The Chief Investment Office works with investment teams to set and execute the investment strategy across all sectors, products, regions and capital portfolios. The Office of the CIO covers three areas overseen by the Chief Investment Officer:
- Asset Allocation and Capital Solutions
- Investment Policy and Decision Making
- Portfolio Management and Special Situations
Building off success with Catalyst Strategies, CDC’s Asset Allocation and Capital Solutions team is a newly created function that works across two new priority areas for CDC:
- Asset allocation: Providing strategic direction on shaping CDC’s future portfolio to deliver our impact and financial objectives across geographies, sectors and products. The team will provide an anchor point to prioritise and guide decision-making on these opportunities, in collaboration with key partners across the firm.
- Capital Solutions: Providing the tools to deliver CDC’s development goals, either through existing pools of capital (Growth, Catalyst, CDC Plus) or with new pools of capital, for which key parameters around impact, risk, return and governance must be designed.
Each of these capabilities will rely on providing meaningful business intelligence and portfolio analysis to support leadership and decision making, in service of the Asset Allocation and Capital Strategy ambitions and the broader CDC business.
The team is led by Deputy CIO Yasemin Saltuk Lamy and comprises four senior team members each leading different work streams. This Associate role is part of a planned build-out of the junior team, with a primarily focus on the build out of the Asset Allocation function. They would also support the rest of the team across projects as needed, with key responsibilities as below.
Develop asset allocation framework and toolkit
- Support the development of a robust asset allocation framework that considers development impact, return, risk, cost efficiency and capital efficiency. This will be applied to the whole $6 billion portfolio across products, sectors, geographies, and covering both new and existing pools of capital.
- Create and maintain a set of models to facilitate regular analysis and real-time data across the pipeline and portfolio
- Own and enhance existing tools and data systems which enable the tracking of pipeline and portfolio performance, portfolio optimisation and forecasting model.
- Contribute to the design of the data architecture of CDC to enable this
- Liaise with relevant functions within CDC – Finance, Investment teams, Risk, Operations, Impact Group – to ensure the framework ties into the other functions as analytical capacity grows across CDC.
Drive implementation of the asset allocation framework and optimal portfolio across the business
- Analyse inputs, develop options for target portfolios, and present output(s) to enable strategic asset allocation and decision making
- Support the delivery of management / shareholder reporting and tracking of key targets to monitor progress against optimal portfolio
- Drive regular reviews of portfolio evolution with management to determine whether any portfolio tilts or adjustments are required over time
Support with analytics for projects across the team such as:
- Support analysis and reporting of key investment and impact performance data across the portfolio to drive dynamic adjustments and decision making
- Support implementation of new capital tools, potentially on workstreams such as portfolio modelling, market mapping/ research, pipeline development and structuring.
- Provide support to ongoing development and management of Catalyst Strategies, for example by developing case studies and other relevant analysis for scaling up strategies
- Collaborate with the members of the CIO Office and provide input and support for ad hoc projects.
- Must be proficient in quantitative analytics, with professional experience in financial services (Private Equity / Investment Banking / Investment Management etc.)
- University degree in data science, finance, business, economics, math, physics or relevant adjacencies (or equivalent)
- Demonstrable interest in development finance in emerging markets (professional experience working in relevant markets would be desirable)
- Professional qualifications in financial analysis would be a plus
- Strong numerical, analytical and data management skills
- Financial modelling skills including at transaction and portfolio level with experience of portfolio monitoring and analysis (across different financial and other dimensions)
- Experience in project management, effective communication and independently driving workstreams
- Exposure to multiple financial products, portfolio construction experience and financial structuring will be a benefit
- Coding experience with knowledge of programming languages or statistical analysis software is a plus
- Creative, innovative and entrepreneurial spirit. Comfort with pioneering a path where none exists. Equally, able to prioritise and focus energy on key outcomes.
- Ability to work collaboratively across sector and product teams and stakeholders at all levels.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including presentation skills. Experience with professional writing ideal.
Style and motivation:
- The ideal candidate is excited by the complexity and ambiguity of the markets and products CDC operate with and within and should be : smart, fun, collaborative, creative, entrepreneurial, solution-oriented, open-minded and effective, flexible in nature as we build a new function and team.
- Must be highly driven by CDC’s development mandate, and enthusiastic for the chance to establish CDC as a pioneer in the field of market-building, higher risk investing, and ideally demonstrate some commitment to development or social goals through previous professional or personal activity.
Our cultural values
We look for team members who aspire, as we do, to work at our best and to be:
- Impact-led, commercially rigorous
- Tenacious in the face of challenges
- Collaborative and caring
CDC is committed to diversity and inclusion and welcomes all applicants regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation or educational background.
Please provide a cover letter with your application