Investment Associate, Equity (Manufacturing) Investments
- CDC is the UK’s development finance institution. Founded 70 years ago, we invest in the most challenging markets of Africa and South Asia with the aim of supporting economic development. CDC has net assets of £5.1bn, with over 1300 growing businesses in the portfolio.
- Last year we committed over £1billion of capital across 50 transactions.
- CDC is wholly owned by the UK government, who has committed a further £3.5bn of capital for CDC to deploy over the next two to three years.
- We are expanding our presence in Africa and South Asia with further new offices openings in 2019.
- At CDC, we take an entrepreneurial approach to investment. We think innovatively about ways to deploy our capital, attract and mobilise other investors, and drive transformational impact.
- Primarily, CDC invests to achieve impact and a financial return which is reinvested into more businesses. We aim to create jobs and accelerate economic prosperity and focus on sectors that will do this; manufacturing, food and agriculture, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education.
- CDC works with like-minded ambitious people who are primarily motivated by our mission to deliver impact. We are a growing team of over 380 and place immense value on diversity within our organisation.
- Read more about us on our website cdcgroup.com
Team & Role Overview
The Equity Investments Group at CDC exists to employ commercial equity capital whilst also having a strong developmental impact. Over the last three years, the teams have deployed $1bn+ across Africa and South Asia with a strong pipeline of additional investment opportunity. The Manufacturing team targets a wide range of sub-sectors with a strategic focus on import substitution and export-led industries, whilst actively pursuing innovative solutions and environmental best practices.
The Associate’s primary role is to support the senior members of the Manufacturing Equity deal team. This will include assisting with:
Evaluating new investment proposals or potential target businesses, including conducting financial analysis, valuation exercises, financial modelling, etc.
- Having responsibility for aspects of the deal processes including working on commercial, financial, tax and legal due diligence, typically alongside advisors
- Undertaking research into specific sectors and countries that fit within the investment mandate in order to develop sub-sector strategies
- Supporting the post-deal management of the investment portfolio
- Maintaining the deal pipeline and filtering potential opportunities
- Preparation of valuation and presentation materials for investment committees
Evaluation of new investment proposals:
- Initial filtering of investment proposals for deals that fit within CDC’s developmental and investment mandate
- Analysing financial information relating to specific companies
- Building or analysing financial models and conducting sensitivity analysis
- Assisting with reports to be presented to the Investment Committee for approval and participating in the meetings
- Conducting a detailed valuation on a company using various methods
- Assisting with the due diligence on a specific company, sector, and country
- Undertaking research into regions, countries and specific sectors on an ad-hoc basis. This will include providing support to sector mapping exercises
- Undertaking research in to specific businesses or projects including traveling to meet management teams and advisers
- Keeping up to date with market developments and monitoring factors that can affect the markets and considering how these might affect the pipeline and portfolio companies
- Monitoring the financial news and updating the team of material information in the target countries, sector and companies
- Preparing periodic reports and working with the deal teams to help in the monitoring of investees’ financial and strategic performance, including compliance with CDC’s Environment, Social and Governance requirements
Candidates must be strongly motivated by CDC’s proposition. This requires:
- An awareness of and appreciation for CDC’s objectives
- An appreciation of what CDC is doing and a real desire and passion to be part of CDC’s next phase of development
- History of working with 'best in class' employers in their respective fields
- Appropriate periods with each previous employer and explicable career moves
- The flexibility and desire to spend time in the countries in which CDC invests
- An understanding of the remuneration and its structure, with the trade-offs it requires and a level-headed degree of long-term comfort with it
- University degree or equivalent
- At least 2-3 years’ relevant business experience within investment banking, consulting or private equity
- Exposure to emerging market finance, especially in Africa and Asia, is helpful
- Experience within the industrials or manufacturing sectors is a plus
- Analytical, research and valuation skills, including the ability to analyse company reports, sector data, economics and relevant political events.
- Report writing and advanced knowledge of Excel is imperative
- Good business communication and presentation skills
- Ability to work to deadlines and manage time effectively
- An active interest in investing in developing countries
- Ability to analyse a company’s financial statements and to make commercial assessments based on this analysis
- Basic commercial insight into the challenges and issues that businesses face
- Strong excel modelling skills
- Experience in valuation techniques
- Understanding of emerging market environments
- Ability to build relationships within and across teams and externally
Our cultural values
We look for team members who aspire, as we do, to work at our best and to be:
- Impact-led, commercially rigorous
- Tenacious in the face of challenges
- Collaborative and caring
CDC is committed to diversity and inclusion and welcomes all applicants regardless of gender, age, educational background, national origin, ethnic origin, disability, sexual orientation and religion.
Please provide a cover letter with your application
Role opened: 30/07/2019
Role closes: 28/08/2019