Finance Business Partner – CDC Plus
- CDC is the UK’s development finance institution. Founded 70 years ago, we invest in the most challenging markets of Africa and South Asia with the aim of supporting economic development. CDC has net assets of £5.1bn, with over 1300 growing businesses in the portfolio.
- Last year we committed over £1billion of capital across 50 transactions.
- CDC is wholly owned by the UK government, who has committed a further £3.5bn of capital for CDC to deploy over the next two to three years.
- We are expanding our presence in Africa and South Asia with further new offices openings in 2020.
- At CDC, we take an entrepreneurial approach to investment. We think innovatively about ways to deploy our capital, attract and mobilise other investors, and drive transformational impact.
- Primarily, CDC invests to achieve impact and a financial return which is reinvested into more businesses. We aim to create jobs and accelerate economic prosperity and focus on sectors that will do this; manufacturing, food and agriculture, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education.
- CDC works with like-minded ambitious people who are primarily motivated by our mission to deliver impact. We are a growing team of over 400 and place immense value on diversity within our organisation.
- Read more about us on our website cdcgroup.com
Team and role overview
The CDC Plus team (previously known as the Technical Assistance facility) manages a pool of resources from DFID for technical assistance projects within our portfolio or at the market level. The team specialises in operationalising value creation projects by supporting teams to identify, design and implement new initiatives, as well as working with external partners to incubate ideas and facilitate larger thematic programmes.
This job description relates to the duties, tasks and responsibilities of a Finance Executive working as part of this team. The duties, tasks and responsibilities will vary to some extent depending on the portfolio of opportunities that arise and will, of necessity, remain flexible as strategies evolve.
To provide financial management capacity to the growing portfolio of CDC Plus funded projects. An exciting opportunity to work with the CDC Plus team to oversee CDC Plus finances, in order to ensure smooth implementation of CDC Plus initiatives.
- Support the CDC Plus team to provide effective budget oversight of the portfolio of CDC-funded projects and programmes and support the finance team to process CDC Plus payments and recoveries from DFID.
- Support to CDC Plus team on effective and efficient financial management of portfolio
- Support in key financial management functions such as budgets, forecasts and processing invoices
- Maintain a tracker and dashboard of CDC Plus funded initiatives, including spend and forecasting
- Ensure cost verification is carried out against all invoices in line with CDC Plus SOPs
- Liaise with DFID to provide quarterly forecasts and prepare quarterly invoices
- Maintain and update SOPs for CDC Plus that relate to budgeting, forecasting and cost verification
- Provide support to auditors (internal/external) and assist CDC Plus in implementing recommendations
- Identify opportunities and drive projects to improve CDC Plus’ financial management
- Build the team’s capacity and systems of CDC Plus to implement best-in-class financial management systems for grant capital
- Finance Executive will work with both the CDC Plus team and the Finance team, reporting to the Group Financial Controller.
- Must be a qualified accountant
- Passionate about working through the private sector to have sustainable impact
- Suitable experience managing the finance and administration of grants, working with grant funded programmes, ideally funded via UK Aid / DFID
- Experience with recoverable grants, development impact bonds or other innovative financing structures desirable
- Financial management experience, particularly with regards to budgeting and forecasting
- Relevant degree (Finance, Accounting, Business, Economics, International Development or related degree) or equivalent industry experience
- A well organised individual with an eye for detail, combined with a flexible, adaptable mindset
- Able to think and work independently with creative problem solving and the ability to adapt when necessary
- Demonstratable ability to build and develop working relationships, working collaboratively with diverse groups of people
- Able to demonstrate ability to take ownership & accountability for their actions and decisions and show initiative in solving problems, sustaining effort to deliver the best outcome
Our cultural values
We look for team members who aspire, as we do, to work at our best and to be:
- Impact-led, commercially rigorous
- Tenacious in the face of challenges
- Collaborative and caring
CDC is committed to diversity and inclusion and welcomes all applicants regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
Please include a cover letter with your application
Role opened: 28 July 2020
Role closes: 27 August 2020