Summer Intern (Direct Equity – Construction & Real Estate)
- CDC is the UK’s development finance institution. Founded 70 years ago, we invest in the most challenging markets of Africa and South Asia with the aim of supporting economic development. CDC has net assets of £5.1bn, with over 1300 growing businesses in the portfolio.
- Last year we committed over £1billion of capital across 50 transactions.
- CDC is wholly owned by the UK government, who has committed a further £3.5bn of capital for CDC to deploy over the next two to three years.
- We are expanding our presence in Africa and South Asia with further new offices openings in 2019.
- At CDC, we take an entrepreneurial approach to investment. We think innovatively about ways to deploy our capital, attract and mobilise other investors, and drive transformational impact.
- Primarily, CDC invests to achieve impact and a financial return which is reinvested into more businesses. We aim to create jobs and accelerate economic prosperity and focus on sectors that will do this; manufacturing, food and agriculture, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education.
- CDC works with like-minded ambitious people who are primarily motivated by our mission to deliver impact. We are a growing team of over 300 and place immense value on diversity within our organisation.
- Read more about us on our website cdcgroup.com
Making direct equity investments is central to our strategy. Such investments allow us to target capital at businesses that provide significant employment opportunities and which have the potential for strong growth and the creation of even more jobs.
The Construction & Real Estate team currently manages a portfolio of 4 investments. It is a small team with a large mandate, hence interns will be expected to be self-motivated, be able to adapt fast and support the team across a variety of workstreams.
Our priority asset classes include:
Logistics & Industrial Parks
- Budget Hotels
- Affordable Housing
- Urban Development
- Student Housing
- Box Retail/neighbourhood malls
- Office Parks
The primary role of the Intern will be to support the deal teams. This will include assisting with:
- Analysing new investment proposals, including market research, financial analysis and valuations
- Preparing presentation materials for investment committees;
- Performing discrete project work around sector mapping to identify potential investees and to help develop investment theses
- Undertaking research into specific sub-sectors, countries, regions and companies as part of an on-going mapping exercise and/or continuing sector knowledge development
- Producing market developments updates across the continent, monitoring factors that could have an impact on pipeline and portfolio companies, using open-source information and specialized publications
Evaluation of new investment proposals:
- Initial filtering of investment proposals for deals that fit within CDC’s developmental and investment mandate
- Analysing financial information relating to specific companies and projects
- Building or analysing financial models and conducting sensitivity analysis
- Conducting a detailed valuation on a company using various methods
- Assisting with the due diligence on a specific company, project, sector, and country
- Assisting with preparing investment committees reports and participating in the meetings
- Reviewing the financial, operating and development impact performance of investee companies
- Supporting the execution of specific value creation initiatives
- Assisting with the preparation of internal portfolio review papers and analysis of portfolio level performance
- University degree or equivalent and currently enrolled in an MBA programme or equivalent programme
- Demonstrable business experience, preferably in investment banking, consulting or private equity
- Exposure to emerging markets (especially in Africa and Asia) and/ or real estate is desirable
- Demonstration of identity with CDC’s proposition including:
- An awareness of and appreciation for CDC’s objectives
- A desire and passion to be part of CDC’s strategy and participate in its work
- Evidence of high performance standards in previous positions
- Ability to analyse data, draw conclusions and present ideas strong written and oral presentation skills
- Report writing and advanced knowledge of Excel and PowerPoint
- Strong commercial insight into the challenges and issues that businesses face
- Analytical, research and valuation skills, including the ability to analyse company financial statements, sector data, economics and relevant political events
- Understanding of debt and equity investments and the challenges/issues involved with a type of investment
- Understanding of emerging market environments
- Please provide a cover letter
- Please apply for a maximum of two Summer Internships, clearly stating your preference in your cover letter
- Position opened: 12 December 2018
- Position closes: 30 January 2019
- Salary: £56,888 (pro-rated over 10 weeks). Please note CDC will not be able to provide relocation costs