Summer Intern, Africa Coverage Team
- Our mission is to support the building of businesses throughout Africa and South Asia, to create jobs and make a lasting difference to people’s lives in some of the world’s poorest places.
- We aim to invest in countries where we can have the greatest impact. In countries where the private sector is weak and jobs are scarce.
- We invest in sectors where growth leads to jobs – both directly and indirectly. In sectors such as manufacturing, agribusiness, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education. Last year, the businesses we invest in created more than a million jobs.
- We are successful because we are a high quality investment organisation, using the best commercial skills and judgement to make investments in great companies and support them to grow over the long term. We therefore want to attract people with these skills but who are motivated to use them to dramatically improve the private sector in Africa and South Asia
- For further information, please visit our website cdcgroup.com
CDC’s Principal Investment Groups
- Financial Services: This group oversees our investment activity via financial institutions and into financial services.
- Infrastructure and Climate: This group oversees our investment activity in energy sectors and wider infrastructure sectors such as transport. They also help develop our capability in climate-focused investing.
- SMART Industries (Services, Manufacturing, Agriculture, Real estate, Technology): This group oversees our investment activity in sectors such as manufacturing, telecoms, health, education, agriculture, consumer and business services and construction and real estate.
The Africa Coverage team focuses on:
- Strategy – developing and issuing regular regional and country perspectives reports, and supporting CDC’s investment teams with in-country and regional sector market mapping;
- Origination – establish and maintain relationships with key clients and various stakeholders such as regulators, local government agencies, in-country potential co-investment partners etc. Support investment teams with deal origination that fits within the approved investment strategies for Funds, Debt and Equity investments;
- Execution – supporting CDC’s investment teams on deal execution, provide guidance on risk identification and mitigation, and advisory on suitable local due diligence providers;
- Portfolio Management – support CDC’s investment teams with on-ground portfolio management and value creation to ensure that CDC’s investments are safeguarded from risk, implement agreed developmental goals, ESG objectives and exceed the commercial investment targets.
The Africa Coverage team works closely with investment teams, Development Impact team, Business Integrity team, ESG team, Communications team including Global Affairs and Corporate Strategy team across CDC on providing local insights.
Specific responsibilities will be driven by priorities and needs of the team at the time, but are expected to include some or all of the following:
- Support the development or update of the Africa Coverage Team’s overall strategy as may be required
- Support ad-hoc strategic projects as may be required
Using CDC’s proprietary data, specialised publications and open-source information to:
- Research, develop and maintain list of key clients and stakeholders;
- Research specific sub-sectors, countries and regions as a part of any ongoing strategy and market/industry mapping exercises;
- Develop the investment pipeline by identifying active and potential investee companies, new fund managers and platforms;
- Conduct background, macroeconomic and market research as part of the analysis for a specific proposal;
- Produce market and industry development updates and monitor factors that could have an impact on pipeline and portfolio companies.
- Evaluate new investment proposals to identify opportunities that fit within CDC’s developmental and investment mandate
- Update CDC’s deal tracking systems on a regular basis
- Assist with due diligence and financial analysis on specific proposals
- Assist with preparing presentations and participating in meetings with co-investors, potential investees and portfolio companies and funds where appropriate
- Assist with preparing investment committee papers and participating in the meetings
- Prepare reviews of investee funds’ financial and strategic performance, including compliance with CDC’s Development Impact thesis and Environment, Social and Governance requirements
- Update internal monitoring tools as appropriate
- University degree or equivalent level of education, currently enrolled in an MBA or equivalent programme
- Demonstrable business experience in an international environment, including exposure to emerging market finance
- Experience in an investing role within development finance, private equity, banking, financial institutions or digital financial services (fintech) is desirable
- A genuine affinity for developmental objectives, evidenced by personal interests and career decisions (e.g., volunteering, career changes due to changing motivations)
- Analytical acumen, financial modelling skills, and advanced knowledge of Excel
- Basic understanding of the key elements of due diligence, deal selection and investment decision-making
- Understanding of the financial services sector and drivers of different types of business models
- Insight into the commercial challenges businesses face in Africa and South Asia
- Understanding of private equity, other intermediated forms of investing and the challenges inherent in this type of investment
- Understanding of emerging market environments and inherent challenges associated with working in these environments
- Strong research, writing (long and short format) and oral presentation skills
- Ability to analyse data, synthesize various sources of information, draw conclusions and present ideas
- Team work: Collaboration with own team and the larger employee community
- Results focus: Drive to achieve outcomes/results
- Personal effectiveness: Organising self/teams to meet agreed deadlines efficiently
- Influencing/persuading: Ability to obtain agreement and cooperation in a ‘win-win’ fashion
We look for team members who aspire, as we do, to work at our best and to be:
- Impact-led, commercially rigorous
- Tenacious in the face of challenges
- Collaborative and caring
CDC is committed to diversity and inclusion and welcomes all applicants regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation or educational background.
- Please provide a cover letter with your application and tell us why you would like to join the Summer Internship programme at CDC, and why you have chosen for this business area / team
- Please apply for one internship only
- Position opened: 09/12/2020
- Position closes: 24/01/2021
- Salary: Competitive
- Please note CDC will pay for flights to London for those studying internationally