Investment Executive, Debt Team, Corporate Debt, South Asia (Mumbai)
- Our mission is to support the building of businesses throughout Africa and South Asia, to create jobs and make a lasting difference to people’s lives in some of the world’s poorest places.
- We aim to invest in countries where we can have the greatest impact. In countries where the private sector is weak and jobs are scarce.
- We invest in sectors where growth leads to jobs – both directly and indirectly. In sectors such as manufacturing, agribusiness, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education. Last year, the businesses we invest in created more than a million jobs.
- We are successful because we are a high quality investment organisation, using the best commercial skills and judgement to make investments in great companies and support them to grow over the long term. We therefore want to attract people with these skills but who are motivated to use them to dramatically improve the private sector in Africa and South Asia
- For further information, please visit our website cdcgroup.com
The Investment Executive will support in the development of the CDC’s debt business across South Asia by contributing in the origination, structuring and monitoring of relevant debt investment opportunities that meet CDC’s commercial and development impact criteria. The focus of the role will be on corporate debt transactions that will include senior / subordinate loans, acquisition financings and mezzanine debt / structured credit transactions, across a diverse range of industries (Healthcare, Education, Food and Agribusiness, Renewables, Manufacturing and Logistics among others). The role will also include lending to Financial Institutions and Project Finance opportunities across the region.
This is a truly hands-on role and requires an understanding particularly of India, as well as South Asia markets.
- Qualitatively and quantitatively evaluate potential transactions including but not limited to
- Detailed macro, sector and company research
- Financial and cash flow modelling
- Identifying key investment risks and mitigants, and
- Benchmarking and peer comparison.
- Review, challenge, interpret and analyse due diligence reports, and report findings and conclusions to senior members of the deal team.
- Assist the deal lead in preparing detailed credit analysis and relevant materials to help present the investment case to senior management and Investment Committee members.
Structuring and Execution:
- Take a lead on financial modelling and due diligence which will include cash flow analysis, debt sizing and sensitising external models; the analysis will be used in assessing the commercial viability of the investment opportunity, identifying optimal capital structure and negotiating key deal terms.
- Assist in deal structure and negotiate terms with clients appropriate to commercially acceptable standards, ensuring legal documentation that is best of class.
- Work with in-house legal team and external counsels to prepare and coordinate the execution of NDAs, term sheets, facility agreements and other legal and transaction documentation.
- Take responsibility of preparing the internal memo for Investment Committee discussions
- Include and manage the engagement of support teams (Environmental, Social, Business Integrity and Development Impact), ensuring all internal stakeholders can achieve their objectives.
Post Investment Monitoring:
- Lead on monitoring the portfolio of existing and new loans and supervising associates where required.
- Responsibilities would include: reviewing company reports, monitoring compliance against covenants, flagging any potential credit issues, preparing and presenting monitoring papers for review by CDC’s Investment Committee.
- Ensure the maintenance of a high-quality portfolio post-disbursement including financials, development impact and environmental, social and business integrity, leveraging internal specialists as needed.
- Apply appropriate portfolio monitoring processes that include preparation of periodic monitoring reports for CDC’s investment committee, checks for early warning signals, review of waiver requests and amendments, and thereby present recommendations for CDC’s investment committee or as required to comply with relevant regulations.
Business Development and Other Initiatives:
- Support the senior management in originating debt investment opportunities based on CDC’s relationships with commercial banks, DFIs and in co-operation with CDC’s equity team, CDC’s intermediated capital team, as well as directly with targeted marketing initiatives with select corporates
- Contribute to market-mapping and sector/country strategies undertaken by the corporate debt team independently or in coordinate with other teams within CDC; main responsibilities will include collecting market data, analysis research reports and maintaining a dialogue with local in-country partners.
- Provide visibility to CDC’s Debt business by participating in relevant conferences, seminars, industry associations, etc.
- Develop/maintain good relationships with CDC’s Direct Equity and Sector teams and the Intermediated Equity team, as well as other support teams.
- Maintain/develop knowledge of markets, geographies and sectors relevant to CDC’s Debt business.
- Lead/contribute to other ad hoc internal initiatives, strategic or otherwise.
- A proven background in international finance environment, preferably in corporate/investment banking or a DFI, within the debt investments, capital markets (loan origination), structured finance or leveraged finance team.
- A minimum of five years (post Masters) work experience with a keen understanding of emerging markets investment environment.
- Master’s degree from a reputable university in a relevant field (finance, economics, business administration) with a strong academic track record.
- Previous experience in structured credit investments and sectors such as consumer (healthcare, education, agribusiness), renewables and financials is desired but is not a prerequisite.
Financial Modelling: Excellent financial modelling experience (operating models, cash flow analysis and debt sizing, Holdco-Opco analysis, LBO, etc.). The candidate should be able to build models from scratch as well as should be able to sensitise external models.
- Analytical Skills: Ability to analyse economic, sector and company data to assess various risks inherent in the credit / transaction.
- Strong Verbal and Written Communication Skills: Ability to prepare clear and concise credit papers for investment committee and senior management. Strong verbal communication and presentation skills so as to effectively converse with internal (team members, senior management, investment committee) and external (clients, financing partners, lawyers, consultants) stakeholders.
- Communication: Appropriate written/verbal communication to effectively carry out role
- Team Working: Collaboration with own team and the larger employee community
- Results Focus: Drive to achieve objectives/results
- Personal Effectiveness: Organising self/teams to meet agreed deadlines
- Coaching/Mentoring: Taking time to develop and support colleagues
- Influencing/Persuading: Ability to obtain agreement and cooperation in a ‘win-win’ fashion
We look for candidates that share our culture and reflect our identity, the CDC identities are described as follows:
- Compassion is central to everything we do
- We owe our clients and prospective clients a fast and thoughtful process
- We accept the tough challenges inherent in our mission
- We are quick and non-defensive when things go wrong
- We oppose bureaucracy
- We never forget that we are investing and spending tax payers’ money
- We promote a fulfilling work environment
For further information, please see our website www.cdcgroup.com
Please submit a cover letter with your application.
Posted on 2 February 2018
Closing on 3 March 2018