Investment Executive, Direct Equity, Consumer Businesses, South Asia (Mumbai)
- Our mission is to support the building of businesses throughout Africa and South Asia, to create jobs and make a lasting difference to people’s lives in some of the world’s poorest places.
- We aim to invest in countries where we can have the greatest impact. In countries where the private sector is weak and jobs are scarce.
- We invest in sectors where growth leads to jobs – both directly and indirectly. In sectors such as manufacturing, agribusiness, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education. Last year, the businesses we invest in created more than a million jobs.
- We are successful because we are a high quality investment organisation, using the best commercial skills and judgement to make investments in great companies and support them to grow over the long term. We therefore want to attract people with these skills but who are motivated to use them to dramatically improve the private sector in Africa and South Asia
- For further information, please visit our website cdcgroup.com
To play a leading role in the development of CDC’s direct equity investments in the consumer sector in South Asia. CDC invests from its own balance sheet and, depending on the opportunity, has the flexibility to take equity stakes ranging from one to 100 per cent. The role is focused on equity transactions across South Asia and in sectors that would support significant employment creation such as healthcare, education and agribusiness.
In addition to being involved in the management of existing investments, the incumbent is expected to actively handle the evaluation and execution process for deals being analyzed. The individual will have to demonstrate creativity in developing innovative structures to maximize return on capital deployed. This is a truly hands-on role and requires an understanding of the consumer sector in India, as well as South Asia markets.
- Originate Qualitatively and quantitatively evaluate potential transactions including but not limited to
- Detailed macro, sector and company research
- Financial and cash flow modelling
- Identifying key investment risks and mitigants, and
- Benchmarking and peer comparison.
- Review, challenge, interpret and analyse due diligence reports, and report findings and conclusions to senior members of the deal team.
- Detailed evaluation including rigorous valuation, assessment of potential risks and upsides
- Assist the deal lead in preparing detailed credit analysis and relevant materials to help present the investment case to senior management and Investment Committee members.
Structuring and Execution:
- Take a lead on financial modelling which will include cash flow analysis, debt sizing and sensitising external models; the analysis will be used in assessing the commercial viability, identifying optimal capital structure and negotiating key deal terms.
- Work with in-house legal team and external counsels to prepare and coordinate the execution of NDAs
Investment Strategy & Execution:
- Work with the team in South Asia and manage the evaluation and execution process including preliminary screening of opportunities
- Manage 3rd party paid diligence including commercial, financial, legal and tax advisors
- Contribute innovative ideas and /or structures that can produce value creating opportunities for the company.
- Assist the deal team during negotiation with promoters
Post Investment Monitoring:
- Monitor closely the progress of the companies in the portfolio to ensure optimal performance. Responsibilities would include: reviewing company reports, monitoring compliance against covenants, flagging any potential issues, preparing and presenting monitoring papers for review by CDC’s Investment Committee.
- Gauge the right time to bring in incremental investments into the company to ensure balance between over-dilution and cash constraint.
- Work with research teams/economists/Bankers within and outside the group to monitor global/local trends that will affect timing and type of exit for each investment
- Work closely with the company, to create sound exit opportunities (IPO/Trade sale/Up sell) when the stage of growth/time is right.
- At least five years post qualification experience in management consulting, private equity or investment banking
- Strong Industry / Sector Knowledge in the consumer sector in India / South Asia. Should be able to build a story or thesis around a deal and assertively put forward his/her thoughts.
- Prior investing experience in India / South Asia will be preferable but not mandatory
- Impeccable Academic and professional credentials with a Master’s degree in a relevant field (finance, economics, business administration)
- Financial Modelling: Excellent financial modelling experience (operating models, cash flow analysis etc.). The candidate should be able to build models from scratch as well as should be able to sensitise external models.
- Analytical Skills: Ability to analyse economic, sector and company data to assess various risks inherent in the credit / transaction.
- Strong Verbal and Written Communication Skills: Ability to prepare clear and concise credit papers for investment committee and senior management. Strong verbal communication so as to effectively converse with internal (team members, senior management, investment committee) and external (clients, financing partners, lawyers, consultants) stakeholders.
- Communication: Appropriate written/verbal communication to effectively carry out role
- Team Working: Collaboration with own team and the larger employee community
- Results Focus: Drive to achieve objectives/results
- Personal Effectiveness: Organising self/teams to meet agreed deadlines
- Coaching/Mentoring: Taking time to develop and support collegues
- Influencing/Persuading: Ability to obtain agreement and cooperation in a ‘win-win’ fashion
Please submit a cover letter with your application.
Posted on: 2 February 2018
Closing on: 3 March 2018