Investment Executive, Portfolio and Risk Management - Trade and Supply Chain Finance Team
- CDC is the UK’s development finance institution. Founded 70 years ago, we invest in the most challenging markets of Africa and South Asia with the aim of supporting economic development. CDC has net assets of £5.1bn, with over 1300 growing businesses in the portfolio.
- Last year we committed over £1billion of capital across 50 transactions.
- CDC is wholly owned by the UK government, who has committed a further £3.5bn of capital for CDC to deploy over the next two to three years.
- We are expanding our presence in Africa and South Asia with further new offices openings in 2020.
- At CDC, we take an entrepreneurial approach to investment. We think innovatively about ways to deploy our capital, attract and mobilise other investors, and drive transformational impact.
- Primarily, CDC invests to achieve impact and a financial return which is reinvested into more businesses. We aim to create jobs and accelerate economic prosperity and focus on sectors that will do this; manufacturing, food and agriculture, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education.
- CDC works with like-minded ambitious people who are primarily motivated by our mission to deliver impact. We are a growing team of over 400 and place immense value on diversity within our organisation.
- Read more about us on our website cdcgroup.com
You will support the work of the Trade and Supply Chain Finance (“TSCF”) team in London. The successful candidate will take the lead role in the day-to-day risk management of the TSCF portfolio.
You will be required to review and monitor net exposures and underlying portfolio transactions, identify risks and trends, and report appropriate monthly portfolio activity. You will be responsible for developing the risk budgeting process, setting risk limits and leading the periodic reallocation of limits.
In addition, you will support the TSCF team with the origination and execution of TSCF transactions. This includes assisting and managing with research, credit analysis, due diligence and documentation as required, as well as liaising with other relevant transaction support teams (Environmental and Social, Business Integrity and Development Impact).
You will be capable of:
- Taking a lead role in the risk management of the TSCF portfolio;
- Identifying and reporting key risks and measures of the TSCF portfolio;
- Drafting and maintaining the Risk Management Policy;
- Reviewing and developing the TSCF portfolio management tools, processes and procedures;
- Acting as primary liaison with S&P and other 3rd party vendors;
- Managing different internal and external stake holders;
- Reviewing transaction documentation;
- Analysing new TSCF transactions, their specific risk and impact on the portfolio;
- Assisting in due diligence tasks;
- Other as business as required.
- Leading the TSCF portfolio monitoring
- Month-end reporting, utilisation, covenant and limit monitoring;
- Update internal systems such as eFront and any other system as required;
- Act as liaison to other debt teams and Investment Committee (“IC”) members as needed to manage and review existing and new obligor risks;
- Manage and further develop internal monitoring tools, systems and polices;
- Be the primary point of contact with S&P and other 3rd party vendors.
Research and strategy:
- Contribute to product/country and program strategies; collect market data and other ad-hoc analysis/research activities relevant to CDC’s TSCF business;
- Keep up-to-date with deal-flow, deal management and portfolio monitoring databases for all transactions covered by the debt team;
- Contribute and support the team with creating and maintaining marketing assets for the purpose of education, business development and conference attendance.
- Strong relevant experience in risk or portfolio management;
- DFI, commercial banking, Trade Finance, Credit Funds or other suitable background;
- Understanding of trade and supply chain finance;
- University degree educated;
- Obtained or studying toward CFA, CITF, ACA, FRM or MBA would be a plus.
Knowledge of any of the following products would be advantageous:
- Trade Finance documentary credit, such as Letter of Credit, Bank Guarantee, Performance Bonds etc;
- Structured Trade Finance, PO Financing etc;
- Supply Chain Financing (i.e. Reverse Factoring), Factoring, Invoice Discounting/Financing, LC Discounting;
- Fund Structuring and Funds Suppliers;
- Value Chain Financing, Distributor Financing;
- Direct Lending, SME Lending, Micro Lending.
- A knowledge of trade and supply chain finance;
- Analytical and research skills (including the ability to analyse FI and Corporate reports, sector data, economics and relevant political events);
- Credit analysis skills and ability to analyse FI and corporate financial statements and make commercial assessments;
- Foreign language skills, particularly those spoken in CDC’s geographies (e.g. French, Portuguese etc.) would be an additional advantage;
- Evidence of relationship building and ability to develop a network of relevant external contacts, as well as internally across different teams;
- Internal credit rating tools.
- Strong mathematical background;
- Knowledge of market and credit risk principles and their application;
- Understanding of operational, reputational and regulatory risk;
- Experience working with and implementing the Basel frameworks;
- Excel modelling skills with VBA;
- Ability to work on multiple projects while keeping to deadlines and managing time effectively;
- Good business communication and presentation skills;
- As a member of a small team, a flexible and “hands on” approach is a prerequisite;
- An active interest in investing in developing countries and understanding of emerging market environments, with a willingness to travel;
- Demonstrable alignment with CDC mandate, mission and values.
Our cultural values
We look for team members who aspire, as we do, to work at our best and to be:
- Impact-led, commercially rigorous
- Tenacious in the face of challenges
- Collaborative and caring
CDC is committed to diversity and inclusion and welcomes all applicants regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
Please provide a cover letter with your application
Role opened: 07/05/2020
Role closes: 07/06/2020