Corporate Debt, Investment Manager and/or Director (2 positions available)
- Our mission is to support the building of businesses throughout Africa and South Asia, to create jobs and make a lasting difference to people’s lives in some of the world’s poorest places.
- We aim to invest in countries where we can have the greatest impact. In countries where the private sector is weak and jobs are scarce.
- We invest in sectors where growth leads to jobs – both directly and indirectly. In sectors such as manufacturing, agribusiness, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education. Last year, the businesses we invest in created more than a million jobs.
- We are successful because we are a high quality investment organisation, using the best commercial skills and judgement to make investments in great companies and support them to grow over the long term. We therefore want to attract people with these skills but who are motivated to use them to dramatically improve the private sector in Africa and South Asia
- For further information, please visit our website cdcgroup.com
Reporting to the Head of Corporate Debt these roles will play a leading role in the development of CDC’s Corporate Debt direct investment business through origination, structuring, execution and monitoring of debt investment opportunities that meet CDC’s commercial and development impact criteria. The role is focussed on debt transactions across CDC’s geographies (Africa and South Asia) and in sectors that would support significant employment creation such as healthcare, education, agribusiness, general manufacturing, telecoms, industrials and real estate.
- Originate debt investment opportunities utilising your own and CDC’s relationships with commercial banks, DFIs and clients directly, and in co-operation with CDC’s Direct Equity and Sector teams and the Intermediated Equity team.
- Develop/maintain a network of relevant contacts with commercial banks, DFIs, advisors, and an identified list of clients.
- Contribute to market-mapping exercises, where relevant, in close co-operation with the Sector teams as well as develop targeted debt origination strategies to focus our investment into sectors and geographies where we have natural advantage and where our capital is needed most.
- Develop marketing and pitch-book materials that effectively communicate CDC’s investment priorities and credit risk appetite to partners and clients.
- Provide visibility to CDC’s Corporate Debt business by participating in conferences, etc.
- Develop innovative approaches/products to fill market gaps and complement existing product offerings.
- Prepare and present high-quality investment proposals through CDC’s investment process.
Loan Structuring and Execution
Portfolio Construction and Monitoring
- Deliver a high quality, diversified portfolio of Corporate Debt transactions ranging from senior loans and guarantees to mezzanine style finance.
- Structure and negotiate terms with clients appropriate to commercially acceptable standards, ensuring legal documentation that is best of class.
- Ensure the maintenance of a high-quality portfolio post-disbursement including financials, development impact and environmental, social and business integrity, leveraging internal specialists as needed.
- Apply appropriate portfolio monitoring processes that include preparation of periodic monitoring reports for CDC’s investment committee, checks for early warning signals, review of waiver requests and amendments, and thereby present recommendations for CDC’s investment committee or as required to comply with relevant regulations.
Deal Team Management
- Lead small deal teams to execute on the above.
- Guide more junior members of the Debt Team, through sharing of experience and implementation of best practice in financial analysis, cash flow modelling, term sheet preparation and written presentation.
- Include and manage the engagement of support teams (Environmental, Social, Business Integrity and Development Impact), ensuring all internal stakeholders can achieve their objectives.
Contribute to Strategic and Other Internal Initiatives
- Develop/maintain relationships with CDC’s Direct Equity and Sector teams and the Intermediated Equity team, as well as other support teams.
- Maintain/develop knowledge of markets, geographies and sectors relevant to CDC’s Corporate Debt business.
- Lead/contribute to other ad hoc internal initiatives, strategic or otherwise.
- A proven background in international finance, preferably in corporate or investment banking or a DFI, within the debt investments, capital markets (loan origination), structured finance or leveraged finance team in emerging markets.
- Proven track record of originating, structuring and closing complex loan transactions in difficult environments.
- Management experience of leading deal teams, a hands-on transactor that will also nurture the development of others.
- Previous experience in our core sectors of healthcare, education, agribusiness, general manufacturing, telecoms, industrials and real estate is desired but is not a prerequisite.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field (finance, economics, business administration) if relevant, but is not a prerequisite.
- Proficiency in French may be an advantage.
- Excellent credit, financial and structuring skills.
- Strong understanding of diligence processes, financial terms, legal terms.
- Loan product knowledge including an understanding of market practice and credit risk structuring experience in emerging market economies.
- Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
We look for candidates who share our culture and reflect our identity, the CDC identities are described as follows:
- Compassion is central to everything we do
- We owe our clients and prospective clients a fast and thoughtful process
- We accept the tough challenges inherent in our mission
- We are quick and non-defensive when things go wrong
- We oppose bureaucracy
- We never forget that we are investing and spending tax payers’ money
- We promote a fulfilling work environment
Role posted: 13 July 2018
Role closes: 11 August 2018