Investment Director, Equity - Forestry and Wood-processing
- CDC is the UK’s development finance institution. Founded 70 years ago, we invest in the most challenging markets of Africa and South Asia with the aim of supporting economic development. CDC has net assets of £5.1bn, with over 1300 growing businesses in the portfolio.
- Last year we committed over £1billion of capital across 50 transactions.
- CDC is wholly owned by the UK government, who has committed a further £3.5bn of capital for CDC to deploy over the next two to three years.
- We are expanding our presence in Africa and South Asia with further new offices openings in 2020.
- At CDC, we take an entrepreneurial approach to investment. We think innovatively about ways to deploy our capital, attract and mobilise other investors, and drive transformational impact.
- Primarily, CDC invests to achieve impact and a financial return which is reinvested into more businesses. We aim to create jobs and accelerate economic prosperity and focus on sectors that will do this; manufacturing, food and agriculture, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education.
- CDC works with like-minded ambitious people who are primarily motivated by our mission to deliver impact. We are a growing team of over 400 and place immense value on diversity within our organisation.
- Read more about us on our website cdcgroup.com
- The Food & Agriculture Group is responsible for equity investments in the value chain including agri-inputs, food and non-food agriculture (including forestry) and all associated primary processing activities, as well as secondary food processing and food retail
- Our typical equity investment is $20-200m of growth capital for the expansion of profitable companies with high quality management, although we do invest in exceptional earlier stage companies
- Our investments are purely in Africa and South Asia, and we have a particular focus on businesses that are in or expanding to the poorer parts of those geographies as well as businesses with the potential for substantial job creation
- The Food & Agriculture Group currently has 11 investment professionals in London and benefit from the support of 3 professionals in India. The group manages a portfolio of c.$150m in 7 companies. Examples include:
- Miro - A forestry venture in Ghana and Sierra Leone, which ultimately will expand into 30,000ha of planted forests and associated processing facilities
- Zambeef - the leading Zambian integrated agrobusiness involved in row crop farming, animal feed, dairy and meat production, and food retail
- Jacoma – a 1,000ha macadamia nut plantation in Malawi
- KEL Food – the leading integrated egg producer in Malawi
The Group is looking for an experienced investment professional to:
- Origination - Develop and implement an origination strategy for CDC’s equity investments in the forestry and wood-processing sectors across Africa and South Asia
- Execution - Lead deal teams to analyse and evaluate new investments, mostly in the forestry and wood-processing sector, including comprehensive legal, financial and commercial due diligence, with lead responsibility for preparing recommendations to CDC’s
- Portfolio management - Actively engage with the relevant portfolio companies in the forestry and wood-processing sector, in order to drive and manage performance of the investments from a commercial, developmental and ESG perspective, preparing for follow-on investments or exits
- Team development - Working with the Head of the Food & Agriculture Group, contribute to the overall development of CDC’s Food & Agriculture private equity business, including helping to manage and develop a team of high-quality investment professionals
- The successful candidate will likely have at least 15 years relevant work experience including extensive forestry and wood-processing investment experience preferably in emerging markets, ideally across Africa and or South Asia
- Investment experience in the broader agriculture and agribusiness sector or/and operational experience in forestry and wood-processing a plus
- Direct/principal investment experience as deal lead required
- Interest in development finance/impact investing
- Language skills (Portuguese, French) an advantage
Capabilities we will be assessing:
- Capability and hunger to make things happen, including in origination
- Commercial judgment and ability to assess risk and opportunity in potential investments
- Ability to build strong and deep relationships with entrepreneurs and management teams
- Credibility representing CDC
- Ability and desire to integrate in a team and coach and develop others
- Ability to look at complex problems and get to the root of the issue
- Ability to influence and communicate clearly on paper and in person
- Ability to work to deadlines and manage multiple projects effectively
Candidates should be strongly motivated by CDC’s development mission and ideally demonstrate some commitment to development or social goals through previous executive or non-executive activity.
- Impact-led, commercially rigorous
- Tenacious in the face of challenges
- Collaborative and caring
CDC is committed to diversity and inclusion and welcomes all applicants regardless of gender, age, educational background, national origin, ethnic origin, disability, sexual orientation and religion.
Please provide a cover letter with your application
Role opened: 31/07/2020
Role closes: 30/08/2020