Investment Manager, Financial Institutions, Debt
- Our mission is to support the building of businesses throughout Africa and South Asia, to create jobs and make a lasting difference to people’s lives in some of the world’s poorest places.
- We aim to invest in countries where we can have the greatest impact. In countries where the private sector is weak and jobs are scarce.
- We invest in sectors where growth leads to jobs – both directly and indirectly. In sectors such as manufacturing, agribusiness, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education. Last year, the businesses we invest in created more than a million jobs.
- We are successful because we are a high quality investment organisation, using the best commercial skills and judgement to make investments in great companies and support them to grow over the long term. We therefore want to attract people with these skills but who are motivated to use them to dramatically improve the private sector in Africa and South Asia
- For further information, please visit our website cdcgroup.com
- To play a leading role in the development of CDC’s Financial Institutions direct debt business (ranging from guarantees and senior loans to tier II capital) and Trade Finance transactions (funded and unfunded MRPAs, funded trade lines to FIs, structured trade transactions, trade finance loans etc.) through origination, structuring, execution and monitoring of investment opportunities that meet CDC’s commercial and development impact criteria. The role is focussed on debt transactions across CDC’s geographies (Africa and South Asia), but with a specific focus on growing the Africa business. The investments would mainly be into banks, as well as non-bank financial intermediaries such as microfinance institutions, leasing and factoring companies, mortgage lenders, and fintech companies among others that meet CDC’s commercial and development impact criteria.
- Originate debt investment opportunities utilising your own and CDC’s relationships with commercial banks, DFIs and other networks, and in co-operation with CDC’s Financial Institutions Direct Equity and Intermediated Equity teams and other relevant departments.
- Develop/maintain a network of relevant contacts with commercial banks, investment banks, DFIs, advisors, consultancy and research firms.
- Contribute to market-mapping exercises, where relevant, in close co-operation with the Sector teams as well as develop targeted debt origination strategies to focus our investments into institutions and geographies where we can achieve scale and significant development impact.
- Develop marketing and pitch-book materials that effectively communicate CDC’s investment priorities and credit risk appetite to partners and clients.
- Provide visibility to CDC’s Financial Institutions Debt business by participating in conferences, etc.
- Develop innovative approaches / products to fill market gaps and complement existing product offerings.
- Present high-quality investment proposals through CDC’s investment process.
Loan Structuring and Execution
Portfolio Construction and Monitoring
- Deliver a high quality, diversified portfolio of Financial Institution Debt transactions that include senior loans and subordinated debt.
- Structure and negotiate terms with clients appropriate to commercially acceptable standards, ensuring legal documentation that is best of class.
- Manage the preparation and presentation to the Investment Committee of screening and credit papers for new deals, as well as the preparation and presentation of monitoring papers for existing deals.
- Ensure the maintenance of a high-quality portfolio post-disbursement including financials, development impact and environmental, social and business integrity, leveraging internal specialists as needed.
- Apply appropriate portfolio monitoring processes that include preparation of periodic monitoring reports for CDC’s Investment Committee, checks for early warning signals, review of waiver requests and amendments, and thereby present recommendations for CDC’s Investment Committee or as required to comply with relevant regulations.
Deal Team Management
- Lead small deal teams to execute on the above.
- Guide more junior members of the Financial Institutions Debt Team, through sharing of experience and implementation of best practice in financial analysis, structuring, due diligence, term sheet preparation, negotiation of covenants and written and formal presentation to Investment Committee.
- Include and manage the engagement of support teams (Environmental, Social, Business Integrity and Development Impact), ensuring all internal stakeholders can achieve their objectives.
- Liaise regularly with the Head of the Financial Institutions Debt team on deal progress, issues and team development.
Contribute to Strategic and Other Internal Initiatives
- Develop/maintain relationships with CDC’s Debt teams, Direct Equity and Sector teams and the Intermediated Equity team, as well as other relevant teams.
- Maintain/develop knowledge of markets, geographies and sectors relevant to CDC’s Financial Institutions Debt business.
- Lead/contribute to other ad hoc internal initiatives, strategic or otherwise.
- A proven background in international finance, preferably in a Development Finance Institution or in corporate / investment banking, within the debt investments, capital markets (loan origination), structured finance or leveraged finance team in emerging markets.
- Proven track record of originating, structuring and closing complex loan transactions in difficult environments.
- Management experience of leading deal teams, a hands-on transactor that will also nurture the development of others.
- Previous experience working in or with financial institutions will be a distinct advantage.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field (finance, economics, business administration) if relevant, but is not a prerequisite.
- Proficiency in French would be an advantage.
- Excellent credit, financial and structuring skills.
- Strong understanding of due diligence processes, bank loan portfolio reviews, financial terms, legal terms.
- Loan product knowledge including an understanding of market practice and credit risk structuring experience in emerging market economies.
- Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- We look for candidates who share our culture and reflect our identity, the CDC identities are described as follows:
- Compassion is central to everything we do
- We owe our clients and prospective clients a fast and thoughtful process
- We accept the tough challenges inherent in our mission
- We are quick and non-defensive when things go wrong
- We oppose bureaucracy
- We never forget that we are investing and spending tax payers’ money
- We promote a fulfilling work environment
Please include a cover letter with your application
Role Posted on: 25/06/2018
Role Closes on: 24/07/2018