Receptionist – Part time (Monday’s and Tuesdays)
- CDC is the UK’s development finance institution. Founded 70 years ago, we invest in the most challenging markets of Africa and South Asia with the aim of supporting economic development. CDC has net assets of £5.1bn, with over 1300 growing businesses in the portfolio.
- Last year we committed over £1billion of capital across 50 transactions.
- CDC is wholly owned by the UK government, who has committed a further £3.5bn of capital for CDC to deploy over the next two to three years.
- We are expanding our presence in Africa and South Asia with further new offices openings in 2019.
- At CDC, we take an entrepreneurial approach to investment. We think innovatively about ways to deploy our capital, attract and mobilise other investors, and drive transformational impact.
- Primarily, CDC invests to achieve impact and a financial return which is reinvested into more businesses. We aim to create jobs and accelerate economic prosperity and focus on sectors that will do this; manufacturing, food and agriculture, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education.
- CDC works with like-minded ambitious people who are primarily motivated by our mission to deliver impact. We are a growing team of over 380 and place immense value on diversity within our organisation.
- Read more about us on our website cdcgroup.com
Team and role overview
- CDC require an additional part time receptionist to join the existing team consisting of three other receptionists and the head receptionist. You will assist in providing an efficient and effective reception service and will ensure that all callers and visitors are handled promptly and courteously in line with company procedures. You will be the initial voice and face of the company therefore you will need to be well presented, composed, have a clear and concise telephone manner and the ability to multitask whilst always staying proactive. This role requires a positive attitude with a strong work ethic, excellent communication skills, a down to earth nature whilst at the same time remaining professional.
- Handle all incoming and outgoing calls in a warm, confident and polite manner.
- Redirect callers to the appropriate person or department if unable to assist.
- Using an in-house system, you will keep the security reception team for the building updated with details of any guests expected.
- Ensuring the staff swipe card database is accurate and kept up to date, notifying the building security team of any lost or damaged cards and arranging cards for new staff members.
- Ensuring that only authorised visitors enter CDC’s offices.
- Monitor the reception email replying to messages in a timely manner
- Meeting and greeting of clients and colleagues in a professional and polished manner.
- Distributing incoming post to staff and using a franking machine ensure outgoing post is ready to be picked up every afternoon.
- Escorting clients to their meeting rooms and offering refreshments.
- Booking couriers and taxis.
- Liaising with building maintenance on any jobs that need to be done.
- Collect daily newspapers from building security in the mornings.
- Setting up audio-visual and video- and audio-conferencing equipment.
- Setting up laptops and Wi-Fi for guests and staff for presentations.
- Ensuring office clocks are all set to the correct time weekly.
- Ensuring kitchen area is tidy and canteen stocks are adequate, restocking when necessary.
- Booking lunches online and setting up the meeting room for lunches.
- Assisting other support staff with ad hoc duties as necessary.
- The reservation of meeting rooms is manged via Outlook calendars.
- Adjusting and rearranging meeting rooms as required to ensure maximum efficiency.
- Setting up meeting rooms to the required standard and clearing down when necessary after meetings.
- Ordering lunches, receipt, preparation and set up in the meeting room.
- Responsible for making sure the reception and meeting room areas are always neat and tidy.
- Ensure meeting rooms are stocked up with stationery daily and lights are turned off when meeting rooms are not in use.
- Assist with internal and external conferences, functions and events.
Assist Facilities and Operations Executive and Head Receptionist with the following:
- Acting as fire wardens and first-aiders.
- Logging issues and liaising with AV and IT for technical support for meeting rooms
- Reporting of equipment faults and Health & Safety issues to the Facilities Team
- Ordering of catering supplies and associated consumables
- Checking related invoices and expenses.
- Dark jacket and skirt / trousers with plain coloured top (no patterns / logos or slogans).
- Reception hours are from 08h00 to 18h30. Receptionists are required to work 9 hour shifts as follows on a rota basis:
0800 – 1700hrs
0830 – 1730hrs
0900 – 1800hrs
- The role will involve undertaking work out of normal office hours, assisting mainly but not limited to internal and external conferences, functions and events.
Background, skills, aptitude
- Excellent communication skills and telephone manner are essential.
- High level of social and diplomacy skills.
- Confident, cheerful and resourceful team-player.
- Experience of working in a varied reception role that can have very busy moments and quiet moments.
- Strong IT skills, particularly with audio-visual equipment, conferencing facilities, laptop presentations, MS Office and the ability to troubleshoot issues.
- Ability to build rapport with others internally and externally.
- Flexible and adaptable.
- Ability to stay calm under pressure.
- Attention to detail, especially checking and making sure rooms are perfect each time.
Communication: Appropriate written/verbal communication to effectively carry out role
Team Working: Collaboration with own team and the larger employee community
Results Focus: Drive to achieve objectives/results
Personal Effectiveness: Organising self/teams to meet agreed deadlines
Coaching/Mentoring: Taking time to develop and support colleagues
Influencing/Persuading: Ability to obtain agreement and cooperation in a ‘win-win’ fashion
CDC is committed to diversity and inclusion and welcomes all applicants regardless of gender, age, educational background, national origin, ethnic origin, disability, sexual orientation and religion.
Please provide a cover letter with your application
Role opened: 31/07/2019
Role closes: 29/08/2019