Head of Investment Operations
- CDC is the UK’s development finance institution. Established in 1948 we invest in the most challenging markets of Africa and Asia with the aim of supporting economic development.
- CDC has net assets of £6.4bn and a portfolio of £4.7 billion. In 2019 we committed over £1.66 billion of capital to business in Africa and Asia and are now invested in 1,200 businesses which directly employ over 875,000 workers and support many more.
- CDC is a Public Limited Company and is wholly owned on behalf of the UK government by the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO).
- In the last few years, we have expanded our presence in Africa and Asia by opening new offices in Bangladesh, Egypt, Kenya, Myanmar, Nepal, Nigeria and Pakistan with additional locations opening soon.
- At CDC, we take an entrepreneurial approach to investment. We think innovatively about ways to deploy our capital, attract and mobilise other investors, and drive transformational impact.
- Primarily, CDC invests through direct equity, direct debt and funds products to achieve impact and a financial return which is reinvested into more businesses. We aim to create jobs and accelerate economic prosperity and focus on sectors that will do this; manufacturing, food and agriculture, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education.
- CDC works with like-minded ambitious people who are primarily motivated by our mission to deliver impact. We are a growing team of over 485 and place immense value on diversity within our organisation.
- Read more about us on our website cdcgroup.com
Team and role overview
This role is to setup and lead a newly formed investment operation department within CDC; initially consisting of 4 x teams:
- Portfolio Administration
- Loan Administration
- Data Management
The new Investment Operations department will add value and risk management to CDC by creating a centre of excellence and efficiency by moving established functions and processes currently being managed in other areas of CDC into this new department as well as introducing new capabilities and functionality to support the business.
- Working within the framework of the approved business case shape the newly formed Investment Operations department to deliver a leading investment operations function; administration, funds operations & oversight, as well as the provision of high-quality wider client services necessary to support the CDC Group’s strategic objectives.
- Working alongside the IT team, ensure that CDC’s portfolio management platform, eFront and other systems are implemented and developed to ensure Investment Operations supports business requirements.
- Assist in the recruitment of the new teams, provide leadership, strategic direction and management that ensures a high quality of service
- Identify and mitigate operational business risks by working closely with key internal stakeholders, ensuring ongoing compliance with regulatory obligations.
- Sponsor/ lead/ contribute to a wide range of projects as necessary dependent on regulatory and/ or business needs.
- Act as CDC’s subject matter expert in respect of investment management operations & administration, funds administration & oversight, working collaboratively both internally and externally as necessary.
- Develop high performing teams (and service) through the implementation of robust performance management, including the development of defined responsibilities, accountabilities and controls framework across the function utilising the internal L&D capability whilst building a culture of empowerment.
- Work collaboratively across investment, impact and support functions to develop and maintain a first-class investment operations service.
Background, skills, aptitude
- Extensive experience in a senior role leading Investment Operations teams in an established financial services organisation (Investment Manager / Private Equity / Investment Banking)
- Experience of implementing a best in class organisational structure
- Experience in building a newly formed team’s culture
- Demonstrable experience of driving high performance individuals, teams and business functions
- Strong knowledge of financial services / investment products and services, securities processing and information technology required
- Proven and strong abilities in the areas of problem solving, planning, time management, decision making, consulting, negotiation, mentoring and project management
- Demonstrable experience of cross functional influence
- Effective communicator across all levels of seniority and business areas
- Candidates should be strongly motivated by CDC’s development mission and ideally demonstrate some commitment to development or social goals through previous executive or non-executive activity.
Our cultural values
We look for team members who aspire, as we do, to work at our best and to be:
- Impact-led, commercially rigorous
- Tenacious in the face of challenges
- Collaborative and caring
CDC is committed to diversity and inclusion and welcomes all applicants regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation or educational background.
Please provide a cover letter with your application