Business Integrity Executive (Financial Services) (6 months FTC)
- CDC is the UK’s development finance institution. Established in 1948 we invest in the most challenging markets of Africa and Asia with the aim of supporting economic development.
- CDC has net assets of £6.4bn and a portfolio of £4.7 billion. In 2019 we committed over £1.66 billion of capital to business in Africa and Asia and are now invested in 1,200 businesses which directly employ over 875,000 workers and support many more.
- CDC is a Public Limited Company and is wholly owned on behalf of the UK government by the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO).
- In the last few years, we have expanded our presence in Africa and Asia by opening new offices in Bangladesh, Egypt, Kenya, Myanmar, Nepal, Nigeria and Pakistan with additional locations opening soon.
- At CDC, we take an entrepreneurial approach to investment. We think innovatively about ways to deploy our capital, attract and mobilise other investors, and drive transformational impact.
- Primarily, CDC invests through direct equity, direct debt and funds products to achieve impact and a financial return which is reinvested into more businesses. We aim to create jobs and accelerate economic prosperity and focus on sectors that will do this; manufacturing, food and agriculture, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education.
- CDC works with like-minded ambitious people who are primarily motivated by our mission to deliver impact. We are a growing team of over 485 and place immense value on diversity within our organisation.
- Read more about us on our website cdcgroup.com
Business Integrity Team and role overview
CDC’s Business Integrity (BI) team plays an important role in reinforcing CDC’s reputation as a responsible investor and ensuring CDC meets its regulatory commitments with respect to the FCA. We do this by identifying and managing integrity risks in CDC’s investment pipeline and portfolio and working to enhance private sector integrity risk management standards in our target geographies. We believe that BI risk management that is aligned with best practice can have a developmental effect by enhancing a company’s governance and reputation, improving internal controls and resilience, and ultimately helping it seek commercial backing. Robust business integrity practices help mitigate regulatory, operational and reputational risks, and protect companies from fines and jail time that can result from unethical behaviour. Our work is critical to safeguarding CDC's license to operate and reputation and meeting the CDC Board's low risk appetite for integrity risk.
Purpose of this role
CDC is looking to hire a Business Integrity Executive on a six-month full-time contract. The Executive will support CDC’s Financial Services Group investment team in assessing and mitigating integrity risks in the pipeline and portfolio stages of CDC’s investments as well as meeting CDC’s financial crime regulatory obligations. The Executive will also proactively monitor CDC’s Financial Services portfolio investments, engaging with investees to strengthen their capacity to mitigate integrity risks in their operations.
- Lead on integrity due diligence for individual investments, providing written and oral analysis of the business integrity risks to investment teams and senior management, with a focus on financial services;
- Undertake business integrity related research and due diligence for pipeline investment opportunities and engage with external consultants where required;
- Monitor for integrity issues in specific parts of our investment portfolio, managing relationships with portfolio companies or funds;
- Provide integrity-focused capacity building to investees, such as advice and support on managing financial crime issues (e.g. bribery & corruption, sanctions);
- Ensure that identified risks are reported, monitored and where necessary escalated to the BI Manager and/or BI Director or Compliance
- Foster strong and effective relationships with CDC’s investment teams, as well as other operational teams;
- Support in the development of anti-corruption, anti-money laundering and/or counter terrorism-financing, sanctions compliance and anti-fraud controls to help improve business integrity outcomes;
- Support the strengthening of CDC’s internal business integrity policies and procedures for assessing pipeline and portfolio integrity risks;
- Identify, communicate and promote best practices in dealing with Business Integrity issues, both internally and externally, such as through training and awareness sessions
- Support the Business Integrity team with information management and record-keeping as per internal procedural requirements
- Further develop country-, product- and sector-specific expertise on relevant integrity risks to the investment portfolio to support CDC’s risk management approach, particularly n Finacial Services
- Build and maintain a network of external contacts/stakeholders relevant to enhancing the BI team’s knowledge, effectiveness and impact
- Significant experience in identifying, assessing and addressing financial crime and integrity risks, preferably within private equity or investment banking, and involving clients in emerging markets, ideally in CDC’s target geographies in Africa and/or South Asia and with a focus on financial institutions.
- Experience in conducting financial crime focused research / due diligence, both remotely and onsite;
- Extensive knowledge of, and experience with, aspects of the UK regulatory requirements on anti-money laundering and counter terrorism financing (AML/CFT), and/or anti-bribery and corruption;
- Experience in the development and delivery of financial crime prevention solutions in a wide range of scenarios;
- Experience of developing and managing client relationships;
- Experience in developing and evaluating financial crime compliance programmes and risk assessment frameworks, ideally focussing on financial institutions;
- University degree and preferably a postgraduate qualification in a relevant discipline;
- In-depth knowledge of CDC’s target geographies and/or priority sectors of investment;
- Experience developing and delivering BI-focused training sessions and related materials;
- Experience of working in the financial services sector, private equity, credit funds
- Experience of trade finance and/or supply-chain finance produsts;
- Detailed knowledge of international regulation/guidance and technical controls in anti-money laundering, anti-corruption, counter terrorism financing, sanctions, and/or fraud prevention;
- Experience in at least one or more of the following:
- managing fraud and/or sanctions issues
- conducting and managing investigations of financial crime matters such as onboarding diligence, ongoing monitoring and/or investigations.
- developing anti-corruption solutions and/or applying adequate procedures in line with the UK Bribery Act;
- Knowledge of legal and regulatory regimes relevant to financial crime compliance in CDC’s target geographies;
- Competency in one or more languages relevant to CDC’s target geographies would also be an advantage.
Personal and Professional Competencies:
The successful candidate is likely to have several of the following attributes:
- Systematic approach to work with a keen attention to detail;
- Proactive and clear ability to look and plan ahead;
- Demonstrated ability to independently manage and prioritise a busy and diverse workload with a range of deliverables for a variety of stakeholders;
- Confident and articulate, with excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong team player who enjoys working as part of a close team and willing to collaborate and support the team on a variety of different initiatives and tasks;
- Candidates should be strongly motivated by CDC’s development mission and ideally demonstrate some commitment to development or social goals through previous executive or non-executive activity.
Our cultural values
We look for team members who aspire, as we do, to work at our best and to be:
- Impact-led, commercially rigorous
- Tenacious in the face of challenges
- Collaborative and caring
CDC is committed to diversity and inclusion and welcomes all applicants regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation or educational background.
Please provide a cover letter with your application