Portfolio Administration Associate
- CDC is the UK’s development finance institution. Established in 1948 we invest in the most challenging markets of Africa and Asia with the aim of supporting economic development.
- CDC has net assets of £6.8bn and a portfolio of £5.2 billion. In 2020 we committed over £1.22 billion of capital to business in Africa and Asia and are now invested in 1,200 businesses which directly employ over 875,000 workers and support many more.
- CDC is a Public Limited Company and is wholly owned on behalf of the UK government by the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO).
- In the last few years, we have expanded our presence in Africa and Asia by opening new offices in Bangladesh, Egypt, Kenya, Myanmar, Nepal, Nigeria and Pakistan with additional locations opening soon.
- At CDC, we take an entrepreneurial approach to investment. We think innovatively about ways to deploy our capital, attract and mobilise other investors, and drive transformational impact.
- Primarily, CDC invests through direct equity, direct debt and funds products to achieve impact and a financial return which is reinvested into more businesses. We aim to create jobs and accelerate economic prosperity and focus on sectors that will do this; manufacturing, food and agriculture, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education.
- CDC works with like-minded ambitious people who are primarily motivated by our mission to deliver impact. We are a growing team of over 485 and place immense value on diversity within our organisation.
- Read more about us on our website cdcgroup.com
Team and role overview
CDC Group has recently created a portfolio administration team as part of a new focus on Investment Operations. The team is tasked with:
- Creating and developing a Portfolio Administration function, transferring existing processes from CDC’s Investment teams, Finance, Treasury etc
- Improving the Portfolio Administration process to make it more effective and efficient by reviewing existing process and introducing automation and standardisation
The Portfolio Administration team will be a dedicated group of professionals who ensure that CDC’s portfolio of investments is monitored for lifecycle events and administered effectively and efficiently. It will ensure transactions are processed in a timely manner and that the data recorded in the portfolio is accurate and can be relied on for critical processes across the firm.
Investments are made in Private Equity Funds, Direct Equity, Direct Debt and Trade and Supply Chain Finance.
The Portfolio Administration team plays a prominent and critical role in maintaining and monitoring CDC’s portfolio to ensure lifecycle events are processed effectively.
- Perform administration duties related to initial investment transactions, e.g. deal capture and setup of related instrument data on CDC systems.
- Process requests for drawdowns from investees/borrowers, prepare documentation and obtain relevant approval for Fund and Debt Disbursements.
- Monitor, check and administer ongoing lifecycle events, processing disbursements, distributions for Funds.
- Where CDC has made an investment with partner institutions, verify funding requests and payments calculated by partners.
- Monitor for receipt of periodic reports from borrowers and investees, analyse and verify data for entry to CDC systems, e.g. Financials, Environment and Social data, Performance returns etc. When necessary liaise with borrowers and investees to obtain late reports or query data that did not pass verification.
- Analyse underlying investments in Fund investments and update CDC systems.
- Prepare exposure reporting for CDC investments.
- Prepare data for Investment teams for inclusion with CDC quarterly portfolio reviews. Assist with ad-hoc portfolio analysis and reporting.
- Flag issues with CDC investments to the Investment teams and senior management as appropriate.
Background, skills, aptitude
- Must have suitable previous experience working within a portfolio administration function, or fund accountancy within an Investment environment
- Organised approach to ensure timely follow up on outstanding issues and identify appropriate action to be taken
- Attention to detail ensuring a high degree of accuracy for all deliverables
- Ability to multi-task and balance activities without losing sight of deadlines
Essential skills include:
- Understanding of financial instruments and the administration processes that are required to support them, deal capture, payments, receipts
- Previous experience of any of Private Equity Funds, Direct Equity, Direct Debt and Trade and Supply Chain Finance
- Previous experience working with portfolio administration software packages
- Proficient with Microsoft Office tools, particularly Excel
- Ability to build strong relationships with other functions such as Investment teams, Legal, Finance and Treasury
- Excellent Communication skills to effectively articulate issues to internal and external partners
- Ability to work in a team environment and build strong relationships with colleagues and external contacts
Desirable skills include:
- Recognised accountancy qualification, or working towards it,
- CISI Investment Operations Certificate (IOC)
- Knowledge of Portfolio Management systems, ideally eFront
- Experience of interest accrual methodologies
- Knowledge of invoice processing
- Candidates should be strongly motivated by CDC’s development mission and ideally demonstrate some commitment to development or social goals through previous executive or non-executive activity
Our cultural values
We look for team members who aspire, as we do, to work at our best and to be:
- Impact-led, commercially rigorous
- Tenacious in the face of challenges
- Collaborative and caring
CDC is committed to diversity and inclusion and welcomes all applicants regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation or educational background.
Please provide a cover letter with your application