Investment Associate, Equity - Infrastructure
- CDC is the UK’s development finance institution. Founded 70 years ago, we invest in the most challenging markets of Africa and South Asia with the aim of supporting economic development. CDC has net assets of £5.1bn, with over 1300 growing businesses in the portfolio.
- Last year we committed over £1billion of capital across 50 transactions.
- CDC is wholly owned by the UK government, who has committed a further £3.5bn of capital for CDC to deploy over the next two to three years.
- We are expanding our presence in Africa and South Asia with further new offices openings in 2020.
- At CDC, we take an entrepreneurial approach to investment. We think innovatively about ways to deploy our capital, attract and mobilise other investors, and drive transformational impact.
- Primarily, CDC invests to achieve impact and a financial return which is reinvested into more businesses. We aim to create jobs and accelerate economic prosperity and focus on sectors that will do this; manufacturing, food and agriculture, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education.
- CDC works with like-minded ambitious people who are primarily motivated by our mission to deliver impact. We are a growing team of over 400 and place immense value on diversity within our organisation.
- Read more about us on our website cdcgroup.com
Team and role overview
- The Infrastructure teams covers key sub-sectors such as power (generation, transmission & distribution), transportation, gas infrastructure and water.
- Our typical equity investment is $20-200m of growth capital for the expansion of existing companies/platforms or greenfield opportunities in Africa and South Asia.
- The Infrastructure equity team, primarily based in London with presence in India, currently has a portfolio of 8 investments. Examples include:
- Globeleq – Africa’s leading developer, owner and operator of power projects with operational capacity in excess of 1GW
- The Africa Power Platform – JV with the Aga Khan Foundation to develop power projects across Africa (especially hydro)
- Ayana –CDC’s renewable energy platform in India with 500MW of solar projects under development
- Zephyr – 50MW wind power project in Pakistan, which is currently operational
- Gridworks – CDC’s wholly owned platform focusing on Transmission & Distribution projects in Africa
The Associate’s primary role is to support the senior members of the Equity (Infrastructure) Investments deal team. This will include assisting with:
- Undertaking research into specific sub-sectors and countries that fit within the investment mandate in order to develop sector strategies.
- Evaluating new investment proposals or potential target businesses, including conducting financial analysis, valuation exercises, financial modelling, etc.
- Having responsibility for aspects of the deal processes including working with due diligence and other advisors.
- Supporting in the post-deal management of the investment portfolio.
- Maintaining the deal pipeline and filtering potential opportunities.
- Preparation of valuation and presentation materials for investment committees.
- Undertaking research into regions, countries and specific sectors on an ad-hoc basis. This will include providing support to sector mapping exercises.
- Undertaking research in to specific businesses or projects including traveling to meet management teams and advisers.
- Keeping up to date with market developments and monitoring factors that can affect the markets and considering how these might affect the pipeline and portfolio companies.
- Monitoring the financial news and updating the team of material information in the target countries, sector and companies.
Evaluation of new investment proposals:
- Initial filtering of investment proposals for deals that fit within CDC’s developmental and investment mandate.
- Analysing financial information relating to specific companies.
- Building or analysing financial models and conducting sensitivity analysis.
- Assisting with reports to be presented to investment committee for approval and participating in the meetings.
- Conducting detailed valuations on companies using various methods.
- Assisting with the due diligence on a specific company, sector, and country.
- Preparing periodic reports and working with the deal teams to help in the monitoring of investees financial and strategic performance, including compliance with CDC’s Environment, Social and Governance requirements.
Background, skills, aptitude
- Must have at least 3-4 years infrastructure experience from private equity, investment banking or transaction services
- Exposure to emerging market finance, especially in Africa and Asia, is advantageous.
- Solid analytical, research and valuation skills, including the ability to analyse company reports, sector data, economics and relevant political events; and to make commercial assessments based on this analysis.
- Report writing, and advanced knowledge of Excel and financial modelling is essential.
- University degree or equivalent
- Good business communication and presentation skills.
- Basic commercial insight into the challenges and issues that businesses face.
- Understanding/appreciation of emerging market environments; ability to travel for business.
- Ability to build relationships within and across teams and externally.
- Candidates should be strongly motivated by CDC’s development mission and ideally demonstrate some commitment to development or social goals through previous executive or non-executive activity
We look for colleagues who are
- Impact-led and commercially rigorous
- Tenacious in the face of challenges
- Collaborative and caring
CDC is committed to diversity and inclusion and welcomes all applicants regardless of gender, age, educational background, national origin, ethnic origin, disability, sexual orientation and religion.
Please provide a cover letter with your application.
Role opened: 20 May 2020
Role closed: 22 June 2020