Internal Communications Officer
- CDC is the UK’s development finance institution. Established in 1948 we invest in the most challenging markets of Africa and Asia with the aim of supporting economic development.
- CDC has net assets of £6.4bn and a portfolio of £4.7 billion. In 2019 we committed over £1.66 billion of capital to business in Africa and Asia and are now invested in 1,200 businesses which directly employ over 875,000 workers and support many more.
- CDC is a Public Limited Company and is wholly owned on behalf of the UK government by the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO).
- In the last few years, we have expanded our presence in Africa and Asia by opening new offices in Bangladesh, Egypt, Kenya, Myanmar, Nepal, Nigeria and Pakistan with additional locations opening soon.
- At CDC, we take an entrepreneurial approach to investment. We think innovatively about ways to deploy our capital, attract and mobilise other investors, and drive transformational impact.
- Primarily, CDC invests through direct equity, direct debt and funds products to achieve impact and a financial return which is reinvested into more businesses. We aim to create jobs and accelerate economic prosperity and focus on sectors that will do this; manufacturing, food and agriculture, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education.
- CDC works with like-minded ambitious people who are primarily motivated by our mission to deliver impact. We are a growing team of over 485 and place immense value on diversity within our organisation.
- Read more about us on our website cdcgroup.com
Team and role overview
The Internal Communications team at CDC is responsible for leading the strategy to enhance the employee experience and foster a strong unified culture of just over 500 employees, located in 10 different countries. This function, which sits within the Communications team (of 19), develops and implements campaigns and programmes that inspire our employees around our mission and helps them understand the vision of senior leadership, our corporate objectives, policies and processes, including by fostering the sharing of success stories and building a community, both internally and with our alumni network.
The workload is split between the two internal communications team members (the Head of Internal Engagement and this role). The two roles work closely together to form a holistic and consultant-style approach that supports the business on employee communication and best practice engagement. The Head of Internal Engagement supports senior leaders in developing and delivering their messaging around our mandate and their vision, and driving the key strategic aims as related to company culture and corporate strategy. The ICO supports communications and messaging with partners across the business. Working with the Cross-Content Working Group (which includes external communications, Global Affairs and PR/Media counterparts) the ICO is involved in building a storyteller’s network with the investment and impact teams and creating internal campaigns and content. The role also works closely with the HR team to support communications around the employee experience.
- Reporting to the Head of Internal Engagement (who is also the Head of Network for our alumni), this role supports our employee engagement to build an internal community and an alumni network that is informed, up-to-date with the latest company news and feels valued.
- A key part of this role will be to foster a positive employee experience by helping to champion and embed our values in various internal communications as well as inform and inspire employees with stories of CDC’s mission and impact by collaborating with the External Communications, PR, and Media teams.
- This role is designed to bridge communications work across current employees and our rich alumni network, Connected (announced in 2018 as part of CDC’s 70th anniversary celebrations).
- The network was launched in recognition of the fact that employees’ impact, like that of our investments, can be long-term and that maintaining mutual relationships can:
- build our brand and EVP
- create a CDC community and;
- support us in the delivery of our mandate
Internal communications focus
- Work with Head of Internal Engagement/Network to deliver internal messages, campaigns and celebrate our impact stories effectively. This will include internal launches of corporate announcements and major external initiatives as well as internal events.
- Use internal communications to help shape an internal culture where employees feel supported and valued.
- Partner with HR to inform staff about policies and processes and to ensure that employee communications are executed in a way that enhance the employee experience through inspiring narratives and recognition of teams’ work. This also includes providing communications support on high profile people initiatives including EVP and Culture/Values.
- Work across the communications team as part of our Cross-Content Working Group to help bring internal stories to a wider audience and bring externally focussed content internal.
- Measure the success of internal communications and identify areas for improvement, and new channels and approaches to use.
- Manage our internal comms channels (including intranet news site and all staff email) and maintain the internal communications calendar, providing advice on timing for corporate messaging to all internal stakeholders.
- Partner closely with Impact and Investment teams to deliver their internal newsletters, advising on content and form to align with corporate priorities.
- Manage and implement communications plans and frameworks to help shape internal culture and aid collaboration. This includes creating content and providing templates for teams to develop their own.
- Support on high profile internal events, including Town Halls and Chairperson’s address. And work with Events and Conferencing Lead and Internal Event Liaisons (IELs) to deliver other events for staff.
- Work closely with the Head of Internal Engagement/Network to plan, promote and implement Connected network activity and messaging including updates via the Connected portal, the annual newsletter, annual event, and other relevant communications.
- Establish and develop strong relationships with a wide range of current CDC staff and alumni and explore ways that the alumni can help with the execution of our mandate (e.g. understand how we can tap into their expertise and networks.
- Run the Connected Steering Group with support from Head of Network, including planning meetings, taking minutes, project tracking and providing regular updates
- Help build and maintain our alumni platform, ensuring there is up to date content from the business included.
- Undertake any other projects as required by the Head of Internal Engagement/Network.
- Ideal candidate will have suitable Internal Communications experience gain from a mid-large corporate environment
- Educated to degree level (or equivalent) or demonstrable professional experience
- Excellent time management and organisation skills
- Meticulous planner with exceptional attention to detail and an eye for accuracy
- Experience of partnering with HR or knowledge of HR processes preferred
- Proven track record of working successfully across functions and/or businesses
- Ability to develop and evaluate communications plans and campaigns for a range of internal audiences
- Project management
- Ability to prioritise and work to deadlines
- Interpersonal and relationship-building skills, ability to work with colleagues across all teams and levels
- Data handling
- Social media savvy
- Skilled in all Microsoft packages, particularly SharePoint
- Intranet management, templates and tools
- Excellent writing, proofreading and editing skills
- CRM / digital marketing tools (e.g. MailChimp)
- Confidence, energy and enthusiasm
- Candidates should be strongly motivated by CDC’s development mission and ideally demonstrate some commitment to development or social goals through previous executive or non-executive activity.
Our cultural values
We look for team members who aspire, as we do, to work at our best and to be:
- Impact-led, commercially rigorous
- Tenacious in the face of challenges
- Collaborative and caring
CDC is committed to diversity and inclusion and welcomes all applicants regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation or educational background.
Please provide a cover letter with your application