Executive, Office of Investment Management and Analytics (OIMA)
- Our mission is to support the building of businesses throughout Africa and South Asia, to create jobs and make a lasting difference to people’s lives in some of the world’s poorest places.
- We aim to invest in countries where we can have the greatest impact. In countries where the private sector is weak and jobs are scarce.
- We invest in sectors where growth leads to jobs – both directly and indirectly. In sectors such as manufacturing, agribusiness, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education. Last year, the businesses we invest in created more than a million jobs.
- We are successful because we are a high quality investment organisation, using the best commercial skills and judgement to make investments in great companies and support them to grow over the long term. We therefore want to attract people with these skills but who are motivated to use them to dramatically improve the private sector in Africa and South Asia
- For further information, please visit our website cdcgroup.com
- The Office of Investment Management and Analytics (OIMA) includes two functions: the office of the Chief Investment Officer (CIO) and the office of the MD for Investment Management and Analytics (MD-IMA). These two functions work closely together to manage the investment decision-making process and provide portfolio and market analytics under the Analytics function.
- Support the MD-IMA and Director-IMA in delivering timely and accurate data and analysis regarding CDC’s performance against various benchmarks and objectives to management, the Board, and stakeholders.
- Work with the Analytics team to promote a collegial environment in which CDC is able to benefit from collaborative efforts to identify, prioritize, and deliver high quality analytics across the organization.
- Help contribute to knowledge-sharing across the investment teams, supporting data mining, building data bases and analytical tools, and facilitating lesson learning.
- Work with the MD-IMA to review the Additionality of new investment proposals as part of the Investment Committee process, and oversee the evaluation of Additionality for existing investments.
- Produce analysis and focused research for internal and external consumption to improve our investment decision making and educate a wider audience about the nature of investing in our markets.
- Participate in presentations to management and the Board from time to time, and to engage actively with management regarding new ways to enhance the benefit of analytics in decision-making.
- Deliver insightful analysis of CDC’s investments, providing performance metrics and forecast pipeline development.
- Gather, validate, and manipulate data on investment performance and risk to facilitate portfolio management and high-quality investment decision-making.
- Develop analytical reports to facilitate management and Board oversight of CDC investments.
- Deliver investment risk-related reporting for management, the Board, and the Board’s Risk Committee.
- Work with investment teams and senior management to develop high quality, well informed reports, tools and analysis to aid them with their investment decision making and portfolio management/monitoring.
- Deliver insightful macro-economic analysis that supports CDC’s management of portfolio risks, including currency risk.
- Contribute to corporate and team strategic planning as required, including assisting the CEO’s office and Strategy Team with their planning and execution of corporate objectives.
- MBA or equivalent credential with strong interest in overseas investment and in the use of analytics to support investment.
- At least 5 years of experience in a relevant field – for example, Investment Risk or Portfolio Analytics within Private Equity, Asset Management or Banking.
- Professional experience gathering, validating, and analysing investment and performance related data.
- Strong skills in analytics, ideally with professional experience in an investment firm or equivalent.
- Experience of market analysis (such as macro-economic, financial market or sector research) would be advantageous.
- Experience with a multi-class portfolio – debt, equity, and funds – with different return metrics, and with multi-currency/fx/hedging would be valuable.
- Experience working independently and unaided, with evidence of ability to deliver quality products on time and to required quality.
- Demonstrable interest in development finance in emerging markets (professional experience in relevant markets would be desirable).
- Communication: Strong written/verbal communication skills and comfortable communicating with all levels of management and stakeholders internally and externally;
- Self-starter: Able to take initiative in developing and delivering products;
- Team Working: Collaboration with own team and the larger employee community;
- Results Focus: Drive to achieve objectives/results;
- Personal Effectiveness: Organising self/project teams to meet agreed deadlines;
- Leadership/Management: Experience of successfully leading projects end-to-end;
- Influencing/Persuading: Ability to obtain agreement and cooperation in a ‘win-win’ fashion.
- Excellent analytical skills and a proven ability to research and collate data.
- Ability to draw well-grounded conclusions from complex data and present ideas effectvely.
- Ability to determine and apply appropriate methodologies in a limited data environment in order to draw reasonably robust conclusions. A broad understanding of statistical approaches would be valuable.
- Good knowledge of Excel. Additionally financial modelling skills would be advantageous but are not required.
- Some knowledge of relevant markets, preferably in Africa and South Asia, as well as relevant sectors.
- Understanding of Private Equity, Funds, and/or Debt and the challenges inherent in these types of investment.
- Knowledge of the investment process is preferred but not essential.
We look for candidates who share our culture and reflect our identity, the CDC identities are described as follows:
- Compassion is central to everything we do
- We owe our clients and prospective clients a fast and thoughtful process
- We accept the tough challenges inherent in our mission
- We are quick and non-defensive when things go wrong
- We oppose bureaucracy
- We never forget that we are investing and spending tax payers’ money
- We promote a fulfilling work environment
Please submit a cover letter with application
Role Posted on: 14/05/2018
Role Closes on: 12/06/2018