Executive, Business Integrity and Compliance
- Our mission is to support the building of businesses throughout Africa and South Asia, to create jobs and make a lasting difference to people’s lives in some of the world’s poorest places.
- We aim to invest in countries where we can have the greatest impact. In countries where the private sector is weak and jobs are scarce.
- We invest in sectors where growth leads to jobs – both directly and indirectly. In sectors such as manufacturing, agribusiness, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education. Last year, the businesses we invest in created more than a million jobs.
- We are successful because we are a high quality investment organisation, using the best commercial skills and judgement to make investments in great companies and support them to grow over the long term. We therefore want to attract people with these skills but who are motivated to use them to dramatically improve the private sector in Africa and South Asia
- For further information, please visit our website cdcgroup.com
- The Business Integrity and Compliance team plays an important role in reinforcing CDC’s reputation as a responsible investor; ensuring CDC meets its regulatory commitments with respect to the FCA, having systems and controls in place to counter the risk that CDC might be used to further financial crime and working to enhance private sector standards in financial crime management in our target geographies.
- The Compliance Executive will be focused on the effective management of regulatory compliance risk and the design, implementation and adherence to the compliance arrangements of CDC’s operations. In parallel, the Executive will promote the importance of business integrity both within and outside of CDC. In addition, the Executive may be required to provide support to the team’s Business Integrity functions.
- Handle FCA compliance matters arising from CDC’s operations including compiling any relevant regulatory returns and reports and submitting these via the Gabriel system.
- Ensure the effectiveness of current policies, procedures and controls by undertaking monitoring of selected areas in line with a compliance monitoring programme and assist with the ongoing enhancement of that monitoring.
- Assist in the drafting and updating of firm and group wide policies and procedures and deliver compliance training to the business, to include the annual AML, ABC and Compliance training programmes.
- Keep abreast of UK compliance requirements relevant to CDC’s operations as well as understanding the compliance obligations in the other countries in which CDC operates, and assist in responding to regulatory change where required.
- Develop the investment teams’ knowledge of compliance requirements by delivering tailored training and updates at team meetings.
- Assist in the preparation of MI reports on compliance and regulatory issues for senior management ahead of board and senior management meetings.
- Support in facilitating identification, assessment and mitigation of Compliance and Business Integrity risks, and manage the updates to the Compliance risk registers as required.
- Contribute to the maintenance of positive and professional relationships throughout the organisation, including CDC’s fund, debt, equity and other operational teams.
- Contribute to briefing notes and documents published as part of the team’s external communications programme.
- As and when required, undertake public record research on individual investment proposals as part of integrity due diligence as well as providing support to the Business Integrity team’s monitoring commitments to portfolio companies which may include helping prepare materials, collecting data and organising monitoring schedules.
- Detailed knowledge of FCA compliance requirements for UK regulated financial institutions, particularly in private equity, asset management or investment banking;
- 5 + years’ experience in managing compliance issues in a UK regulated financial institution, with at least two years in private equity, asset management or investment banking; Experience with an alternative investment fund manager would be advantageous.
- Demonstrated interest in emerging markets, especially CDC’s target geographies in Africa and South Asia;
- Interest in developing knowledge and experience in one or more of the team’s focus areas: anti-corruption, anti-money laundering and counter terrorist financing (AML/CFT);
- University degree and preferably a postgraduate qualification in a relevant discipline.
- Sound knowledge of the FCA handbook, in particular PRIN, SYSC, COCON, COND, APER, COBS, CASS, and MAR as they apply;
- Preferable experience in private equity, asset management, investment banking or alternative investment fund management;
- Knowledge of a range of compliance methodologies, tools and techniques;
- Preferable experience in managing compliance across offices in several different jurisdictions including emerging market jurisdictions;
- Existing thematic knowledge of integrity and compliance issues in CDC’s target geographies would be an advantage;
Desirable - Experience in at least one or more of the following:
- Financial Crime compliance, preferable in private equity or investment banking;
- Managing AML/CTF, sanctions or anti-corruption issues within the UK financial services sector.
- Research and investigations around financial crime issues;
- Systematic approach to work with an attention to detail;
- Ability to plan ahead and proactively address issues;
- Demonstrated ability to independently manage and prioritise a busy and diverse workload with a range of deliverables for a variety of stakeholders;
- Confident and articulate, with excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Highly motivated and results driven;
- Strong research and analytical skills;
- Good report writing ability;
- Enjoy working as part of a team and willing to collaborate and support the team on a variety of different initiatives and tasks.
- Competency in one or more languages relevant to CDC’s target geographies would also be an advantage.
- We look for candidates who share our culture and reflect our identity, the CDC identities are described as follows:
- Compassion is central to everything we do
- We owe our clients and prospective clients a fast and thoughtful process
- We accept the tough challenges inherent in our mission
- We are quick and non-defensive when things go wrong
- We oppose bureaucracy
- We never forget that we are investing and spending tax payers’ money
- We promote a fulfilling work environment
Please submit a cover-note with your application.
Posted on: 1st September 2017
Closing date: 30th September 2017