Associate, CDC Plus, Value Creation Strategies
- CDC is the UK’s development finance institution. Founded 70 years ago, we invest in the most challenging markets of Africa and South Asia with the aim of supporting economic development. CDC has net assets of £5.1bn, with over 1300 growing businesses in the portfolio.
- Last year we committed over £1billion of capital across 50 transactions.
- CDC is wholly owned by the UK government, who has committed a further £3.5bn of capital for CDC to deploy over the next two to three years.
- We are expanding our presence in Africa and South Asia with further new offices openings in 2019.
- At CDC, we take an entrepreneurial approach to investment. We think innovatively about ways to deploy our capital, attract and mobilise other investors, and drive transformational impact.
- Primarily, CDC invests to achieve impact and a financial return which is reinvested into more businesses. We aim to create jobs and accelerate economic prosperity and focus on sectors that will do this; manufacturing, food and agriculture, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education.
- CDC works with like-minded ambitious people who are primarily motivated by our mission to deliver impact. We are a growing team of over 300 and place immense value on diversity within our organisation.
- Read more about us on our website cdcgroup.com
The CDC Plus team (previously known as the Technical Assistance facility) manages a pool of grant funding from DFID for projects within our portfolio or at market level. The team specialises in using grants to fund value creation projects by supporting teams to identify, design and implement new initiatives, as well as working with external partners to incubate ideas and facilitate larger thematic programmes.
This JD relates to the duties, tasks and responsibilities of an Associate working as part of this team. The duties, tasks and responsibilities will vary to some extent depending on the portfolio of opportunities that arise and will, of necessity, remain flexible as strategies evolve.
The purpose of this position is to provide project coordination capacity to the growing portfolio of CDC Plus funded technical assistance programmes and assignments which aim to drive greater impact in CDC’s portfolio and address challenges in its sectors and markets.
The individual in this role will be excited to work with the CDC Plus team to ensure smooth implementation of technical assistance programmes throughout the lifecycle from project design, close oversight of the budget and milestone delivery as well as reporting and communications.
The CDC Plus Associate will:
- Play an instrumental role in supporting the CDC Plus team to provide effective project management of a portfolio of CDC-funded programmes and assignments to ensure they are delivered to high quality, on time and within budget
- Build strong relationships with stakeholders including CDC teams, project champions and service providers to ensure high quality of implementation and information capture of CDC Plus funded assignments
- Support all elements of the project life cycle including project design, budgeting and forecasting, data management and contracting as well as reporting
- Coordinate a process of continuous improvement in the efficiency and effectiveness of CDC Plus processes and systems
- Support the CDC Plus team in creating thought leadership pieces and sharing lessons learnt with the broader impact investing community and other relevant stakeholders.
Project management and coordination of CDC Plus-funded technical assistance
- Support to CDC Plus team on effective and efficient oversight of key projects
- Critically examination of proposals for CDC Plus funding, conducting supplementary research where needed
- Procurement and contracting of service providers as needed
- Monitoring of project implementation ensuring deliverables are met on time and to high standard
- Pro-active risk management including fiduciary and delivery risks
- Budgeting and forecasting CDC Plus expenditure
- Coordinate with finance and support review of invoices and supporting documentation as needed for CDC Plus payments/reimbursements
- Contribute to the development of CDC Plus processes and systems and the communication of those internally
- Maintain records of key documents such applications, contracts, memos for all CDC Plus projects
- Knowledge management and reporting on project progress internally and externally as needed
Enabling effective procurement of technical assistance service providers and consultants
- Managing introductions and relationships with consultants and service providers, ensuring CDC Plus has networks with the best TA providers in their respective fields
- Proactive due diligence on TA providers
- Maintaining a database of contacts with TA providers
Support in quality assurance of design of CDC-funded programmes and initiatives
- Support CDC teams in developing proposals for submission for approval at the CDC Plus Committee meetings
- Aligning project activities to funding principles to ensure sustainable behaviour change among CDC investees and other market actors
- Maintain a tracker and dashboard of CDC Plus funded initiatives
Thought leadership and communications
- Collecting and aggregating evidence of impact from CDC Plus funded initiatives
- Producing thought leadership pieces in key CDC Plus themes and distributing it to key stakeholders
- Capturing lessons learnt and using various communication tools to spur replication of innovative business practices among other market actors
- Relevant work experience in project management, ideally from technical assistance or private sector development programmes
- Passionate about working through the private sector to have sustainable impact
- Experience on the ground in Africa and Asia is strongly desirable
- Advanced degree (MBA, Economics, International Development or related degree)
- Project management and coordination experience, particularly with regards to data analysis, reporting, knowledge management
- Some technical knowledge of private sector development (including business advisory), market systems development or business environment reform in the context of Africa or Asia
- A practical and results oriented individual who has a proven record of delivering effective and high impact solutions and change on the ground
- Excellent listening and facilitation skills resulting in an ability to deliver impact across matrix-based organisations
- Project management experience and strong attention to detail, including data analysis and report writing
- Ability to critically examine propositions and ask the right questions
Please provide a cover letter with your application
Role opened: 10/04/2019
Role closes: 09/05/2019