Background to MedAccess
MedAccess is a UK-based social finance company with a mission to improve access to more effective and affordable health products in under-served markets, mainly in Africa and South Asia.
At MedAccess we envisage a world where everyone can access the medicines and products they need to lead healthy lives. To support this vision, we offer financial guarantees that reduce commercial risks for businesses, thereby enabling them to lower their pricing and invest more aggressively in rolling out important new products. In this way, vaccines, medicines, diagnostic tests and medical devices can reach patients sooner than existing market forces would allow.
MedAccess is not a charity; it is a business with a social purpose. It is the world’s first specialist vehicle designed to deliver health financing guarantees with speed, scale and professionalism. Founded in 2017 with initial capital of $200 million from the CDC Group, MedAccess has a not-for-profit mandate to preserve capital and reinvest any surpluses to maximise positive health impacts. Our specialist staff of 15 have been selected to combine expertise in global health with rigorous financial skills and commercial acumen, underpinning the MedAccess ambition to achieve transformative impact with high levels of professionalism. MedAccess places a high priority on collaborative partnerships, particularly with global health organisations such as Unitaid, CHAI, Gavi, WHO, and the Global Fund.
MedAccess is a UK company governed by an independent board. MedAccess’ parent company, CDC Group, is the world’s oldest development finance institution, with 70 years of experience investing in businesses in Africa and Asia. It is wholly owned by the UK Government’s Department for International Development (“DFID”) and plays a key role in DFID’s private sector strategy to alleviate poverty.
For further information on MedAccess, please see our website: www.medaccess.org
MedAccess is expanding its investments team as part of a long-term growth plan and is currently looking to hire an Investment Manager. The Investment Manager will play a key role in the origination, structuring, execution and monitoring of transactions both financially and for development impact.
- Key role alongside senior members of the team in all areas of the investment process
- Screen and assess potential investment opportunities
- Lead due diligence and structuring of transactions
- Work in partnership with the Markets team on in depth market research
- Ownership of financial analysis, modelling and forecasting
- Lead the preparation and presentation of investment papers for consideration
- Assist with overall portfolio management
- Support senior management in the development and growth of MedAccess and other team initiatives
- Establish and cultivate relationships with companies, partners and other relevant organisations
- Guide and manage junior team members
- At least 8-10 years of experience in an investing role or significant transaction experience from investment banking, corporate finance or other related finance position
- Exceptional academics
- Well-rounded self-starter with good judgement, attention to detail and the resourcefulness to develop innovative approaches
- Excellent financial analytical, modelling and commercial skills for assessing and analysing investment opportunities and risks
- Assess structure and risk profile of investment opportunities
- Strong written and oral communication skills with the confidence to convey informed viewpoints to colleagues and external counterparties
- Ability to manage multiple workstreams concurrently
- A positive team player, with an adaptable and flexible approach
- Naturally inquisitive with a desire to understand the larger picture, and be involved with wider team and business objectives
- Enthusiasm for working in developing countries and global health; specific knowledge would be considered ideal but not essential
- Experience living or working in a lower- or middle-income country would be an advantage
- Foreign language skills would be an additional advantage
Our Cultural Values
We look for team members who share our values and who aspire to work with us at our best:
- We are mission-driven: We are hungry for transformative change; impact motivates every decision we make
- We build trust: We invest in relationships; we assume positive intent and are the first to extend trust
- We are transparent and accountable: We measure performance, embrace scrutiny and take time to learn from our mistakes
- We are humble: We focus on team over self and are quick to point out the contributions of others
- We are relentless about rigour: We embrace high standards in evidence, analysis and execution
- Impact focused: An ability to apply a development impact and commercial viability lens to pipeline activity
- Relationship building: Evidence of relationship building and ability to develop a network of relevant external contacts, as well as internally
- Growth mindset: Personal desire and interest to learn new things and explore new challenges
- Learning Agility: Ability to learn quickly, synthesis complex and possibly limited data sets succinctly in order to support team decision making
- Team working: A strong collaborator with an ability to work in different task teams and manage multiple workstreams concurrently
Please provide a cover letter with your application.
Role opened: 20th July 2020
Role closes: 19th August 2020