Investment Manager/Executive, Portfolio and Risk Management Trade and Supply Chain Finance Team
- Our mission is to support the building of businesses throughout Africa and South Asia, to create jobs and make a lasting difference to people’s lives in some of the world’s poorest places.
- We aim to invest in countries where we can have the greatest impact. In countries where the private sector is weak and jobs are scarce.
- We invest in sectors where growth leads to jobs – both directly and indirectly. In sectors such as manufacturing, agribusiness, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education. Last year, the businesses we invest in created more than a million jobs.
- We are successful because we are a high quality investment organisation, using the best commercial skills and judgement to make investments in great companies and support them to grow over the long term. We therefore want to attract people with these skills but who are motivated to use them to dramatically improve the private sector in Africa and South Asia
- For further information, please visit our website cdcgroup.com
You will support the work of the Trade and Supply Chain Finance (“TSCF”) team in London. The successful candidate will take the lead role in the day-to-day risk management of the TSCF portfolio.
You will be required to review and monitor net exposures and underlying portfolio transactions, identify risks and trends, and report appropriate monthly portfolio activity. You will be responsible for developing the risk budgeting process, setting risk limits and leading the periodic reallocation of limits.
In addition, you will support the TSCF team with the origination and execution of TSCF transactions. This includes assisting and managing with research, credit analysis, due diligence and documentation as required, as well as liaising with other relevant transaction support teams (Environmental and Social, Business Integrity and Development Impact).
You will be capable of:
- Taking a lead role in the risk management of the TSCF portfolio;
- Identifying and reporting key risks and measures of the TSCF portfolio;
- Drafting and maintaining the Risk Management Policy;
- Reviewing and developing the TSCF portfolio management tools, processes and procedures;
- Acting as primary liaison with S&P and other 3rd party vendors;
- Managing different internal and external stake holders;
- Reviewing transaction documentation;
- Analysing new TSCF transactions, their specific risk and impact on the portfolio;
- Assisting in due diligence tasks;
- Other as business as required.
- Leading the TSCF portfolio monitoring
- Month-end reporting, utilisation, covenant and limit monitoring;
- Update internal systems such as eFront and any other system as required;
- Act as liaison to other debt teams and Investment Committee (“IC”) members as needed to manage and review existing and new obligor risks;
- Manage and further develop internal monitoring tools, systems and polices;
- Be the primary point of contact with S&P and other 3rd party vendors.
Research and strategy:
- Contribute to product/country and program strategies; collect market data and other ad-hoc analysis/research activities relevant to CDC’s TSCF business;
- Keep up-to-date with deal-flow, deal management and portfolio monitoring databases for all transactions covered by the debt team;
- Contribute and support the team with creating and maintaining marketing assets for the purpose of education, business development and conference attendance.
- At least four years of relevant experience in risk or portfolio management;
- DFI, commercial banking, Trade Finance, Credit Funds or other suitable background;
- Understanding of trade and supply chain finance;
- University degree educated;
- Obtained or studying toward CFA, CITF, ACA, FRM or MBA would be a plus.
Knowledge of any of the following products would be advantageous:
- Trade Finance documentary credit, such as Letter of Credit, Bank Guarantee, Performance Bonds etc;
- Structured Trade Finance, PO Financing etc;
- Supply Chain Financing (i.e. Reverse Factoring), Factoring, Invoice Discounting/Financing, LC Discounting;
- Fund Structuring and Funds Suppliers;
- Value Chain Financing, Distributor Financing;
- Direct Lending, SME Lending, Micro Lending.
- A knowledge of trade and supply chain finance;
- Analytical and research skills (including the ability to analyse FI and Corporate reports, sector data, economics and relevant political events);
- Credit analysis skills and ability to analyse FI and corporate financial statements and make commercial assessments;
- Foreign language skills, particularly those spoken in CDC’s geographies (e.g. French, Portuguese etc.) would be an additional advantage;
- Evidence of relationship building and ability to develop a network of relevant external contacts, as well as internally across different teams;
- Internal credit rating tools.
- Strong mathematical background;
- Knowledge of market and credit risk principles and their application;
- Understanding of operational, reputational and regulatory risk;
- Experience working with and implementing the Basel frameworks;
- Excel modelling skills with VBA;
- Ability to work on multiple projects while keeping to deadlines and managing time effectively;
- Good business communication and presentation skills;
- As a member of a small team, a flexible and “hands on” approach is a prerequisite;
- An active interest in investing in developing countries and understanding of emerging market environments, with a willingness to travel;
- Demonstrable alignment with CDC mandate, mission and values.
Candidate generic values/ traits
Candidates must be strongly motivated by CDC’s proposition. This requires:
- An awareness of and appreciation for CDC’s objectives;
- Some evidence of these values is useful (e.g., volunteering, career changes due to changing motivations);
- An appreciation of CDC’s activities and a passion to be part of CDC’s continued growth;
- Appropriate periods with each previous employer and explicable career moves;
- The flexibility and desire to spend time and travel in the countries in which CDC invests;
- An understanding of the remuneration and its structure, with the trade-offs it requires;
- Willingness to take time to support colleagues.
- We look for candidates who share our culture and reflect our identity, the CDC identities are described as follows:
- Compassion is central to everything we do
- We owe our clients and prospective clients a fast and thoughtful process
- We accept the tough challenges inherent in our mission
- We are quick and non-defensive when things go wrong
- We oppose bureaucracy
- We never forget that we are investing and spending tax payers’ money
- We promote a fulfilling work environment
Please include a cover letter with your application
Role Posted on: 26/06/2018
Role Closes on: 25/07/2018