborative and caring
CDC is committed to diversity and inclusion and welcomes all applicants regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation or educational background.
Please provide a cover letter with your application