Investment, Associate, Asia
- CDC is the UK’s development finance institution. Founded 70 years ago, we invest in the most challenging markets of Africa and South Asia with the aim of supporting economic development. CDC has net assets of £5.1bn, with over 1300 growing businesses in the portfolio.
- Last year we committed over £1billion of capital across 50 transactions.
- CDC is wholly owned by the UK government, who has committed a further £3.5bn of capital for CDC to deploy over the next two to three years.
- We are expanding our presence in Africa and South Asia with further new offices openings in 2020.
- At CDC, we take an entrepreneurial approach to investment. We think innovatively about ways to deploy our capital, attract and mobilise other investors, and drive transformational impact.
- Primarily, CDC invests to achieve impact and a financial return which is reinvested into more businesses. We aim to create jobs and accelerate economic prosperity and focus on sectors that will do this; manufacturing, food and agriculture, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education.
- CDC works with like-minded ambitious people who are primarily motivated by our mission to deliver impact. We are a growing team of over 400 and place immense value on diversity within our organisation.
- Read more about us on our website cdcgroup.com
Team and role overview
- The Associate is primarily being recruited to be part of Equity (Industrials) team. Industrials remit include Manufacturing (Pharmaceuticals, Chemicals, Building materials, Packaging, Auto-components etc.) and Construction and Real Estate (Affordable housing, Industrial warehousing etc.). Typical investments range between $20-200m with expected investment pace of $50-75m each year in the region over the next 5 years.
- Work closely with the Manufacturing and Construction and Real Estate teams in the Region and London, covering the following broad responsibilities:
- Provide execution support in entire deal process, including origination, investment analysis, writing investment committee papers, due diligence coordination and closing.
- Support portfolio management in close coordination with Investment Directors
- Provide on-ground support in analytics for broader sector trends as well as specific local issues impacting portfolio companies
- Maintain deal pipeline and filter potential opportunities
- Provide analytical support for initial screening of new opportunities as required
- This is a truly hands-on role, including end to end execution and requires an understanding of financial modelling, investment analysis and ability to work under pressure with significant responsibility
- Undertaking research into specific sub-sectors and countries that fit within the investment mandate to develop sector strategies, this will include providing support to sector mapping exercises that are periodically conducted
- Undertaking research in to specific prospect businesses or projects
- Keeping up to date with market developments and monitoring factors that can affect the markets and considering how these might affect the pipeline and portfolio companies
- Monitoring the financial news and updating the team of material information in the target countries, sector and companies
- Preparing periodic reports and working with the Regional Directors and Sector teams to help in the monitoring of investees’ financial and strategic performance, including compliance with CDC’s Environment, Social and Governance requirements
- Tracking public information and market views of investee companies
- Supporting Portfolio Directors with on ground monitoring of investments including interactions with company management, field visits and discussions with other market participants (e.g. Analysts)
- Supporting the Region and Sector team in entire deal process - including initial filtering of investment proposals for deals that fit within CDC’s developmental and investment mandate, Analysing financial information relating to specific companies, Building or analysing financial models and conducting sensitivity analysis, Assisting with reports to be presented to investment committee for approval and participating in the meetings, Conducting detailed valuations on companies using various methods, Assisting with the due diligence on a specific company, sector, and country, Supporting in the post-deal management of the investment portfolio
Environmental and Social Responsibility (ESR) Considerations:
- As an employee of CDC, you must be aware of the importance of ESR considerations and support the continued delivery of CDC’s ESR compliance process.
- As a member of an investment and portfolio management team, you should ensure that CDC’s investments are made to maximize their development impact (financial, economic and ESR performance and private sector development). You will need to give certain attention and devote time to ensuring that ESR performance of deals are appropriately managed and addressed
Background, skills, aptitude
- University degree and, preferably, with a specialisation in finance area, post graduate qualification is essential
- At least two to three years’ of relevant (top tier management consulting, private equity investing or investment banking roles) deal execution experience in the manufacturing space (pharmaceuticals, chemicals, building materials, packaging etc.) would be strongly preferred
- Should have worked in an international environment, including a track record of working in India and/or South Asia.
- Comfortable communicating with all levels of management internally and externally
- Demonstration of identity with CDC’s proposition including:
- An awareness of and appreciation for CDC’s developmental objectives
- Some evidence of these values is useful (E.g., volunteering, career changes due to changing motivations)
- An appreciation of what CDC is doing and a real desire and passion to be part of the next phase of development that CDC embarked upon in 2011/2012
- History of working with 'best in class' employers in their respective fields
- Appropriate periods with each previous employer and explicable career moves
- The flexibility and desire to spend time in the countries in which CDC invests
- An understanding of the remuneration and its structure, with the trade-offs it requires and a level-headed degree of long-term comfort with it
- Ability to analyse financial information relating to specific companies
- Strong expertise in building or analysing financial models and conducting sensitivity analysis
- Should be able to prepare and assist with reports to be presented to investment committee
- Conversant with and able to conduct detailed valuations on companies using various methods
- Strong numerical, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to analyse a Company’s financial statements and to make commercial assessments based on this analysis
- Basic commercial insight into the challenges and issues that businesses face
- Report writing and advanced knowledge of Excel is imperative
- Ability to work to deadlines and manage multiple projects effectively.
- Detailed working knowledge of and an active interest in investing in developing countries.
- Appropriate written/verbal communication to effectively carry out role
- Collaboration with own team and the larger employee community
- Drive to achieve objectives/results
- Organising self/teams to meet agreed deadlines
- Taking time to develop and support colleagues
- Ability to obtain agreement and cooperation in a ‘win-win’ fashion
Candidates should be strongly motivated by CDC’s development mission and ideally demonstrate some commitment to development or social goals through previous executive or non-executive activity
We look for colleagues who are
- Impact-led and commercially rigorous
- Tenacious in the face of challenges
- Collaborative and caring
CDC is committed to diversity and inclusion and welcomes all applicants regardless of gender, age, educational background, national origin, ethnic origin, disability, sexual orientation and religion.
Please provide a cover letter with your application.
Role opened: 13 May 2020
Role closed: 15 June 2020