Associate, Debt Investments, South Asia
- Our mission is to support the building of businesses throughout Africa and South Asia, to create jobs and make a lasting difference to people’s lives in some of the world’s poorest places.
- We aim to invest in countries where we can have the greatest impact. In countries where the private sector is weak and jobs are scarce.
- We invest in sectors where growth leads to jobs – both directly and indirectly. In sectors such as manufacturing, agribusiness, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education. Last year, the businesses we invest in created more than a million jobs.
- We are successful because we are a high quality investment organisation, using the best commercial skills and judgement to make investments in great companies and support them to grow over the long term. We therefore want to attract people with these skills but who are motivated to use them to dramatically improve the private sector in Africa and South Asia
- For further information, please visit our website cdcgroup.com
The Investment Associate will support the development of CDC’s debt business across South Asia covering the following broad responsibilities:
- Provide analytical support for initial screening of new investment opportunities
- Provide support during the entire investment process, including financial modelling, investment committee papers, due diligence coordination and closing
- Provide support in portfolio management of existing South Asia portfolio companies, in close coordination with other team members
- Provide on-ground support in analytics for broader sector trends as well as specific local issues impacting portfolio companies
- Provide support in origination of debt investment opportunities that meet CDC’s investment criteria
- The focus of the role will be on corporate debt transactions that will include senior / subordinate loans, acquisition financings and mezzanine debt / structured credit transactions, across a diverse range of industries (Healthcare, Education, Food and Agribusiness, Renewables, Manufacturing and Logistics among others). The role will also include lending to Financial Institutions and Project Finance opportunities across the South Asia region.
- This is a truly hands-on role and requires an understanding particularly of India, as well as South Asia markets.
- Evaluate potential transactions including but not limited to the following areas:
- Financial and cash flow modelling
- Detailed macro, sector and company research
- Identifying key investment risks and mitigants
- Benchmarking and peer comparison
- Review, interpret and analyse due diligence reports, and report findings and conclusions to senior members of the deal team.
- Assist the deal lead in preparing detailed credit analysis and relevant materials to help present the investment case to senior management and Investment Committee members.
Structuring and Execution:
- Take a lead on financial modelling which will include cash flow analysis, debt sizing and sensitising external models; the analysis will be used in assessing the commercial viability of the investment opportunity, identifying optimal capital structure and negotiating key deal terms.
- Work with in-house legal team and external counsels to prepare and coordinate the execution of NDAs, term sheets, facility agreements and other transaction documentation.
Post Investment Monitoring:
- Assist in monitoring the financial and non-financial performance of portfolio companies
- Tracking public information and market views of investee companies
- Responsibilities would include - reviewing company reports, monitoring compliance against covenants, flagging any potential credit issues, preparing and presenting monitoring papers for review by CDC’s Investment Committee.
- Ensure the maintenance of a high-quality portfolio post-disbursement including financials, development impact and environmental, social and business integrity, leveraging internal specialists as needed
- Undertaking research into regions, countries and specific sectors on an ad-hoc basis. This will include providing support to sector mapping exercises that are periodically conducted
- Undertaking research on specific prospect businesses or projects
- Keeping up to date with market developments and monitoring factors that can affect the markets and considering how these might affect the pipeline and portfolio companies
- Monitoring the financial news and updating the team of material information in the target countries, sector and companies
Business Development and Other Initiatives:
- Provide support in origination across CDC’s markets in South Asia; main responsibilities will include collecting market data, analysis research reports and maintaining a dialogue with local in-country partners.
- Responsible for updating deal logs, CRM, and other internal trackers
- Develop and update trackers for capturing key terms / other available data on deals done by other investors
- Contribute to other ad hoc internal initiatives, strategic or otherwise
- A proven background in international finance environment, preferably in corporate/investment banking or a bank or a DFI, within the debt investments, capital markets (loan origination), structured finance or leveraged finance team.
- Relevant (private sector banks, DFIs, credit funds, NBFCs) work experience in an international environment, including a track record of working in India and/or South Asia
- Comfortable communicating with all levels of management internally and externally
- Master’s degree from a reputable university in a relevant field (finance, economics, business administration) with a strong academic track record.
- Previous experience in structured credit investments and sectors such as consumer (healthcare, education, agribusiness), renewables and financials is desired but is not a pre-requisite.
- Financial Modelling: Excellent financial modelling experience (operating models, cash flow analysis and debt sizing, Holdco-Opco analysis, LBO, etc.). The candidate should be able to build models from scratch as well as should be able to sensitise external models.
- Analytical Skills: Ability to analyse economic, sector and company data to assess various risks inherent in the credit / transaction.
- Strong Verbal and Written Communication Skills: Ability to prepare clear and concise credit papers for investment committee and senior management. Strong verbal communication and presentation skills so as to effectively converse with internal (team members, senior management, investment committee) and external (clients, financing partners, lawyers, consultants) stakeholders.
Posted on: 11th October 2018
Closing on: 9th November 2018