Equity Investment Manager or Director, Construction and Real Estate
- Our mission is to support the building of businesses throughout Africa and South Asia, to create jobs and make a lasting difference to people’s lives in some of the world’s poorest places.
- We aim to invest in countries where we can have the greatest impact. In countries where the private sector is weak and jobs are scarce.
- We invest in sectors where growth leads to jobs – both directly and indirectly. In sectors such as manufacturing, agribusiness, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education. Last year, the businesses we invest in created more than a million jobs.
- We are successful because we are a high quality investment organisation, using the best commercial skills and judgement to make investments in great companies and support them to grow over the long term. We therefore want to attract people with these skills but who are motivated to use them to dramatically improve the private sector in Africa and South Asia
- For further information, please visit our website cdcgroup.com
Team and role overview
- Work with the Head of Construction and Real Estate to implement a strategy for CDC’s real estate investments in Africa and South Asia. Our current priority sectors/asset classes include Logistics & Industrial Parks, Budget Hotels, Affordable Housing, Urban Development, Student Housing, Box Retail/neighbourhood malls, Office Parks.
- Part of the Construction and Real Estate leadership team, helping to define the team strategy, mentoring of team members to execute the strategy
- Develop and maintain a broad understanding of the Construction and Real Estate market in Africa and South Asia with a view to:
Identify trends, opportunities, issues, etc.
Develop understanding of potential target developers and real estate platforms, relationships with their principals, shareholders and senior management, insight into their business, etc.
Develop and maintain a broad network of potentital real estate co-investors, advisers, brokers, bankers, non-executive directors, etc.
- Lead thorough research on potential investments in target developers/estate platforms, trends in target asset classes, country analysis and monitoring performance of portfolio companies.
- Lead analysis and evaluation of new proposals to invest in CDC target market investments, including due diligence, with joint responsibility for preparing recommendations to CDC’s Investment Committee.
- Lead negotiations with target developers/real estate platforms and other investors, of all aspects of investment agreements
- Lead on closing of investments and ensure compliance with CDC procedures
- Active engagement to monitor the performance of the investments from a commercial, developmental and ESG perspective and their compliance with CDC’s investment policy.
- Taking a pro-active approach to building value and to resolving problems of under-performance and/or non-compliance at investment level.
- Maintaining up-to-date knowledge and expertise on the economic, political and social conditions in markets where CDC operates, or potentially wish to operate.
- Advise other areas of CDC (such as Debt and Funds) in their real estate investments
- Establish relationships in CDC target geographies with a range of potential developers/real estate platforms to generate a high-quality deal flow matching an agreed investment strategy.
- Leading the preparation of investment reports and communicating the rationale for investing in the identified target to the investment committee together with a balanced view of the risks, opportunities and potential returns;
- Conducting a thorough analysis on the potential investment and finding mitigating factors to minimise the exposure risk to CDC;
- Leading workstreams valuating identified targets using various methods and providing detailed outputs and rationale for the chosen methodology
- Conducting a thorough due diligence on an opportunity, sector, and country. Manage third party due diligence advisors, arrange meetings with various stake-holders;
- Apply good judgment and historical analysis to issues or problems discovered during due diligence and formulate structuring ideas to mitigate problems.
- Keeping up to date with market developments and all other areas that can affect the markets, e.g. movements in the economies of relevant countries.
- Writing research reports and investment ideas;
- Represent CDC on governance boards in portfolio companies;
- Ensuring that Investment team meet the numerous compliance regulations;
- Develop collaborative working relationships with the other CDC teams, especially Funds, Debt, ESG, Legal and Finance;
- Track progress of investments against agreed measures including ESG.
- Put in place appropriate post-investment portfolio management strategies and where appropriate represent CDC on governance boards in portfolio companies;
- Coaching members of the team and being responsible for several individuals’ career development
Background and Competencies
- Relevant University degree and, preferably, MBA or post-graduate professional qualification or equivalent;
- Extensive real estate private equity investment experience including having led multiple transactions from origination through portfolio management and exit;
- Transaction experience across emerging markets preferred, particularly Africa and South Asia;
- Transaction experience in some or all our target sub-sectors/asset classes also significantly preferred;
- Interest in development finance/impact investing;
- Strategic thinker, able to contribute to the formulation and implementation of sector strategies in the emerging markets context;
- Experience of structuring, negotiating and reviewing investment proposals;
- Equity valuation, financial structuring and experience of direct investing;
- Strong portfolio management skills and proven ability to drive value in portfolio companies;
- Comfortable communicating with all levels of management internally and externally;
- Strong numerical, analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to work to deadlines and manage multiple projects effectively;
- Demonstrable alignment with CDC mandate, mission and values.
- Ability to lead sector-mapping and to create a clear investment strategy within the Real Estate Sector;
- Commercial judgment and ability to assess risk and opportunity in potential investments;
- Strong team working and management skills
- Focus on achievement of objectives
- Strong written and oral presentation skills
- Speaks out – makes intelligent contributions
- Works out solutions independently
CDC is a diverse and inclusive employer, with a collegial and supportive work environment including opportunities for flexible working. To learn more about the CDC investment team visit our website: https://www.cdcgroup.com/en/about/our-people/teams/investment-teams/
Posted: 13 November 2018
Closes: 12 December 2018