Investment Associate, Industrial Businesses, Equity Investments
- Our mission is to support the building of businesses throughout Africa and South Asia, to create jobs and make a lasting difference to people’s lives in some of the world’s poorest places.
- We aim to invest in countries where we can have the greatest impact. In countries where the private sector is weak and jobs are scarce.
- We invest in sectors where growth leads to jobs – both directly and indirectly. In sectors such as manufacturing, agribusiness, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education. Last year, the businesses we invest in created more than a million jobs.
- We are successful because we are a high quality investment organisation, using the best commercial skills and judgement to make investments in great companies and support them to grow over the long term. We therefore want to attract people with these skills but who are motivated to use them to dramatically improve the private sector in Africa and South Asia
- For further information, please visit our website cdcgroup.com
The Equity Investments Group at CDC exists to employ commercial equity capital whilst also having a strong developmental impact. Over the last three years, the teams have deployed $1b+ across Africa and South Asia with a strong pipeline of additional investment opportunity. The Industrial Businesses team focuses on Real Estate, Manufacturing, Logistics and Business Services companies and has deployed $240m of equity in 6 companies to date.
The Associate’s primary role is to support the senior members of the Industrial Businesses Equity deal team. This will include assisting with:
- Evaluating new investment proposals or potential target businesses, including conducting financial analysis, valuation exercises, financial modeling, etc.
- Having responsibility for aspects of the deal processes including working on commercial, financial, tax and legal due diligence, typically alongside advisors
- Undertaking research into specific sectors and countries that fit within the investment mandate in order to develop sector strategies
- Supporting the post-deal management of the investment portfolio
- Maintaining the deal pipeline and filtering potential opportunities
- Preparation of valuation and presentation materials for investment committees
Alongside their day-to-day work, Industrial Businesses Associates are part of a programme of informal mentoring and formal training designed to build both technical and soft skill programs overseen by a senior member of the investment team.
Evaluation of new investment proposals:
- Initial filtering of investment proposals for deals that fit within CDC’s developmental and investment mandate
- Analysing financial information relating to specific companies
- Building or analysing financial models and conducting sensitivity analysis
- Assisting with reports to be presented to investment committee for approval and participating in the meetings
- Conducting a detailed valuation on a company using various methods
- Updating the CDC Group eFront (database) on a regular basis
- Assisting with the due diligence on a specific company, sector, and country
- Undertaking research into regions, countries and specific sectors on an ad-hoc basis. This will include providing support to a sector mapping exercise that is currently underway
- Undertaking research in to specific businesses or projects
- Keeping up to date with market developments and monitoring factors that can affect the markets and considering how these might affect the pipeline and portfolio companies
- Monitoring the financial news and updating the team of material information in the target countries, sector and companies
- Preparing periodic reports and working with the deal teams to help in the monitoring of investees' financial and strategic performance, including compliance with CDC’s Environment, Social and Governance requirements
Candidates must be strongly motivated by CDC’s proposition. This requires:
- An awareness of and appreciation for CDC’s objectives, outside of personal motivations and strongly motivated by these aims
- Some evidence of these values is useful (E.g., volunteering, career changes due to changing motivations)
- An appreciation of what CDC is doing and a real desire and passion to be part of CDC's next phase of development
- History of working with 'best in class' employers in their respective fields
- Appropriate periods with each previous employer and explicable career moves
- The flexibility and desire to spend time in the countries in which CDC invests
- An understanding of the remuneration and its structure, with the trade-offs it requires and a level-headed degree of long-term comfort with it
- University degree or equivalent
- At least 2 years’ relevant business experience. Exposure to emerging market
- finance, especially in Africa and Asia, is helpful
- Experience within private equity and/or investment banking or consulting is desirable
- Analytical, research and valuation skills, including the ability to analyse company reports, sector data, economics and relevant political events.
- Report writing and advanced knowledge of Excel is imperative
- Good business communication and presentation skills
- Ability to work to deadlines and manage time effectively
- An active interest in investing in developing countries.
- Demonstrable alignment with CDC mandate, mission and values
- Ability to analyse a Company’s financial statements
- Strong excel modeling skills
- Experience in valuation techniques
- Ability to work on multiple deals across products and sectors
- Basic commercial insight into the challenges and issues that businesses face
- Basic understanding of private equity and the challenges/issues involved with this type of investment
- Understanding of emerging market environments
- Ability to review financial analysis and make commercial assessments
- Good understanding of how to formulate ideas in order to originate deals
- Evidence of relationship building and ability to support investee companies
- Experience of structuring, reviewing and negotiating investment proposals
- Relationship building within and across different teams internally
We look for candidates who share our culture and reflect our identity, the CDC identities are described as follows:
- Compassion is central to everything we do
- We owe our clients and prospective clients a fast and thoughtful process
- We accept the tough challenges inherent in our mission
- We are quick and non-defensive when things go wrong
- We oppose bureaucracy
- We never forget that we are investing and spending tax payers’ money
- We promote a fulfilling work environment
For further information please see our website (www.cdcgroup.com)
Please submit a cover note with your application.
Posted on: 7th September 2017
Closing on: 6th October 2017