Project Coordinator, CDC Plus, Value Creation Strategies
- CDC is the UK’s development finance institution. Founded 70 years ago, we invest in the most challenging markets of Africa and South Asia with the aim of supporting economic development. CDC has net assets of £5.1bn, with over 1300 growing businesses in the portfolio.
- Last year we committed over £1billion of capital across 50 transactions.
- CDC is wholly owned by the UK government, who has committed a further £3.5bn of capital for CDC to deploy over the next two to three years.
- We are expanding our presence in Africa and South Asia with further new offices openings in 2019.
- At CDC, we take an entrepreneurial approach to investment. We think innovatively about ways to deploy our capital, attract and mobilise other investors, and drive transformational impact.
- Primarily, CDC invests to achieve impact and a financial return which is reinvested into more businesses. We aim to create jobs and accelerate economic prosperity and focus on sectors that will do this; manufacturing, food and agriculture, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education.
- CDC works with like-minded ambitious people who are primarily motivated by our mission to deliver impact. We are a growing team of over 380 and place immense value on diversity within our organisation.
- Read more about us on our website cdcgroup.com
The CDC Plus team (previously known as the Technical Assistance facility) manages a pool of resources from DFID for technical assistance projects within our portfolio or at the market level. The team specialises in operationalising value creation projects by supporting teams to identify, design and implement new initiatives, as well as working with external partners to incubate ideas and facilitate larger thematic programmes.
This job description relates to the duties, tasks and responsibilities of a Project Coordinator working as part of this team. The duties, tasks and responsibilities will vary to some extent depending on the portfolio of opportunities that arise and will, of necessity, remain flexible as strategies evolve.
The purpose of this position is to provide project management capacity to the growing portfolio of CDC Plus funded projects. The individual in this role will be excited to work with the CDC Plus team to manage resources and information, in order to ensure smooth implementation and strong data and knowledge management of CDC Plus initiatives.
The CDC Plus Project Coordinator will:
- Support the CDC Plus team to provide effective project management of a portfolio of CDC-funded programmes and assignments to ensure they are delivered to high quality, on time and within budget;
- Build strong relationships with stakeholders including CDC teams, project champions and service providers to ensure high quality of implementation and information capture of CDC Plus funded assignments;
- Support all stages of the project life cycle including project initiation design, implementation and completion; ;
- Coordinate a process of continuous improvement in the efficiency and effectiveness of CDC Plus processes and systems.
- Support to CDC Plus team on effective and efficient management of key projects
- Support in key project management functions such as creating workplans, budgets, forecasts, procurement, contracting, due diligence, data and knowledge management, reporting and communications.
- Maintain a tracker and dashboard of CDC Plus funded initiatives, including contracts, payments and forecasting
- Analyse data periodically for team insights, reporting and other stakeholder communications
- Assess project risks and issues and provide solutions where applicable
- Support the team to monitor and manage projects to deliver successful outcomes
- Develop and maintain strong internal processes and systems
- Contribute to the development of CDC Plus processes and systems and the communication of those internally
- Coordinate with finance and support financial management processes for CDC Plus projects as needed
- Ensure activities follow Standard Operating Procedures and all documentation is maintained appropriately for each project
- Support project initiation and development
- Critically review project ideas that are brought to CDC Plus by investees, third parties and internal teams
- Support teams in developing proposals for submission for approval at the CDC Plus Committee meetings
- Maintain a database of pipeline projects for CDC Plus
- Support knowledge management for CDC Plus
- Work with the team to capture lessons learnt across the facility and also on a project by project basis
- Work with the CDC Evaluations team to identify and execute on opportunities to share and disseminate learnings
- Develop case studies on individual projects and share them both internally and externally
- Track and share internally articles, blogs and other relevant materials on trends in private sector development and technical assistance
- Attend relevant stakeholder meetings to keep abreast of developments in the sector
It is envisaged that initially the Project Coordinator will be primarily supporting other team members to monitor and build the portfolio of projects CDC Plus is managing. However over time, the Project Coordinator will have the opportunity to take the lead on the management of more complex projects and to develop a portfolio of their own projects to oversee.
- Some relevant experience of delivering several projects simultaneously, on time and on budget, preferably from the context of technical assistance for the private sector
- Passionate about working through the private sector to have sustainable impact
- Experience on the ground in Africa and Asia is strongly desirable and we would encourage applicants from Africa and South Asia to apply
- Relevant degree (Business, Economics, International Development or related degree) or equivalent industry experience
- Project management and coordination experience, particularly with regards to financial management, data analysis, reporting, knowledge management
- Experience and understanding of private sector development (including business advisory) in the context of Africa or Asia
- Ability to critically examine propositions and ask the right questions
- A well organised individual with an eye for detail, combined with a flexible, adaptable mindset
- Excellent listening and facilitation skills resulting in an ability to deliver impact across a matrix-based organisation
- Creative problem solving and the ability to adapt when necessary
- Strong writing skills and ability to communicate effectively
Our cultural values
We look for team members who aspire, as we do, to work at our best and to be:
- Impact-led, commercially rigorous
- Tenacious in the face of challenges
- Collaborative and caring
CDC is committed to diversity and inclusion and welcomes all applicants regardless of gender, age, educational background, national origin, ethnic origin, disability, sexual orientation and religion.
Please provide a cover letter with your application
Role opened: 18/07/2019
Role closes: 16/08/2019