- CDC is the UK’s development finance institution. Founded 70 years ago, we invest in the most challenging markets of Africa and South Asia with the aim of supporting economic development. CDC has net assets of £5.1bn, with over 1300 growing businesses in the portfolio.
- Last year we committed over £1billion of capital across 50 transactions.
- CDC is wholly owned by the UK government, who has committed a further £3.5bn of capital for CDC to deploy over the next two to three years.
- We are expanding our presence in Africa and South Asia with further new offices openings in 2020.
- At CDC, we take an entrepreneurial approach to investment. We think innovatively about ways to deploy our capital, attract and mobilise other investors, and drive transformational impact.
- Primarily, CDC invests to achieve impact and a financial return which is reinvested into more businesses. We aim to create jobs and accelerate economic prosperity and focus on sectors that will do this; manufacturing, food and agriculture, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education.
- CDC works with like-minded ambitious people who are primarily motivated by our mission to deliver impact. We are a growing team of over 400 and place immense value on diversity within our organisation.
- Read more about us on our website cdcgroup.com
Team and role overview
- CDC is regulated by the FCA as a MiFID exempt Venture Capital firm. It conducts business on its own account and does not hold client assets.
- The Compliance team plays an important role in reinforcing CDC’s reputation as a responsible investor; ensuring CDC meets its regulatory commitments with respect to the FCA, having systems and controls in place to counter the risk that CDC might be used to further financial crime and working to enhance private sector standards in financial crime management in our target geographies.
- As part of CDC’s compliance team, the Compliance Associate will support the effective management of regulatory compliance risk and the design, implementation and adherence to the compliance arrangements of CDC’s operations. In parallel, the Associate will promote the importance of compliance both within and outside of CDC.
- Assist in supporting the handling of compliance matters and queries arising from CDC’s operations in relation to employee compliance FCA regulations, data protection and the Freedom of Information Act. This includes helping to compile relevant FCA regulatory returns.
- Helping to design and implement automated software tools to support employee compliance activity.
- Helping to design and implement CDC’s compliance monitoring and testing programme. Undertake monitoring of selected areas in line with a compliance monitoring programme and assist with the ongoing enhancement of that monitoring.
- Support the management of reports received through, CDC’s complaint handling arrangements, which may include assisting any investigation into such reports.
- Assist with the design and implementation of projects designed to enhance CDC’s compliance control framework. Lead certain workstreams within these projects and help present findings to senior management and other internal stakeholder groups. Help liaise with external third parties employed to assist with such projects.
- Support in facilitating the identification, assessment and mitigation of Compliance risks, and manage the updates to the Compliance risk registers as required. This will include managing and operating IT systems which support the CDC’s compliance programme.
- Assist in the drafting and updating of firm and group-wide policies and procedures and deliver compliance training to the business, to include the annual AML, ABC and Compliance training programmes.
- Keep abreast of UK compliance requirements relevant to CDC’s operations, as well as understanding the compliance obligations in the other countries in which CDC operates.
- Support the development of the investment teams’ knowledge of compliance requirements through designing and as appropriate, delivering tailored training and updates at team meetings.
- Prepare MI reports on compliance and regulatory issues for senior management ahead of board and senior management meetings.
- Knowledge of FCA compliance requirements for UK regulated financial institutions, gained from experience working in a private equity and development finance organisation;
- Suitable experience in dealing with compliance issues in a UK regulated financial institution, must be from a UK private equity and environment;
- Must have experience helping prepare for regulatory examination work, regulatory returns, Freedom of Information Act requests and external complaints processing;
- University degree (or equivalent) and a professional ICA qualification and membership covering Anti Money Laundering.
- Demonstrated aptitude for project work and delivering output to a high standard;
- Demonstrated interest in emerging markets, especially CDC’s target geographies in Africa and South Asia;
- Good working knowledge of the FCA Handbook and the ability to navigate the Handbook to identify and analyse relevant rules;
- Knowledge of a range of compliance methodologies, tools and techniques;
- Experience in developing policies and procedures, as well as preparing training;
- Experience in effectively managing KYC documentary processes;
- Understanding of the management of employee compliance relating to conflicts of interest and market abuse.
- Experience of project management and delivery;
Our cultural values
We look for team members who aspire, as we do, to work at our best and to be:
- Impact-led, commercially rigorous
- Tenacious in the face of challenges
- Collaborative and caring
CDC is committed to diversity and inclusion and welcomes all applicants regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
Please provide a cover letter with your application
Role opened: 29 July 2020
Role closes: 28 August 2020