Associate - Investments, Development Impact
- Our mission is to support the building of businesses throughout Africa and South Asia, to create jobs and make a lasting difference to people’s lives in some of the world’s poorest places.
- We aim to invest in countries where we can have the greatest impact. In countries where the private sector is weak and jobs are scarce.
- We invest in sectors where growth leads to jobs – both directly and indirectly. In sectors such as manufacturing, agribusiness, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education. Last year, the businesses we invest in created more than a million jobs.
- We are successful because we are a high quality investment organisation, using the best commercial skills and judgement to make investments in great companies and support them to grow over the long term. We therefore want to attract people with these skills but who are motivated to use them to dramatically improve the private sector in Africa and South Asia
- For further information, please visit our website cdcgroup.com
CDC’s Development Impact (DI) team provides technical leadership as we screen, manage and evaluate the development impact of the investments we make. As part of its new five year strategy CDC will push the boundaries in thinking through how to select the right investments, assess, measure and communicate their impact and better understand what works in private sector development.
The role will be embedded in the Consumer Businesses investment team to provide development impact expertise in health, education, retail and agriculture. The Associate will track our progress against development impact objectives from origination to exit, and support impact management for our direct and debt investments. This role will require travel to Asia and Africa, for example to undertake due diligence visits
- Work on investments from origination to exit, providing development expertise for the investment team and investee as needed.
- This includes:
- Coordinating the development impact cases for prospective investments through the Investment Committee process, which will involve desk research, facilitating discussions, and due diligence where necessary.
- Timely collection of DI metrics for the main portfolio of investments together with the investment team
- Analysing over time how investments are performing against their initial development thesis, feeding back learning to the investment team and the broader organisation
- Develop case studies and support evaluation studies relevant to the consumer businesses sector (in coordination with the broader DI team).
- Work with portfolio companies to identify areas to enhance and maximize their impact
- Input into sector and sub-sector strategies providing insights from a DI perspective.
- Work with the Communications Team to communicate impact and share lessons learned to internal and external audiences.
- Assist in CDC’s efforts to provide thought leadership around private investment in healthcare and education (i.e. through the CDC/Imperial Healthcare Framework)
- Two to six years’ work experience, preferably within the development sector, management consulting or the investment industry. The candidate’s experience should ideally reflect a good grounding in measuring and communicating development impact with a private sector mindset combined with some ‘financial literacy’.
- Experience in emerging markets and developing economies in Africa and/or South Asia
- Strong academic background in science, business or humanities (i.e economics, development, history, international relations)
- Strong communication skills – the ability to describe development impact scenarios with accuracy and concision; and the ability to explain development impact to non-professionals.
- Strong understanding of underlying commercial strategies and ability to consider development impact in a lean and pragmatic manner that is additive to the companies’ business objectives.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Confident managing data and collating and presenting evidence
- Experience in the impact investing sector
- Sector experience in health, agriculture, education or commerce
- Financial literacy across debt and equity investments
- Advanced degree (MBA, MA, MPP)
- We look for candidates who share our culture and reflect our identity, the CDC identities are described as follows:
- Compassion is central to everything we do
- We owe our clients and prospective clients a fast and thoughtful process
- We accept the tough challenges inherent in our mission
- We are quick and non-defensive when things go wrong
- We oppose bureaucracy
- We never forget that we are investing and spending tax payers’ money
- We promote a fulfilling work environment
Please submit a cover note with your application.
Posted on 11 January 2018
Closing on 10 February 2018