Investment Executive, Project Finance (Debt Team)
- Our mission is to support the building of businesses throughout Africa and South Asia, to create jobs and make a lasting difference to people’s lives in some of the world’s poorest places.
- We aim to invest in countries where we can have the greatest impact. In countries where the private sector is weak and jobs are scarce.
- We invest in sectors where growth leads to jobs – both directly and indirectly. In sectors such as manufacturing, agribusiness, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education. Last year, the businesses we invest in created more than a million jobs.
- We are successful because we are a high quality investment organisation, using the best commercial skills and judgement to make investments in great companies and support them to grow over the long term. We therefore want to attract people with these skills but who are motivated to use them to dramatically improve the private sector in Africa and South Asia
- For further information, please visit our website cdcgroup.com
The focus of the role is on project finance transactions in infrastructure (power, transportation, telecoms, water) and to a lesser degree in mining, in Africa and South Asia.
Project Finance transactions will range from senior loans, guarantees and to mezzanine finance
An experienced Executive will be capable of:
- Analysing new debt investment propositions and contributing to the structuring of the transaction; preparing and presenting screening and final credit papers for new investments, as well as preparing and presenting monitoring papers for existing investments.
- Completing discrete due diligence tasks such as company, industry, sector, and economic analysis
- Analyzing financial models, including detailed analysis of input assumptions, outputs and conducting sensitivity analysis.
- Reviewing legal documentation together with the internal legal
- Managing external due diligence work streams, such as model audit, technical, environmental & social and insurance due diligence.
- Supporting senior members of the team working on new debt investment
- The Executive will support senior team members in the negotiations of finance and project documents.
- The Executive will be responsible for analysis, including: sector / market analysis; company / borrower analysis (including credit analysis financials and financial modelling); macro- economic
- The Executive will perform all aspects of credit assessment and due diligence as part of a deal team, identify transactions risks and how these can be mitigated, and will take responsibility for deal completion related work, including conditions precedent.
- Supporting role on the portfolio of existing loans, and supervising more junior staff where required
- Responsibilities include, in respect of specific existing loans: reviewing company reports, monitoring compliance with covenants, flagging any potential credit issues, preparing and presenting monitoring papers for review by CDC’s investment
Research and strategy:
- Contributing to sector/country strategies; collecting market data and other research activities relevant to CDC debt
- Keeping up-to-date deal-flow, deal management and portfolio monitoring databases for all transactions covered by the debt
- Supporting the identification of new debt investments by developing/maintaining a network of relevant contacts, including with other development finance institutions,
- At least five years of relevant experience within an international financial environment, preferably in corporate/investment banking or a DFI, with some experience in project finance transactions in infrastructure (power, transportation, telecoms, water) and to a lesser degree in
- University degree with Masters in Finance, Economics, Corporate Finance, or accounting degree. CFA, ACA or MBA would be an additional advantage
- Ability to analyse a Company’s financial statements and make commercial assessments
- Excel modeling
- Ability to work on multiple opportunities across products and sectors
- Basic commercial insight into the challenges and issues that limited recourse businesses face
- Understanding of emerging market environments
- Evidence of relationship building and ability to develop a network of relevant external contacts, as well as internally across different teams
- Good credit analysis and financial modelling skills
- Analytical, research and valuation skills, including the ability to analyse, sector data, economics and relevant political events
- Good business communication and presentation skills
- As a member of a small team, a flexible and “hands on” approach is a prerequisite
- Foreign language skills, particularly French, would be an additional advantage
- Ability to work to deadlines and manage time effectively
- An active interest in investing in developing countries, with a willingness to travel
- Demonstrable alignment with CDC mandate, mission and values
- We look for candidates who share our culture and reflect our identity, the CDC identities are described as follows:
- Compassion is central to everything we do
- We owe our clients and prospective clients a fast and thoughtful process
- We accept the tough challenges inherent in our mission
- We are quick and non-defensive when things go wrong
- We oppose bureaucracy
- We never forget that we are investing and spending tax payers’ money
- We promote a fulfilling work environment
Posting date: 11th May 2017
Closing date: 9th June 2017