Executive, Development Impact (Funds)
- Our mission is to support the building of businesses throughout Africa and South Asia, to create jobs and make a lasting difference to people’s lives in some of the world’s poorest places.
- We aim to invest in countries where we can have the greatest impact. In countries where the private sector is weak and jobs are scarce.
- We invest in sectors where growth leads to jobs – both directly and indirectly. In sectors such as manufacturing, agribusiness, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education. Last year, the businesses we invest in created more than a million jobs.
- We are successful because we are a high quality investment organisation, using the best commercial skills and judgement to make investments in great companies and support them to grow over the long term. We therefore want to attract people with these skills but who are motivated to use them to dramatically improve the private sector in Africa and South Asia
- For further information, please visit our website cdcgroup.com
CDC’s Development Impact (DI) team provides technical leadership as we screen, manage and evaluate the development impact of the investments we make. Over the next five years CDC will implement a world-class framework designed to select the right investments, assess, measure and communicate their impact and better understand what works in private sector development.
We are recruiting a Development Impact Executive who will be embedded in the Intermediated Equity (IE) investment team. This important role will provide development impact expertise for the investment team and investees as needed for CDC’s main portfolio. The Executive will track our progress against development impact objectives from origination to exit, and seek to understand in more depth the impact we are achieving through our intermediated investments, including through the underlying investments made by our fund managers. This role will require travel, for example to undertake due diligence visits, or when validating the development impact of specific investments.
- Work on investments from origination to exit / fund dissolution, providing development expertise for the investment team and investee as needed. This includes:
- Coordinating the development impact cases for prospective investments through the Investment Committee process, which will involve desk research, facilitating discussions, and due diligence where necessary.
- Being responsible for the timely collection of DI metrics for the main portfolio of investments, in collaboration with the broader DI team.
- Analysing over time how funds are performing against their initial development thesis, feeding back learning to the investment team and the broader organisation.
- Develop impact cast studies and support evaluation studies relevant to the intermediated equity portfolio (in coordination with the broader DI team).
- Support strategic thinking and fund manager selection, providing insights from a DI perspective.
- Strengthen the overall development case for investing in funds, using evidence from CDC’s portfolio and in particular looking at the impact of funds on the private sector ecosystem.
- Develop innovative ways to engage GPs on their development impact (in liaison with the investment teams), e.g. by sharing back DI data and insights.
- Work with the Communications Team to communicate impact and share lessons learned to internal and external audiences.
- Strong academic credentials.
- At least five to eight years’ work experience, preferably within development, management consulting or the investment industry, and preferably with exposure to private sector investing.
- Work experience in emerging markets and developing economies, preferably in Africa and South Asia, is a strength.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong understanding of underlying commercial strategies and ability to consider development impact in a lean and pragmatic manner, ideally in a way that is additive to the funds and their underlying companies.
- Strong communication skills – the ability to describe development impact scenarios with accuracy and concision; and the ability to explain development impact to non-professionals.
- Confident managing data and collating and presenting evidence.
- Demonstrated ability to take ownership for delivery of a high quality, responsive service to demanding clients.
- Team working: close collaboration with investment teams and others across the organisation.
- Results focus: drive to achieve objectives/results.
- Personal effectiveness: organising self and others to meet agreed deadlines.
- Relationships: effective at building and maintaining relationships with fund managers, external stakeholders and the wider industry.
- We look for candidates who share our culture and reflect our identity, the CDC identities are described as follows:
- Compassion is central to everything we do
- We owe our clients and prospective clients a fast and thoughtful process
- We accept the tough challenges inherent in our mission
- We are quick and non-defensive when things go wrong
- We oppose bureaucracy
- We never forget that we are investing and spending tax payers’ money
- We promote a fulfilling work environment
Please submit a cover letter with your application.
Posted on: 1st November 2017
Closing on: 3rd December 2017