Investment Director, Infrastructure Direct Equity
- Our mission is to support the building of businesses throughout Africa and South Asia, to create jobs and make a lasting difference to people’s lives in some of the world’s poorest places.
- We aim to invest in countries where we can have the greatest impact. In countries where the private sector is weak and jobs are scarce.
- We invest in sectors where growth leads to jobs – both directly and indirectly. In sectors such as manufacturing, agribusiness, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education. Last year, the businesses we invest in created more than a million jobs.
- We are successful because we are a high quality investment organisation, using the best commercial skills and judgement to make investments in great companies and support them to grow over the long term. We therefore want to attract people with these skills but who are motivated to use them to dramatically improve the private sector in Africa and South Asia
- For further information, please visit our website cdcgroup.com
- Work with the Head of Infrastructure Investments to implement a strategy for CDC’s infrastructure investments in Africa and South Asia. Our current priority sectors include Energy (Power, Gas Infrastructure), Transport (Ports, Roads), Logistics, Towers and general Utilities (Water, Wastewater).
- Part of the Infrastructure leadership team, helping to define the team strategy, mentoring of team members to execute the strategy
- Develop and maintain a broad understanding of the infrastructure market in Africa and South Asia with a view to:
- Identify trends, opportunities, issues, etc.
- Develop understanding of potential target companies, relationships with their shareholders and senior management, insight into their businesses, etc.
- Develop and maintain a broad network of potential infrastructure co-investors, advisers, bankers, non-executive directors, etc.
- Lead thorough research on potential investments in target companies, trends in industry/sectors, country analysis and monitoring performance of portfolio companies.
- Lead analysis and evaluation of new proposals to invest in emerging market investments, including due diligence, with joint responsibility for preparing recommendations to CDC’s Investment Committee.
- Lead negotiations with management companies and other investors, of all aspects of investment agreements
- Lead on closing of investments and ensure compliance with CDC procedures
- Active engagement with the relevant investments, in order to properly monitor the performance of the investments and their compliance with CDC’s investment policy.
- Engage actively with the relevant portfolio companies’ post-investment, in order to drive and manage performance of the investments from a commercial, developmental and ESG perspective.
- Taking a pro-active approach to building value and to resolving problems of under-performance and/or non-compliance at investment level.
- Maintaining up-to-date knowledge and expertise on conditions in the emerging markets and specifically the economic, political and social conditions in markets where CDC’s funds operate, or potentially wish to operate.
- Advise other areas of CDC (such as Debt and Funds) in their Infrastructure investments
- Establish relationships in Africa and/or South Asia with a range of potential co-investors in Infrastructure to generate a high-quality deal flow matched to an agreed investment strategy.
- Leading the preparation of investment reports and communicating the rationale for investing in the target company to the investment committee together with a balanced view of the risks, opportunities and potential returns;
- Conducting a thorough analysis on the potential investment; and finding mitigating factors to minimise the exposure risk to CDC Group;
- Leading workstreams on the detailed valuation on companies using various methods, particularly DCF, comparing valuation against trading companies and past transaction. Including providing outputs of the detailed valuations.
- Conducting a thorough due diligence on a company, sector, and country. Manage third party due diligence advisors, arrange meetings with various stake-holders;
- Apply good judgment and historical analysis to issues or problems discovered during due diligence, and formulate sounds plans to mitigate problems.
- Keeping up to date with market developments and all other areas that can affect the markets, e.g. movements in the economies of relevant countries. Advice portfolio companies on market developments and precautionary measures to be taken;
- Monitoring the financial news and updating Investment team of material information in the target countries, sector and companies;
- Writing research reports and investment ideas;
- Represent CDC on governance boards in portfolio companies;
- Ensuring that Investment team meet the numerous compliance regulations;
- Develop collaborative working relationships with the other CDC teams, especially Funds, Debt, ESG, Legal and Finance;
- Track progress of investments against agreed measures including ESG.
- Put in place appropriate post-investment portfolio management strategies and where appropriate represent CDC on governance boards in portfolio companies;
- Coaching members of the team and being responsible for a number of individuals’ career development
Background and Competencies
- Relevant University degree and, preferably, MBA or post-graduate professional qualification;
- Significant relevant business experience corresponding to Director level in an international environment, including a track record of working in infrastructure in emerging markets such as Africa and/or South Asia;
- Experience of investing in and/or developing several infrastructure projects in emerging markets (exit track record preferred);
- Experience with private equity fund management, institutional investment and/or investment banking is desirable;
- Experience of structuring, negotiating and reviewing investment proposals;
- Equity valuation, financial structuring and experience of direct investing;
- Comfortable communicating with all levels internally and externally;
- Strong numerical, analytical and problem-solving skills; and
- Ability to work to deadlines, lead deal teams and manage multiple projects effectively
- Detailed working knowledge of and an active interest in investing in developing countries.
- Demonstrable alignment with CDC mandate, mission and values.
- Strategic thinker, able to contribute to the formulation and implementation of sector strategies in the emerging markets context;
Personal and Professional Competences
The successful candidate is likely to have several of the following attributes:
- Ability to assess execution capabilities of an Infrastructure development team
- Ability to understand requirements of various stakeholders in a project (government, regulator, contractors, customers, debt and equity financers, etc.)
- Strong financial modelling and analysis skills
- Ability to assess risk and opportunity in potential investments
- Potential to develop relationships with management teams, intermediaries
- Familiarity with diligence processes, financial terms, legal terms, etc. in Infrastructure projects
- Understanding of monitoring and ongoing relationships
- Strong team working and management skills
CDC is a diverse and inclusive employer, with a collegial and supportive work environment including opportunities for flexible working. To learn more about the CDC investment team visit our website: https://www.cdcgroup.com/en/about/our-people/teams/investment-teams/
Please include a one-page cover letter with your application
Role Posted on: 24/09/2018
Role Closes on: 23/10/2018