- Our mission is to support the building of businesses throughout Africa and South Asia, to create jobs and make a lasting difference to people’s lives in some of the world’s poorest places.
- We aim to invest in countries where we can have the greatest impact. In countries where the private sector is weak and jobs are scarce.
- We invest in sectors where growth leads to jobs – both directly and indirectly. In sectors such as manufacturing, agribusiness, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education. Last year, the businesses we invest in created more than a million jobs.
- We are successful because we are a high quality investment organisation, using the best commercial skills and judgement to make investments in great companies and support them to grow over the long term. We therefore want to attract people with these skills but who are motivated to use them to dramatically improve the private sector in Africa and South Asia
- For further information, please visit our website cdcgroup.com
CDC requires a presence on the ground in Bangladesh for the following reasons:
- Deepen CDC presence in the country given its strategic importance in South Asia
- CDC historically had a local two-man office in Bangladesh and benefited strongly from the same, with the portfolio delivering substantial developmental and financial returns
- Deepen CDCs origination efforts across sectors and products. The on ground presence is seen as crucial to identify and back the right sponsors of business from an ethics perspective
- Support teams in execution of live deals.
- Monitor the current investment portfolio of CDC, influencing promoters and working to deliver our development and commercial goals
- Support Funds teams in identifying potential GPs as required
- Evolve themes for future highly impactful investment opportunities
Origination, portfolio management and support in execution:
- Origination: Map the industrial houses and companies across sectors (fitting into CDC core sectors) and arrive at a heat map of origination targets. This will be a continuously evolving exercise.
- Support teams in deal execution especially relating to local regulatory requirements and promoter interactions.
- Build appropriate network of advisors in the country for various sectors.
- Portfolio management: Represent CDC on the Boards or be an Observer as appropriate, monitor financial performance, and the implementation of post investment action plans including Development Impact (DI), Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) and Business Integrity (BI) action plans.
- Support the recruitment and management of local portfolio managers for specific investments as required by sector teams/DIAF
- Provide periodical updates on in-country sector developments and transactions survey (fitting into our mandate).
- Mapping successful Indian/South Asian business models and testing their adaptabilities to Bangladesh (e.g. low cost healthcare or MFI)
- Develop appropriate relationships with senior government officials and bureaucrats
- Develop and maintain local relationships with DFID, the World Bank, other DFIs and SWFs
- Deal execution support to respective product and sector teams for new deals and transactions in the country as needed
- Act as local eyes and ears, and have meetings as required, to support aims of the London teams
- Maturity to represent CDC independently on the ground.
- Investment experience
- Capability and perseverance to work with a small team
- Deep network and connections amongst the promoters and local industrial houses and ability to decipher which one to back.
- Relationship with senior government officials and bureaucrats
- Relationship with Investment Bankers and lenders, as well as other funds and private investors active in the country
- Relationship with other DFIs, world Bank, ADB and DFID.
- Passion for development.
- Above all, person of high integrity and able to represent CDC in the right way.
- Position will be based in Karachi, and reports to South Asia Director who sits in Bangalore, India
MBA with Finance with 10 years + experience on the ground with proven record in investing and deep relationships. Matured individual and well respected within the local community.
- We look for candidates who share our culture and reflect our identity, the CDC identities are described as follows:
- Compassion is central to everything we do
- We owe our clients and prospective clients a fast and thoughtful process
- We accept the tough challenges inherent in our mission
- We are quick and non-defensive when things go wrong
- We oppose bureaucracy
- We never forget that we are investing and spending tax payers’ money
- We promote a fulfilling work environment
Please include a cover letter with your application
Role Posted on: 29/06/2018
Role Closes on: 28/07/2018