Investment Executive, FI Debt and Trade Finance (Debt Team)
- Our mission is to support the building of businesses throughout Africa and South Asia, to create jobs and make a lasting difference to people’s lives in some of the world’s poorest places.
- We aim to invest in countries where we can have the greatest impact. In countries where the private sector is weak and jobs are scarce.
- We invest in sectors where growth leads to jobs – both directly and indirectly. In sectors such as manufacturing, agribusiness, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education. Last year, the businesses we invest in created more than a million jobs.
- We are successful because we are a high quality investment organisation, using the best commercial skills and judgement to make investments in great companies and support them to grow over the long term. We therefore want to attract people with these skills but who are motivated to use them to dramatically improve the private sector in Africa and South Asia
- For further information, please visit our website cdcgroup.com
The role would be focussed on FI Debt (ranging from guarantees and senior loans to tier II capital) and Trade Finance transactions (funded and unfunded MRPAs, funded trade lines to FIs, structured trade transactions, trade finance funds etc.).
An experienced Executive will be capable of:
- Analysing new debt investment propositions and contributing to the structuring of the transaction; preparing and presenting screening and credit papers, as well as preparing and presenting monitoring papers
- Completing discrete due diligence tasks such as company, industry and economic analysis
- Reviewing legal documentation together with the internal legal team.
- Supporting senior members of the team working on new debt investment proposals.
- The Executive will be responsible for analysis, including: sector / market analysis; company / borrower analysis (including credit analysis financials and financial modelling); macro-economic analysis.
- The Executive will perform all aspects of credit assessment and due diligence as part of a deal team, identify transactions risks and how these can be mitigated, and will take responsibility for deal completion related work.
- Supporting role on the portfolio of existing loans.
- Responsibilities include, in respect of specific existing loans: reviewing company reports, monitoring compliance with covenants, flagging any potential credit issues, preparing and presenting monitoring papers for review by CDC’s investment committee.
Research and strategy:
- Contributing to sector/country strategies; collecting market data and other research activities relevant to CDC debt investments.
- Keeping up-to-date deal-flow, deal management and portfolio monitoring databases for all transactions covered by the debt team.
- Supporting the identification of new debt investments by developing/maintaining a network of relevant contacts, including with other development finance institutions, commercial banks, advisors, etc.
- Proven experience within an international financial environment, ideally gained within a DFI, with some experience in FI Debt and Trade Finance transactions.
- University degree with Masters in Finance, Economics, Corporate Finance, or accounting degree. CFA, ACA or MBA would be an additional advantage
- Analytical, valuation and research skills (including the ability to analyse company reports, sector data, economics and relevant political events);
- Credit analysis skills and ability to analyse a Company’s financial statements and make commercial assessments;
- Financial modelling and excel skills;
- Ability to work on multiple opportunities across products and sectors while working to deadlines and managing time effectively;
- Good business communication and presentation skills;
- Evidence of relationship building and ability to develop a network of relevant external contacts, as well as internally across different teams;
- As a member of a small team, a flexible and “hands on” approach is a prerequisite;
- Foreign language skills, particularly those spoken in CDC’s geographies (e.g. French, Portuguese etc.) would be an additional advantage;
- An active interest in investing in developing countries and understanding of emerging market environments, with a willingness to travel;
- Demonstrable alignment with CDC mandate, mission and values.
- Commercial insight into the challenges and issues that businesses face
Candidate generic values/ traits
Candidates must be strongly motivated by CDC’s proposition. This requires:
- An awareness of and appreciation for CDC’s objectives
- Some evidence of these values is useful (E.g., volunteering, career changes due to changing motivations)
- An appreciation of CDC’s activities and a passion to be part of CDC’s continued growth;
- History of working with 'best in class' employers in their respective fields
- Appropriate periods with each previous employer and explicable career moves
- The flexibility and desire to spend time in the countries in which CDC invests
- An understanding of the remuneration and its structure, with the trade-offs it requires
- Willingness to take time to support colleagues
We look for candidates who share our culture and reflect our identity, the CDC identities are described as follows:
- Compassion is central to everything we do
- We owe our clients and prospective clients a fast and thoughtful process
- We accept the tough challenges inherent in our mission
- We are quick and non-defensive when things go wrong
- We oppose bureaucracy
- We never forget that we are investing and spending tax payers’ money
We promote a fulfilling work environment
Posted on: 5th May 2017
Closing date: 3rd June 2017